Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    http://articles.squarefootball.net/s...-ben-arfa.html

"Manchester City’s Nigel De Jong’s leg breaker on Newcastle United’s Hatem Ben Arfa."

Edit: Though I will concede that it's contentious.
    There was one in this season's match between us at Eastlands on Cesc that I thought was especially dangerous. Not much was made of it because Cesc recovered quickly but with a little less luck it could have resulted in a bad injury.

He can be a decent player and he's not a total thug in the Bowyer mould, but some of the tackles he makes are just dangerous.

(Original post by Jeppasloth)
    You have much worse tacklers in your own squad.
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    Without going into it in too much depth; retrospectively the FA did nothing despite the media **** storm, the Newcastle fans at the ground had no problem, the Newcastle manager had no problem. Personally I think it was a tough and unlucky tacke but not a bad one. De Jong is not your typical thuggish destroyer, his tackles are always clean and he has fantastic technique.

Speaking of tackles. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    There was one in this season's match between us at Eastlands on Cesc that I thought was especially dangerous. Not much was made of it because Cesc recovered quickly but with a little less luck it could have resulted in a bad injury.

He can be a decent player and he's not a total thug in the Bowyer mould, but some of the tackles he makes are just dangerous.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said he does what the manager says. In a City shirt, playing under City managers he has made 1 bad tackle (For arguments sake). That's despite his entire game being based around tackling and him playing for 2 years. Until someone shows me a bad tackle he's made I'll continue posting my "gems" and you can stick to listening to the nonsensical media you despise and disagree with on every other issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Such as?
    Wilshere and RVP.

ReputationRep:
    Without going into it in too much depth; retrospectively the FA did nothing despite the media **** storm, the Newcastle fans at the ground had no problem, the Newcastle manager had no problem. Personally I think it was a tough and unlucky tacke but not a bad one. De Jong is not your typical thuggish destroyer, his tackles are always clean and he has fantastic technique.

I don't know why you guys are disagreeing with this. De Jong is generally very rough but is by no means a "dirty player". He has been labelled as such because of that one tackle in the WC final and it is very clear that he was instructed to be brutal by the manager in that game.

We as Arsenal fans should know how such a tag could destroy the player and we shouldn't fall in the trap the media sets for us, remember how Eduardo was labelled a "dirty cheat" because of one dive?

His tackle on Ben Arfa was not even a red card offence, he just got unlucky. Can you really compare De Jong to Kevin Davies, Savage, Diouf, Keane, Viera, Vinnie Jones or Duncan Ferguson? And this is just from the top of my head..

ReputationRep:
    Wilshere and RVP.
    While you are at it add Fabregas

ReputationRep:
    Wilshere and RVP.
    Ah now you're just breaking the rules. You can't complain that your own guy just "does what he's told" and is "really a good tackler" then say that RVP and Jack are dirty.
    Neither of 'em have anything on Vieira in his prime

ReputationRep:
    You're right I probably can't because I don't watch you every game so isolated incidents will stick out. But I have just as much right to call Wilshere a bad tackler for this one tackle as you do De Jong for his one tackle.

ReputationRep:
    You're right I probably can't because I don't watch you every game so isolated incidents will stick out. But I have just as much right to call Wilshere a bad tackler for this one tackle as you do De Jong for his one tackle.
    Absolutely.
    Except that I wasn't trying to say that De Jong is always a dreadful tackler, I said a couple of posts back that he isn't the best but he's by no means the worst. Not trying to argue about this. I imagine there will be quite a few hard tackles tonight, just hoping for no more injuries tbh, whether from play or tackles.

ReputationRep:
    Wilshere and RVP.
    Wilshere, admittedly, has made one or two poor tackles. He is young though and developing very rapidly, I think he will leave (and in recent games, has already left) the dangerous tackles behind.

RVP's slide tackles are rubbish but I don't think I've really seen a dangerous one. He should cut them out though because they never win the ball anyway.

I'll admit that my first comment about De Jong was too harsh. It's easy to forget that in the position he plays he is required to make important challenges a lot and it's inevitable that some run the risk of causing injury - so my bad for that. Still, I think his tackling, on occasion, is reckless and dangerous; more so than it should be.

ReputationRep:
    I wish Wilshere could tackle like De Jong -- and I think De Jong is a nutcase. We need one of them.

ReputationRep:
    I never called De Jong a dirty player; he may tackle hard but there's generally no malice involved (except his tackle on Alonso which resembled something one would see in a Kung Fu tournament rather than a football match).

He's no Keane, put it that way.

City to win by 2 goals tonight. Watch this space.

ReputationRep:
    And something about saying the word 'tackle' and De Jong sounding like Dong makes this all a bit homo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    I wish Wilshere could tackle like De Jong -- and I think De Jong is a nutcase. We need one of them.
    I'm quite proud of our disciplinary record too.

ReputationRep:
    Where's Dabo or whatever he was called? The one Barton battered?

He must be scarred enough to become a decent midfield enforcer.

ReputationRep:
    Harmeet, London, via text: "Wow..really looking forward tonight! Gonna be a cracker. Got my Cambridge medicine application decision day tomorrow too...so some good old live text then MOTD to take my mind off it!"

I bet he/she posts on here :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Harmeet, London, via text: "Wow..really looking forward tonight! Gonna be a cracker. Got my Cambridge medicine application decision day tomorrow too...so some good old live text then MOTD to take my mind off it!"

I bet he/she posts on here :teehee:
    You found me

Spoiler:
    Show
    I kidd I'm too hood for Cambridge anyway :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Hart
    Richards Kolo Kompany Zabaleta
    De Jong Barry
    Milner Yaya Jo
    Tevez

Is how we'll line up. As attacking a side as we could put out realistically.

City site has your team as well;

Fabianski
    Sagna Djourou Kos Clichey
    Wilshere Song Fabregas
    Walcott RVP Nasri

ReputationRep:
    Hart
    Richards Kolo Kompany Zabaleta
    De Jong Barry
    Milner Yaya Jo
    Tevez

Is how we'll line up. As attacking a side as we could put out realistically.

City site has your team as well;

Fabianski
    Sagna Djourou Kos Clichey
    Wilshere Song Fabregas
    Walcott RVP Nasri
    *Rubs hands together*
    This has the potential to be an absolute corker.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.