Football forum changes. Add your suggestions. Watch

Deshi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Shouldn't the polls be private so no-one knows whose won until the end?
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I said the same :yep: They can't be changed once it's all been opened though.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
ahq
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Deshi)
We thought about it and decided that leaving them public might help facilitate discussion in the threads. (And I suppose what future ones will be like will depend on how that pans out )
kingkongjaffa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
sub forums for each league / nation ?
ahq
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kingkongjaffa)
That would seem a bit unnecessary, tbh. There's never been so much discussion on non-Prem leagues that the Euro/World Football Thread/The Football League Thread/a thread in Match Discussion couldn't handle it, and we want to keep the forums as uncluttered as possible.
marcusmerehay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kingkongjaffa)
Wouldn't be viable - as we've seen with the Eredivisie discussion which was invariably moved to the Euro/World thread - this probably suffices for general discussion as there isn't sufficient interest.

For the big games though (Copa Del Rey final/Clasicos etc) there are usually already match threads within that sub-forum.
boumavilla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by marcusmerehay)
Wouldn't be viable - as we've seen with the Eredivisie discussion which was invariably moved to the Euro/World thread - this probably suffices for general discussion as there isn't sufficient interest.

For the big games though (Copa Del Rey final/Clasicos etc) there are usually already match threads within that sub-forum.
How about we have a sub-forum for leagues such as German, Dutch, Belgian football etc and call it the Germanic football discussion. And then have a sub-forum also for French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese football??

Btw you're from Iceland, I've been there and I loved it!
JK.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In fairness, I think part of the reason there isn't enough discussion to warrant the extra threads/sub forums is that the overlap between current users of the forum as it is and the users that would potentially post in the proposed threads doesn't exist. Most of the current posters only really care about English football and within that often limit discussion to their own club. The Euro/world football thread is there but only really used for bigger games/news from around Europe. That's not to say that those who post in there don't follow more than they post about, but due to the depth of discussion, probably hold back from posting.

Personally, I'd love to see a world football sub forum with discussion threads for major countries then general threads for other countries within regions. Europe could be divided into Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Holland, Portugal and perhaps even Greece/Turkey with the general thread kept for eastern/central European and Scandinavian football. There could be a general South American thread and separate threads for Argentina and Brazil. General African and Asian threads, too. I understand why there'd be a reluctance to implement the idea, but I reckon there are a good few users already on the site who'd use such a subforum and over time activity may increase with new users joining to use the threads. :dontknow:
marcusmerehay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by boumavilla)
How about we have a sub-forum for leagues such as German, Dutch, Belgian football etc and call it the Germanic football discussion. And then have a sub-forum also for French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese football??

Btw you're from Iceland, I've been there and I loved it!
Again, I don't think that would really work as it's difficult to draw the line. We'd then have to have threads for the Brazilian/Argentine leagues, the MLS, the A, J and K leagues, and so on and so forth.

There still isn't the interest in the first place - there's a couple of posters who are really keen on the Portuguese League and many of us who watch La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga, but because it gets less press coverage it naturally invokes much less discussion.

I'm not from Iceland. :o:
boumavilla
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Again, I don't think that would really work as it's difficult to draw the line. We'd then have to have threads for the Brazilian/Argentine leagues, the MLS, the A, J and K leagues, and so on and so forth.

There still isn't the interest in the first place - there's a couple of posters who are really keen on the Portuguese League and many of us who watch La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga, but because it gets less press coverage it naturally invokes much less discussion.

I'm not from Iceland. :o:
You're an imposter!! :shock:

And I agree with the "loads of different threads" thing, I know what you mean, but you could divide it up into Asain, South American and American, Oceanic, North and South Europe maybe? (Just another suggestion )
JK.
Rep:
?
If there weren't both posters talking about Portuguese football, do you think either of them would post? Personally, I don't. With more specialized threads, you're more likely to get different posters in to begin with, that provides the breeding ground needed to get the continued discussion going. There's nothing to really suggest it'd pick up to the levels of activity that'd warrant a subforum, but by the same token, I think it's unfair to rule out all possibility based on what activity there currently is. If there's the level of interest for someone to create and Eredivisie thread and have a number of replies within hours with posters saying they too watch Dutch football on a regular basis, or at least try to follow it, there's clearly something there. :dontknow:
marcusmerehay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Possibly, but on several occasions I've attempted to start up conversation on some leagues (in particular Ligue 1) and people don't seem to want to 'take the bait'.

I guess I wouldn't be averse to some separate discussion threads on the main European leagues (as I believe we used to have on here) though, and to reserve the Euro/World thread for the minor leagues (minor in the sense of less-talked-about rather than any perceived inferiority).
boumavilla
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Possibly, but on several occasions I've attempted to start up conversation on some leagues (in particular Ligue 1) and people don't seem to want to 'take the bait'.

