Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

I am looking to attend some St Johns Ambulance meetings, and maybe look into signing up to be a first responder.

Basically, do you guys know how I can get in touch with the relevant people in my area for this kind of thing? Middlesbrough / York

I'm applying to become a student paramedic which is why I am looking to do the above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arichmond64)
    x
    Hey I've been having a little look for you online and I have to say it is not as easy to find contact details for divisions as it used to be. All I was able to get was the phone number for the North Yorkshire and Teeside region HQ.

Telephone: 01845 521910

Hope this is useful. Tell us how it goes.

PS am a student nurse and there are quite a few student paramedics on my course

ReputationRep:
    Hey any other St Johners in Hampshire? also known as District 2..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingGoonIan)
    :bump:

Sending off my AFA conversion course application this week
    You learn so many new things in AFA .. it's so good!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone know how soon you can learn to be a trainer in SJA? I mean, do you have to be a First Aider or AFA etc before you can train other people?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woodpecker)
    Hey, does anyone know how soon you can learn to be a trainer in SJA? I mean, do you have to be a First Aider or AFA etc before you can train other people?
    Thanks
    A trainer who was a first aider could train the topics in TFA or first aider.while you can become a trainer with PTLLS(or better)and a fresh First aider certificate,getting some operational experience is useful and will make you a better trainer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    A trainer who was a first aider could train the topics in TFA or first aider.while you can become a trainer with PTLLS(or better)and a fresh First aider certificate,getting some operational experience is useful and will make you a better trainer.
    Ok, thanks

ReputationRep:
    im hoping to join the one near me at Keepmoat stadium Doncaster but im also having trouble contacting them, there is no phone number or email address. I really don't want to interrupt in the middle of a meeting if i go in person :/

ReputationRep:
    Do St John Ambulance normally have (as it currently seems) such congested/long waiting lists? I live in the Kent area. I'm a trained first aider (St John Ambulance essential all ages first aid training course) and applied to be a an SJA Cadet 3 months ago, but have got absolutely nothing in response, despite promises of "we'll get back to you in 7 days", "we'll call you back in 2 weeks". I'm being extremely patient but I'm am just wondering whether its simply the case of St John ambulance generally having hundreds/thousands of applicants to respond to all the time resulting in long waiting lists.

How long did everyone typically wait before their application to be a volunteer for SJA was accepted? 3 months seems an awful while to me .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrumChops)
    I'm being extremely patient but I'm am just wondering whether its simply the case of St John ambulance generally having hundreds/thousands of applicants to respond to all the time resulting in long waiting lists.
    (Original post by raveen789)
    x
    Has a current member of St John who has been active for 4 years now I personally do not get this impression. We do not have a waiting list and I highly doubt any other divisions do as we and other divisions in my area are always looking for more members. Sometimes we need to get help from other areas because we do not have enough people to cover duties and this reflects the need to recruit more volunteers. As I say, I highly doubt the division you are trying to join does have a waiting list, I reckon that they just have a poor level of administration and this is the reason for them taking so long.

When I joined St John I did not apply via email, writing or phone. I simply went down to my local division and met them that way. I reccommend finding out when (time and date) and where your local division meets and going down there about 15 minutes before the meeting commences and introducing yourself. That way you will not walk in during a meeting and you will get this sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    Do St John Ambulance normally have (as it currently seems) such congested/long waiting lists? I live in the Kent area. I'm a trained first aider (St John Ambulance essential all ages first aid training course) and applied to be a an SJA Cadet 3 months ago, but have got absolutely nothing in response, despite promises of "we'll get back to you in 7 days", "we'll call you back in 2 weeks". I'm being extremely patient but I'm am just wondering whether its simply the case of St John ambulance generally having hundreds/thousands of applicants to respond to all the time resulting in long waiting lists.

How long did everyone typically wait before their application to be a volunteer for SJA was accepted? 3 months seems an awful while to me .
    With my local St John Ambulance they apparently have a lot of people wanting to start, and i've been waiting for over 5 months, which is a shame really because i do really want to start training and volunteering.

(Original post by KingGoonIan)
    Has a current member of St John who has been active for 4 years now I personally do not get this impression. We do not have a waiting list and I highly doubt any other divisions do as we and other divisions in my area are always looking for more members. Sometimes we need to get help from other areas because we do not have enough people to cover duties and this reflects the need to recruit more volunteers. As I say, I highly doubt the division you are trying to join does have a waiting list, I reckon that they just have a poor level of administration and this is the reason for them taking so long.

When I joined St John I did not apply via email, writing or phone. I simply went down to my local division and met them that way. I reccommend finding out when (time and date) and where your local division meets and going down there about 15 minutes before the meeting commences and introducing yourself. That way you will not walk in during a meeting and you will get this sorted out.
    Thanks a lot for this advice , I think i'll try this aswell since i've been waiting for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prof Dumbledore)
    x
    I agree. I'll just pop down to my local division in person.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I'll just pop down to my local division in person.
    Yeah that'd probably be best, although i might try ringing them first to tell them i'm comming or checking up when they gather, something like that. The only problem is that i'm really nervous going into a crowd of people with no familiar faces. Good luck, hopefully it'll give us both a better responce so we can join too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I am a current SJA member, and following the suggestion from a few friends, I have started blogging about first-aid and about SJA. I would appreciate it you could read and subscribe to it. All comments, good or bad are welcome! My blog is http://thelifeofavolunteermedic.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I started cadets in the summer but couldnt go out on duty due to sporting commitments (gymnastics competition season). I have stopped gym now and am free to go on duty but I am nervous and keep putting it off. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginger_Gymnast92)
    I started cadets in the summer but couldnt go out on duty due to sporting commitments (gymnastics competition season). I have stopped gym now and am free to go on duty but I am nervous and keep putting it off. Any tips?

Im a cadet also, they wont get you to do anything too hard as they know you are only a cadet Always ask for help if you need it. Where is your unit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knightingale1)
    Im a cadet also, they wont get you to do anything too hard as they know you are only a cadet Always ask for help if you need it. Where is your unit?
    Thanks, I know nothing bad will happen I just keep imagining worse-case scenarios and stressing myself out haha My units in West Yorkshire

ReputationRep:
    Aw good My unit is in Hampshire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginger_Gymnast92)
    Hey don't worry about this. I know exactly how you feel it took me ages to get the confidence to treat by myself. New adult members will always have an experienced member alongside them when they are new to treating and even established members work together but as a cadet you should always be supervised by an adult anyway. Treating is an art and I think it's fair to say that there is a bit of acting involved in it. It's always important to make sure your patient feels at ease so you need to act with confidence (this by no means, means do something completely out of your depth).

Hope your first duty goes well and you enjoy the experience. Remember even if you don't treat, observing on duty will be a valuable experience for you. Please let us know how it goes

KGI

ReputationRep:
    Just got my letter of acceptance this morning I'm officially a cadet! So happy and excited, can't wait to start training

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.