Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

What is something that is widely known to your gender but not the other? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    I have been horse riding since before i could walk and have never stopped, doing martial arts for 4 years, recently started really really enjoying cooking, i really enjoy reading and always have done, i did about 4 years of sailing, and ive recently begun teaching myself some languages. I also game.

So what was that about girls with no hobbies again?
    Ah, someone else who thinks being pedantic wins an argument :rolleyes: Well it doesn't. Sure, you might do that, but how many girls do those sports? Horse riding is female dominated, but not exactly common is it? Sailing is 90% guys and so is martial arts, and I only know of one girl who can cook (and I mean cook, not bake).
    But I'm sure you will try to argue that you live in some magical exception where girls do 99% of everything which you will know to be crap and that it boils down to one of two things; a) you live in a unique/privileged area/had a privileged upbringing, b) you have seen first hand the imbalance in these hobbies but feel the need to somehow defend your gender rather than point out harsh truths.

ReputationRep:
    A few facts about boobs...
    No matter how small, they are not comfy to lay on.
    Getting hit/pushed/punched/flicked/squeezed-a-bit-too-hard in the boob reeeeally hurts!!
    Erect nipples cannot be avoided... The awkward bra which you can see your erect nipple through is always the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lala_1234)
    A few facts about boobs...
    No matter how small, they are not comfy to lay on.
    Getting hit/pushed/punched/flicked/squeezed-a-bit-too-hard in the boob reeeeally hurts!!
    Erect nipples cannot be avoided... The awkward bra which you can see your erect nipple through is always the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whaaaaat? My boobs are comfy to lay on :s
    Agree about getting flicked etc though, ouch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    Whaaaaat? My boobs are comfy to lay on :s
    Agree about getting flicked etc though, ouch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So are mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    I'd say for men it has to be the unwritten rule of who uses what urinal in the toilets.

A very quick explanation of urinal etiquette:

If somebody is using a urinal on the left (person 1), you must use the urinal that is the furthest away on the right (person 2). The next person should then use the middle urinal (person 3).

If a fourth person comes in and wants to go to the 2nd urinal in between urinals 1 and 3 (occupied by person 1 and 3) then they must resort to using cubicle, without making it obvious they they never intended to use the cubicle. They must make it quite clear to all men in the toilet, that they wished to use the cubicle from the moment they stepped in the toilet. However, if the cubicle is not free then they must wait for either person 1,2 or 3 to shake out and step down and take their place. NOT another one such as urinal 2 or 4, as this will be directly next to person 1, 2 or 3. If they were to do this, then when person 5 walks in, they will not be able to use urinal 3 or 4, since they will be peeing directly next to the person in urinals 2 or 5.

Or, they must wait for the cubicle to become free.

You must also look at the wall directly in front of you, as if you're examining it for cracks. You must only look down when you've stopped urinating and have progressed onto the shake. Too much shaking is forbidden, that's a sign of masturbation.

Although peeking is not strictly forbidden, it is definitely forbidden to get caught peeking. Us males have to 'size up' the competition so peeking will always happen. Even if you think that you did not get peeking at somebody who is very well endowed, he WILL know that you've peeked. When you walk past, you'll give each other 'the nod'. This is his way of saying 'look mate, I know you peeked - you know what I'm packing, so let's mention no more on this topic'.

Alternatively, you can walk out and say to your mates 'oh my god I was standing at the urinals and this dude just came in and peed right next to me, he had the smallest knob too, he was pretty much peeing in my urinal, I didn't peek but he was just so close. Look, that's him there' (then point to the guy) This puts you at a higher level in status of being an Alpha Male, but you do risk being confronted about making these claims.
    This isn't even right. Using the middle urinal is perfectly acceptable when there are no others otherwise you're letting everyone know that you're insecure.

