Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kindle and other E-book readers discussion. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    New releases are typically priced around the same as their paperback equivalents, but plenty of books are available for free.
    When you say new releases, can that include books that are a year old but are still very popular?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Always_Happy)
    When you say new releases, can that include books that are a year old but are still very popular?

Yeah, anything which authors are still able to make a significant flow of income from typically cost money in digital formats too. Prices can drop quite a lot though, a series I'm reading have been published from 2009 onwards can be bought for £4 as eBooks while their paperbacks still have an RRP of £8-£10, for example.

ReputationRep:
    I got a kindle because I like reading pirate books.

*cough* That is, books about pirates... Yargh!

ReputationRep:
    You might want to look into what Google is once you've got your head around Kindles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yeah, anything which authors are still able to make a significant flow of income from typically cost money in digital formats too. Prices can drop quite a lot though, a series I'm reading have been published from 2009 onwards can be bought for £4 as eBooks while their paperbacks still have an RRP of £8-£10, for example.
    Oh wow! I'm starting to think a kindle would be a good investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)

Haha! I can't say I've ever read a pirate book but I'm glad you enjoy them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henwin)
    You might want to look into what Google is once you've got your head around Kindles.
    Thanks sooo much for your reply! You've been very helpful...

ReputationRep:
    If you have a smartphone/ipad/itouch, find 'Amazon Kindle' on Androind/App Store. It's a free app, which you can download books from (some are free, some aren't).
    There's also the Kindle, which is the original e-reader and is apparently brilliant,but I know is quite expensive. Some companies have been making knockoff ones- I know WHSmith stock the Kabuki (something like that) E-Reader, which is about £30 cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HellOnHighHeels)
    If you have a smartphone/ipad/itouch, find 'Amazon Kindle' on Androind/App Store. It's a free app, which you can download books from (some are free, some aren't).
    There's also the Kindle, which is the original e-reader and is apparently brilliant,but I know is quite expensive. Some companies have been making knockoff ones- I know WHSmith stock the Kabuki (something like that) E-Reader, which is about £30 cheaper.
    Thanks for this, is the app like iBooks then?

ReputationRep:
    I have both the Kindle and Kobo app on my android phone...and both were free downloads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)

rofl,

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    Thanks for this, is the app like iBooks then?

From the little I know, yeah The classics are free, andbooks are generally about the £3-6 mark

ReputationRep:
    May I ask why?

Haha! I can't say I've ever read a pirate book but I'm glad you enjoy them.

Thanks sooo much for your reply! You've been very helpful...

Got to be trolling.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of getting a Kobo for uni so my room isn't crammed with loads of books for my English course. Reckon it's worth it? Bearing in mind that a lot of books I'll only need for one week/a little bit of referencing in essays so I won't need to have paper copies that I can write in depth notes in!! And I can't always rely on being able to get them from the library...

(Plus these Kindle/Kobo covers are beaut and I quite fancy the excuse to buy one! http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/stor...eywords=kindle)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan.c)
    Thinking of getting a Kobo for uni so my room isn't crammed with loads of books for my English course. Reckon it's worth it? Bearing in mind that a lot of books I'll only need for one week/a little bit of referencing in essays so I won't need to have paper copies that I can write in depth notes in!! And I can't always rely on being able to get them from the library...

(Plus these Kindle/Kobo covers are beaut and I quite fancy the excuse to buy one! http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/stor...eywords=kindle)
    I got a Sony because at the time it was the only e-reader that allowed me to physically take note on the book I was reading and it proved incredibly useful for tutorial readings I had to do. I could just import my notes on my laptop and I was sorted.

It's also very useful when you need several books with you and cannot be bothered carrying all of them around, like when you need to go to the library, or you have some reading to do on the train home, etc. But yeah, it's definitely, definitely worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    Got to be trolling.
    I am not a troll.

ReputationRep:

This is just me, but personally I don't like using my kindle for study books because it's not quite as easy to keep flicking back and forth should you need to, and find certain pages etc plus as you say you can't just scribble notes on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I got a Sony because at the time it was the only e-reader that allowed me to physically take note on the book I was reading and it proved incredibly useful for tutorial readings I had to do. I could just import my notes on my laptop and I was sorted.

It's also very useful when you need several books with you and cannot be bothered carrying all of them around, like when you need to go to the library, or you have some reading to do on the train home, etc. But yeah, it's definitely, definitely worth it.
    What sort of price is the Sony? I'm better at handwritten notes on paper to be honest, but that's something to consider

(Original post by Antifazian)
    This is just me, but personally I don't like using my kindle for study books because it's not quite as easy to keep flicking back and forth should you need to, and find certain pages etc plus as you say you can't just scribble notes on them.
    I suppose that's a point, isn't there an option on most e-readers to go to a page? So I could use that providing I made enough notes on paper

ReputationRep:
    What sort of price is the Sony? I'm better at handwritten notes on paper to be honest, but that's something to consider

I suppose that's a point, isn't there an option on most e-readers to go to a page? So I could use that providing I made enough notes on paper
    It depends on the book, some of them don't define the page numbers/chapters so the kindle doesn't jump to them for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    It depends on the book, some of them don't define the page numbers/chapters so the kindle doesn't jump to them for you.
    That's a bit of a pain then :/ I'm not really sure what to do then

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.