I guess I wouldn't be averse to some separate discussion threads on the main European leagues (as I believe we used to have on here) though, and to reserve the Euro/World thread for the minor leagues (minor in the sense of less-talked-about rather than any perceived inferiority).
This is a good idea imo!
JK.
Rep:
?

At the moment any attempt to start up such discussion gets lost in the Barca/Madrid, top end Italian and German dominated talk of the Euro thread. Anyone genuinely interested in Ligue 1 above other leagues wouldn't bother reading through the thread to begin with. I've watched a fair bit of French football this season and like to keep up on the rest by listening to the FFW pod and reading around etc. I'd certainly contribute to an individual thread if it existed but wouldn't think to post in the Euro/World thread as I know it's not generally reaching the right audience for the discussion.
Mastermind`
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Deshi)

(Original post by Mess.)
I said the same :yep: They can't be changed once it's all been opened though.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
What Abiraleft said plus we were in a bit of a rush and I couldn't get hold of an Admin to explain to me how to set all the threads so the results appear at the same time. We'll make sure to do it privately next time!

(Original post by JK.)
In fairness, I think part of the reason there isn't enough discussion to warrant the extra threads/sub forums is that the overlap between current users of the forum as it is and the users that would potentially post in the proposed threads doesn't exist. Most of the current posters only really care about English football and within that often limit discussion to their own club. The Euro/world football thread is there but only really used for bigger games/news from around Europe. That's not to say that those who post in there don't follow more than they post about, but due to the depth of discussion, probably hold back from posting.

Personally, I'd love to see a world football sub forum with discussion threads for major countries then general threads for other countries within regions. Europe could be divided into Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Holland, Portugal and perhaps even Greece/Turkey with the general thread kept for eastern/central European and Scandinavian football. There could be a general South American thread and separate threads for Argentina and Brazil. General African and Asian threads, too. I understand why there'd be a reluctance to implement the idea, but I reckon there are a good few users already on the site who'd use such a subforum and over time activity may increase with new users joining to use the threads. :dontknow:
My major worry is that there isn't enough users who have a real interest in world football. There are, or were at least, very few users who watch games that don't involve their clubs as we saw with the ultimate match discussion threads.The powers that be don't like introduce a sub-forum unless there's a very good reason, as you may know. South American thread it'd probably be you mostly and me sporadically posting. For the main European leagues, there's a solid core with guys like Stu, Kev, Deshi, jit, etc. I think what we have now is adequate. Eventually we'll hopefully have enough interest, this forum is growing at an alarming rate - amazing to see threads which the last post was made just over a day ago on the second page.
ahq
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JK.)

I'd pretty much echo what Mastermind` said; I do like the idea, but I'm not certain it would work at this time. :dontknow:
JK.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mastermind`)
My major worry is that there isn't enough users who have a real interest in world football. There are, or were at least, very few users who watch games that don't involve their clubs as we saw with the ultimate match discussion threads.The powers that be don't like introduce a sub-forum unless there's a very good reason, as you may know. South American thread it'd probably be you mostly and me sporadically posting. For the main European leagues, there's a solid core with guys like Stu, Kev, Deshi, jit, etc. I think what we have now is adequate. Eventually we'll hopefully have enough interest, this forum is growing at an alarming rate - amazing to see threads which the last post was made just over a day ago on the second page.
(Original post by Abiraleft)
I'd pretty much echo what Mastermind` said; I do like the idea, but I'm not certain it would work at this time. :dontknow:
I agree with what both of you are saying, I know how things work and wouldn't expect such a sub-forum any time soon, just sounding out the kind of thing that'd interest me really.

Whilst a sub-forum obviously isn't really viable due to the numbers at the moment, I don't think the current activity in the European/World football thread should be used as a yardstick for what activity there would/could be. The obvious step between what there currently is and a potential sub-forum is making more individual threads for different countries/regions, but with the current levels of activity in the main football forum you highlight, such new threads would most likely get lost before they've even really been seen anyway. In that respect, unless the risk is taken to try a subforum there's no point really changing things and as the risk won't be taken I probably should (and will now) just shut up. :lol:

I'm not bothered myself, I just think the site's missing a trick as there's the potential to bring in a lot of new users should the idea take off but there's no real loss if it doesn't. :dontknow:
boumavilla
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It might be a good idea to start the threads just before the start of next season starts as the threads may go a little dry during the summer!
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Last post link not showing for the €2012 sub-forum. :holmes:
ahq
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kevmeister)
Last post link not showing for the €2012 sub-forum. :holmes:
I can't be certain about this, but this might simply be because it's been bumped up so that it's visible on the main Forums page: it seems to be a similar case with the Model House of Commons and Model UN in D&CA. I'll ask if it's a problem. :yy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.44%
No - but I will (74)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.93%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (464)
47.98%

Watched Threads