Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Sore loser. :p:

On an even funnier note, you get 9 times the amount of hits if you write "neutral US".
    And about twice as much with Neutrality Iran :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    And about twice as much with Neutrality Iran :confused:
    I can imagine the mullahs typing away "neutral Iran" millions of times to get the US to look elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I would never elect such a person... they are inevitably narrow-minded and unworldly.
    Well, sometimes you have to deal with the cards you're dealt with. I'm not happy with Bush on some issues, particularly immigration, but it's not like we've had stellar alternatives to choose from. I voted for Bush, but it is not outside the realm of possibility that I would have considered voting for someone else if there was an exceptional candidate to pick instead. This is the country that produced brilliant men like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, but Bush, Gore, and Kerry were the only real options we had at the ballot box in the last two elections.

ReputationRep:
    "everytime he stands next to Tony Blair I expect to see a telethon number."
    The Decider...
    Classic.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a problem with America or Americans, any time I've been there I have loved it. They've got better roads and better weather for one thing! Plus they gave us Family Guy and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I don't think you can bash them for being patriotic, only in-your-face patriotism which serves to alienate other nations.
    The problem with America is that it's so big it has extremes of everything:
    - Homophobia and then also lots of Gay Pride
    - Obesity and also huge problems with anorexic celebrities
    - Racism but also multi-culuralism
    You can't just generalise from one of these factors and say all of America is like that!

You can't blame Americans for Anti-Americanims because in general the avergage Joe Bloggs (or John Doe...) on the streets does not effect out view of American. Unfortunately the American Government does itself no favours. When Bush is gone there will be a vast change in Anti-Americanism I'm sure, he has done American no favours. It's the Governmental attitude to war, capitalism and makret domination that is truly shocking.
    Also the American press... I blame them partially as well. Especially when they attack other Americans for expressing their views: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-yMhQv6gf1s Oh yes, she must be mistaken, she will retract what she said, how dare she have an opinion of her own!!!

Plus I hate it when they call free-thinkers communists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reblet)

Also the American press... I blame them partially as well. Especially when they attack other Americans for expressing their views: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-yMhQv6gf1s Oh yes, she must be mistaken, she will retract what she said, how dare she have an opinion of her own!!!

Huh? I watched the youtube link..the didn't attack Ms. Paltrow at all...in fact they were more questioning why she said the things she did, when she could have just said "Hollywood" was very strange an narrow minded.
    But then again who really cares what Gwenyth and the rest of the member of coldplay think. Just keep doing your jobs....

And ...who calls "free thinkers" communists? Communism is dead, baby,.....DEAD. Putinism is the new thing these days.... a charming autocrat is the new vouge..... we have enough "free thinkers" in the US and the UK, they could form a new nation of NUtters...move them to Tuvalu...James Dobson, Rowan Williams, Mathahir Mohhamid , Osama, and the rest of the westboro church...meanwhile we could take the current residents and move them to a nice part of the Florida Keys.......

ReputationRep:
    I think anti-americanism is justifiable when one is presented with obese, aloof, unintellectual archetypes that purposefully raise their voices in large crowds. I don't know why, but I feel almost naturally resentful towards 'plastic' America, when I misfortunately land on channels such as MTV that air ''The Hills'' or ''Sweet Sixteen'' and those other programs based in Malibu that feature hedonistic Americans that want and want and want more and more, consuming so much in terms of comestibles or energy. And then they moan about small things, and whine, and unknowingly imply their apathy towards the outside world and injustices globally.

Yes, they are a nation, obviously, and nationalism is a key component to many Americans lives, whether that be because of intrinsic white imperialist sensibilities or self love, but their confined attitude and reluctance to engage with outsiders on a sincere level can be very provocative in terms of foreign perceptions.

My own reasons for disliking North American governance are mainly hipocrasy, their conduction of foreign affairs and dictating of how the rest of the world should behave, whilst oppressing and bullying their own people. When I say I dislike America, I am mainly talking about the image of modern American people and American government, obviously, as I have not met every American person. There are some charming Americans I know, some even family, but they mostly still fall into the conventional idea of what an annoying American is.

