Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does Trinity College have matriculation tests for medical applicants?
    Can a trinity college student explain their whole application process, i just want to have an idea of what people went through up to being accepted into the college?

*Would be amazing if a medical applicant could help as i'm am thinking of applying for medicine, but any help is welcome, thankyou

My grades a 11A* in maths,stats,eng,eng lit,physics,bio,chem,re,history, frnech,spanish

i'm doing maths,furthermaths,bio,chem,phys ics at AS

i have work experience, voluntary work/ extra curriculars sorted :yes:

ReputationRep:
    very hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    very hard
    o.0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtgsgirl)
    Does Trinity College have matriculation tests for medical applicants?
    Can a trinity college student explain their whole application process, i just want to have an idea of what people went through up to being accepted into the college?
    It's not any different from any other college, at least up to the interview - not sure why you'd expect it to be. The application process is explained on Cambridge's website - the general application process here (click) and the specific course requirements here. As for interviews, Trinity only has one interview as far as I'm aware (some colleges have two), which varies in length but is in general entirely based on science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Liana*)
    It's not any different from any other college, at least up to the interview - not sure why you'd expect it to be. The application process is explained on Cambridge's website - the general application process here (click) and the specific course requirements here. As for interviews, Trinity only has one interview as far as I'm aware (some colleges have two), which varies in length but is in general entirely based on science. Mine was less than 15 minutes, but other people have had interviews lasting half an hour.
    Which subject were you wanting to read at Cam?...Was the 15 minute interview at Trinity itself or another college?

thanks for your experience

ReputationRep:
    OP, just curious as to why you've chosen trinity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Liana*)
    I read Medicine at Trinity, the interview was at Trinity (4 years ago now though).
    I just sent my application through to study medicine at Trinity 3 days ago........Hope it gets there in one piece

Do u mind if i pm you with a few questions...I'm trying to find out as much as possible but I'm still pretty much in the dark about alot of things.........especially seeing as I'm a long long way from the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    OP, just curious as to why you've chosen trinity?
    oh i went to an open day and was amazed by it
    so i want to find out more about it because i'm also thinking of trinity hall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtgsgirl)
    oh i went to an open day and was amazed by it
    so i want to find out more about it because i'm also thinking of trinity hall
    definately come look round jesus. its much nicer
    we have the biggest grounds, and oldest buildings.

and everyone here is immensley friendly.
    and you dont get tons of tourists wandering around annoying everyone lol

ReputationRep:
    I am visiting my friend at Trinity tomorrow who has invited me and some other friends to a formal dinner at Trinity. He said the dress code was "suits or nice dresses" - can anyone who has been to one tell me how dressy the dress should be?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Not a full-length ballgown but not a floaty summer dress. Anything in between those two extremes will be fine, I'm sure. I've never been to a formal at Trinity but I went to King's and people tended to make a big effort there as we didn't have gowns (compared to lots of other colleges where you can often wear whatever you want but throw a gown over the top)

ReputationRep:
    Birthday suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jigglypuff)
    Not a full-length ballgown but not a floaty summer dress. Anything in between those two extremes will be fine, I'm sure. I've never been to a formal at Trinity but I went to King's and people tended to make a big effort there as we didn't have gowns (compared to lots of other colleges where you can often wear whatever you want but throw a gown over the top)
    Thanks, that was really helpful! Most of the people invited aren't from Cambridge so don't have a gown so maybe I'll up the smartness of the dress a bit!

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to Trinity College to study English. What are the people/tutors/porters/nightlife/rooms like? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i nearly applied there this year.
    From what I know its among the richest if not THE richest college in Cambridge.
    Good luck to you on getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthropax)
    I want to apply to Trinity College to study English. What are the people/tutors/porters/nightlife/rooms like? Thanks
    Read through this thread I've moved your post into

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunty91)
    I applied for Law at Trinity and wasn't given an interview. I thought I at least deserved a chance, given as I applied through CSAS .

Anyone else in the same situation? Trinity do seem to have been pretty harsh this year.
    On the website, they say
    "Do you weight applicants' qualifications differently according to national school league tables?

No we do not: adjusting an applicant's exam record is not a reliable guide to performance at Cambridge."

So if the reason you didn't do as well is because your school didn't have a history of producing students with oxbridge standard grades, then Trinity refuse to be more forgiving.

Wow, that's kind of scared me about applying to Trinity,

ReputationRep:
    You may well be able to get some useful information here, if you haven't already checked it out.

I'm only an offer-holder, so I can't exactly give an in-depth response, but..
    1. The students and other interviewees I met were lovely. All very welcoming and friendly. I would presume this was the same as at any other college. All willing to hold intelligent conversations :rolleyes:
    2. The porters were very... formal... but always willing to help and smiled whenever they saw you. They seemed very helpful - they carried my bags a little way and called taxis and the likes
    3. The room I stayed in was above Trinity Street. It was very spacious and had a small but comfortable bed. Not much storage but lots of work space. The wiki entry ^ has photos of typical rooms and a much better explanation :yep:

Let me know if I can help further.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't noticed this post, sorry. I can't comment on what the people in your year are going to be like. I don't know of anyone who has had any problems with their tutor, generally you don't have all that much contact with your tutor or Director of Studies unless you go to them with a problem. You should have an opportunity to meet your DoS at an open day. The porters are friendly and have been very helpful on the occasions they're needed, but again, it's not something that you'll need to use all that often. The porters lodge is manned 24 hours a day, so they'll be there if you do need them

Nightlife is largely independent of college. Trinity haven't run many Ents this term because the WPR (Wolfson Party Room) is being refurbished, but I gather there are plans for the future. Formal is 6 times a week, and relatively cheap (about £5 for a 3 course meal). As for nightlife out and about in Cambridge, there is an incredible amount of drama/music of a very high standard. I'm personally not really in to clubbing, but the general reception is that the clubs probably aren't quite as good as in a bigger city, but most people still enjoy themselves.

Rooms are very good as well, all of the ones I have seen are large with lots of working space, and some are really huge. They're very good value for money as well. The wiki is good here.

ReputationRep:
    The Trinity website, on the subject of how difficult it is to get in to read English, says "Not particularly. Competition is fierce in most colleges, but Trinity has more place than most." How true is this? It seems like it would be even more difficult to get into Trinity, seeing as its seen as so prestigious etc..

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.