And no, no one ever, ever peeks and then goes outside to talk to their friends about another guys ****. That's something a ****ing schoolgirl would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Ah, someone else who thinks being pedantic wins an argument :rolleyes: Well it doesn't. Sure, you might do that, but how many girls do those sports? Horse riding is female dominated, but not exactly common is it? Sailing is 90% guys and so is martial arts, and I only know of one girl who can cook (and I mean cook, not bake).
    But I'm sure you will try to argue that you live in some magical exception where girls do 99% of everything which you will know to be crap and that it boils down to one of two things; a) you live in a unique/privileged area/had a privileged upbringing, b) you have seen first hand the imbalance in these hobbies but feel the need to somehow defend your gender rather than point out harsh truths.
    Horse riding is hugely common, i dont know many people who havent at least tried it, and ive met hundreds of people through pony clubs, riding clubs, working on different yards, both male and female. (I will admit that i live in the country, if you live in the city, it wont be as common)

Martial arts is attracting more females, and the dojo local to me has several girls who go and the junior class of the other one is mostly made up of girls. My friend's taekwondo class is mostly girls.

I know plenty of girls who can cook properly. A load of us got into it when we moved out/went to uni.

The only one i feel you are right about is the sailing, where it is dominated by guys.

i think girls in the country are far more likely to have a decent amount of hobbies and i genuinely can only think of one friend who doesnt do any hobbies whatseoever (unless you count shopping, which i dont :rolleyes:)
    I dont know many girls from the city but i imagine there isnt much to do.

Im also assuming you live in the city, because i cant imagine many girls in the countryside with no hobbies whatsoever. if you're finding that i imagine the girls you hang out with are the clubbing, shopping sort, sorry :/

ReputationRep:
    Horse riding is hugely common, i dont know many people who havent at least tried it, and ive met hundreds of people through pony clubs, riding clubs, working on different yards, both male and female. (I will admit that i live in the country, if you live in the city, it wont be as common)
    Unique/privileged upbringing.

Martial arts is attracting more females, and the dojo local to me has several girls who go and the junior class of the other one is mostly made up of girls. My friend's taekwondo class is mostly girls.
    Unique/privileged upbringing and male dominated.
    I have only met three girl who did martial arts, only one carried on after 12.

I know plenty of girls who can cook properly. A load of us got into it when we moved out/went to uni.
    Rule of thumb, when a girl says she can cook, she can't cook for ****. What do you cook exactly?

The only one i feel you are right about is the sailing, where it is dominated by guys.

i think girls in the country are far more likely to have a decent amount of hobbies and i genuinely can only think of one friend who doesnt do any hobbies whatseoever (unless you count shopping, which i dont :rolleyes:)
    I dont know many girls from the city but i imagine there isnt much to do.
    Where have you lived exactly? :curious:

Im also assuming you live in the city, because i cant imagine many girls in the countryside with no hobbies whatsoever. if you're finding that i imagine the girls you hang out with are the clubbing, shopping sort, sorry :/
    Or I have lived in more places than you have and met far more people. This is what I'm betting my money on.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kaisha)
    Not yet, but it was definitely the bottom of the cup I was feeling rather than just the stem. Ill probably do that before next time though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you had a mooncup, they're quite large. It's probably not the right cup for you as there are different brands and shapes. If you had problems with the bottom of the cup you either need a shorter one, or a more pointy one. The old old MeLuna would be perfect for you but they don't make that any more :-(

(Original post by whitesky)
    Googled it, got so far as reading this review which made me laugh. I'm either incredibly tired so it seems more funny than it really is but the images it created in my head are priceless.

"I love it, my partner loves it, and my friends have all rushed out to buy their own. Nothing could have changed my life more in such a profound way than this simple but amazing little device! Only problem is taking it out for sexytime with my partner, which cannot be done with gay abandon like with a tampon, as the result would be walls, floors and ceilings splashed with blood."

So what if you have to clean it in a public place?... Do you just casually wander over and rinse your bodily fluids down the sink or something? To be fair I haven't read how it works so I could be way out but... looovely! :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not messy to remove. At first it can be but you soon learn how to do it.

And they don't usually need emptying during the day, unless you have a really small cup or a heavy flow. But if so wiping with tissue is sufficient, or I've heard some people take a bottle of water to use.

(Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    Sounds good but like. Are you never worried it'll like. tip over? :eek: I don't even know if that's possible.
    it's not possible.

Posted from Juno's amazing phone

ReputationRep:
    Unique/privileged upbringing.

You dont need to be privilaged to horse ride, for a bit i worked on a yard in return for free lessons, anyone could do that. Currently im earning about 500, once i get another job and that goes up to 700 per month, i will be able to afford to pay for a horse, so it doesnt need to be massively expensive either.

Unique/privileged upbringing and male dominated.
    I have only met three girl who did martial arts, only one carried on after 12.

Must be the people you talk to then, i know plenty of all ages

Rule of thumb, when a girl says she can cook, she can't cook for ****. What do you cook exactly?

Pretty much anything except fish because i dont like it, although i do squid. Currently working my way through Jamie's italy and The hairy Dieters. Ive had nothing but compliments for my cooking, even when i think its been crap.

Where have you lived exactly? :curious:

Im not really willing to disclose my location, i used to live in a small country town, now i live in a bigger country town, in the County of Gloucestershire which is apparently an extremely horsey county which is explains the abundance of people with that hobby i guess.

Or I have lived in more places than you have and met far more people. This is what I'm betting my money on.
    very likely, but i still struggle to believe so few women you know have hobbies. It could depend on age maybe, the older you get i think the less you have them, although i meet women of all ages horse riding and martial arts so yeah :s

ReputationRep:
    very likely, but i still struggle to believe so few women you know have hobbies. It could depend on age maybe, the older you get i think the less you have them, although i meet women of all ages horse riding and martial arts so yeah :s
    Righty, what is going on here is something I've seen happen a lot on this forum - North/South divide.
    You have only lived in the South, which is why you are more use to people of all genders doing hobbies. Go North (aka above Birmingham), and what I described is true 99% of the time and for many southerners who go to uni in the north. Every girl I lived with had no hobbies. Only one girl I met had a hobby which was martial arts, yet her class was 10+ guys to one girl. This was true for every group there and in other places.
    As I said, you have had/still have a rather unique upbringing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holby_fanatic)
    A lot of girls get pissed off when guys fall asleep after sex, but many of them don't realise that men are actually genetically wired to feel incredibly tired after sex. Guys, I totally understand.
    suck up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    suck up
    Or you could just do the same...

ReputationRep:
    Of course women have hobbies! Just cos they may not be acceptable to men or are girly doesn't make them any less valid. Mine are writing, music (looking to make a career teaching it), reading, gaming (play WoW and many others), cooking/baking, rural walking, cosplay. Many men have hobbies, many don't. Many women have hobbies, many don't. I know girls who would rather go clubbing every night than join a society and girls who have hiked to Mt Everest Base camp. I know men who live to play football or guitar and men who would rather bone every girl they see. Works both ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Righty, what is going on here is something I've seen happen a lot on this forum - North/South divide.
    You have only lived in the South, which is why you are more use to people of all genders doing hobbies. Go North (aka above Birmingham), and what I described is true 99% of the time and for many southerners who go to uni in the north. Every girl I lived with had no hobbies. Only one girl I met had a hobby which was martial arts, yet her class was 10+ guys to one girl. This was true for every group there and in other places.
    Fair enough, i imagined we did have different experience with different places. I have never been north or really met anyone from there.

In the South my upbringing is not unusual at all, in fact when you look at the horse riding circles, i was less spoilt with horses than most people. it seems to be the norm for a lot parents (except the chavvy families) to spend a lot of time introducing their children to hobbies here.