I agree with one of the above posters about how anti-americanism may change with the change in presidency later this year. Bush has done America no favours, because he comes across as illiterate, stupid and uncharismatic. With Obama or Clinton or even McCain, things are sure to change course in American politics and perceptions of American government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reblet)
    I've never had a problem with America or Americans, any time I've been there I have loved it. They've got better roads and better weather for one thing! Plus they gave us Family Guy and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I don't think you can bash them for being patriotic, only in-your-face patriotism which serves to alienate other nations.
    The problem with America is that it's so big it has extremes of everything:
    - Homophobia and then also lots of Gay Pride
    - Obesity and also huge problems with anorexic celebrities
    - Racism but also multi-culuralism
    You can't just generalise from one of these factors and say all of America is like that!

You can't blame Americans for Anti-Americanims because in general the avergage Joe Bloggs (or John Doe...) on the streets does not effect out view of American. Unfortunately the American Government does itself no favours. When Bush is gone there will be a vast change in Anti-Americanism I'm sure, he has done American no favours. It's the Governmental attitude to war, capitalism and makret domination that is truly shocking.

How did you manage to find this thread and revive it? I mean its been dead for nearly two years. I didn't know TSR archived them so far back, or left them unlocked.

ReputationRep:
    It's as hard to dislike all Americans as it is all English people they're are such a diverse bunch with very diverse political and general opinions. I've met quite a few and I have to say they're generally really friendly people. I have to say I really dislike neocons in fact the Bush gov generally, and I don't really get the people who spread hateful rhetoric about certain peoples, like the Phelps idiot, but they seldom reflect an opinion of everyone, particualarly not the neocons, horribly crazy group of fascists IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    I think they're quite naive about the world though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonboyyork)
    I think anti-americanism is justifiable when one is presented with obese, aloof, unintellectual archetypes that purposefully raise their voices in large crowds. I don't know why, but I feel almost naturally resentful towards 'plastic' America, when I misfortunately land on channels such as MTV that air ''The Hills'' or ''Sweet Sixteen'' and those other programs based in Malibu that feature hedonistic Americans that want and want and want more and more, consuming so much in terms of comestibles or energy. And then they moan about small things, and whine, and unknowingly imply their apathy towards the outside world and injustices globally.
    You are basing your opinions on a TV show and these shows have nothing to do with America or Americans. Reality TV is all about filming a moron for hours on end and throwing out all the footage where life is normal and boring and keeping what makes for "dramatic television". There are also tons of threads on American forums where Brits are trying to explain to Americans that Clarkson from Top Gear doesn't represent all British people, so I guess we are guilty of the same generalizations too sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    How did you manage to find this thread and revive it? I mean its been dead for nearly two years. I didn't know TSR archived them so far back, or left them unlocked.
    Well I guess the topic already exists in HYS, and has been running for about 8 months, although God knows why, so its still a matter that is discussed if anyone feels the need, although I said much if not all about what I thought on that thread, and I think the Americans on this forum carried themselves very well in the face of a lot of stupid rehtoric and bigotry, whether that's because we have a bit of a cream of Americans, or they are the less ignorant of their fellows, or just a broad sample; I do think they have made some very valid points and see no reason why this thread shouldn't be bumped. Besides Sol you're generally rather good at expressing yourself, so at least it gives you a platform to show us ignorant racist bigoted Brits that US citizens aren't all ignorant, arrogant fools, as if that was ever an issue.

(Original post by Made in the USA)
    You are basing your opinions on a TV show and these shows have nothing to do with America or Americans. Reality TV is all about filming a moron for hours on end and throwing out all the footage where life is normal and boring and keeping what makes for "dramatic television". There are also tons of threads on American forums where Brits are trying to explain to Americans that Clarkson from Top Gear doesn't represent all British people, so I guess we are guilty of the same generalizations too sometimes.
    Jeremey Clarkson has a column in The Sun newspaper (the gutter of the gutter press) Nuff said, he's more Daily mail than the Daily mail, I don't think his opinions reflect anyone except sun readers, and bored middle class housewives, thank God, why that gob****e has a voice on anything but Top Gear is anyones guess. :rolleyes: That said he is interesting, and is a good entertainer, but I think most people take his anti everyone not English rhetoric with a pinch of salt.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.