ReputationRep:
    I live in the north and I don't think that 99% of girls have no hobbies. I think it depends on upbringing. In my experience around 60% of girls at my school have hobbies. Horse riding is common, as is Irish dancing ( although I'm sure that's because I go to a catholic school ), normal dancing also ( eg ballet, jazz and tap). I think the most common is rowing, lots of my girl friends row. Some were into football, F1 and music.
    My main hobby is fashion. I like watching what comes down the runway. I make quite a few of my clothes myself, I knit as well. I can also cook, when I went to Thailand I went on a cooking class and learned how to make three dishes. Since I've been back I've been experimenting and learning how to make more Thai dishes.
    I don't think you can generalise about girls having no hobbies. I think you just lived with a very boring bunch of girls

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    How getting up in the morning can be deadly awquad if for example you have a sleep over, and we of course have the morning thing (I call it the morning thing).
    I tend to have to wait it out which can take up to 5-10 minutes at times if people are around.

Girls do have to show more, but in some instances, they actually don't. If you have a skirt for example, your not showing much at all more than you would have been with it on, as the skirt is mostly covering. All you are doing is pulling to the side.
    Plus, girls don't go into the cubicals together, so you are generally not showing as much at all

I don't feel comfortable if I'm at a urinal and someone goes to the one directly next to me. Nor do I feel comfortable if its an open long one, where everyone is standing next to each other, and everything is in view (i.e in some clubs)
    I always go into the cubicle with my friend once we've had a drink. We take it in turns to go and the other squats on the floor (sits if we're really drunk; even lies and rolls around if we're really, really drunk lol, but that was only once) and then after that we'll just sit in there for 10 minutes chatting ****. It really is a social event when drunk.
    However, when sober I definitely have more of a male approach; I like to go on my own and get in and get out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heirloom)
    I live in the north and I don't think that 99% of girls have no hobbies. I think it depends on upbringing. In my experience around 60% of girls at my school have hobbies. Horse riding is common, as is Irish dancing ( although I'm sure that's because I go to a catholic school ), normal dancing also ( eg ballet, jazz and tap). I think the most common is rowing, lots of my girl friends row. Some were into football, F1 and music.
    My main hobby is fashion. I like watching what comes down the runway. I make quite a few of my clothes myself, I knit as well. I can also cook, when I went to Thailand I went on a cooking class and learned how to make three dishes. Since I've been back I've been experimenting and learning how to make more Thai dishes.
    I don't think you can generalise about girls having no hobbies. I think you just lived with a very boring bunch of girls
    That is because it will be something mummy and daddy made them do/remaining doing.
    Wait until they get to uni. Then they stop all of it as they never were that interested to begin with/take up boyfriends as their only hobby. I've seen this happen so many times. Girls who have numerous hobbies and are even competing in some of them all of a sudden drop everyone like a stone come uni and go hunting after **** :rofl: To be honest it is quite sad.
    Into fashion and went to Thailand? How are you/your parents financial off?

ReputationRep:
    The utter despair felt when you've just put on your mascara and then feel a sneeze coming on...

ReputationRep:
    After an awkward encounter with my male flatmates when I was in my pyjamas (which were perfectly decent by the way) and their astonishment that I wasn't wearing a bra. They seemed to find this hysterical. OF COURSE I WASN'T I WAS IN MY PYJAMAS WHO THE HELL SLEEPS IN THEIR BRA.

Honestly, do men really believe we sleep in our bras? Except on those occasions when you're really really really tired and you just fall right asleep.

ReputationRep:
    That is because it will be something mummy and daddy made them do/remaining doing.
    Wait until they get to uni. Then they stop all of it as they never were that interested to begin with/take up boyfriends as their only hobby. I've seen this happen so many times. Girls who have numerous hobbies and are even competing in some of them all of a sudden drop everyone like a stone come uni and go hunting after **** :rofl: To be honest it is quite sad.
    Into fashion and went to Thailand? How are you/your parents financial off?
    Well my friends are at uni. They still do the rowing, hockey and netball they did at school. I don't know about the rest of the girls at school ( I'm on a gap year, so it still feels a bit like I'm at school but not at the the same time. Don't know if that makes sense. I say I'm still at school because it makes it easier to to explain to some people that I'm not at school but I'm redoing some exams. You would be surprised at the amount of people that don't get that)
    I knew you were going to ask about my parents income, which is why I mentioned parental influence. I'm middle class but not all of my friends are

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.