The Student Room Group

AQA Economics Unit 4 11th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Pretty nice paper I thought, I did the EU context and the essay on balance of trade in goods. Whoever wrote the calculation question for the EU context seemingly has no idea how write properly.
Reply 561
Original post by qr95
Damn lol I meant leaving the EU

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha axion what a prediction and you was laughing at me coz I said eurozone by accident

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 562
Original post by Lay-Z
Yeah, I just put 2.43 mill.. did you put population change/economic growth/externalities for the things that need to be taken into account for the standard of living?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They told you what was taken into account in the extract!!!! Healthcare, education, incomes etc. They actually listed them out in a line.......
Original post by Lay-Z
Yeah, I just put 2.43 mill.. did you put population change/economic growth/externalities for the things that need to be taken into account for the standard of living?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Standard of living assessment should have been things such as life expectancy at birth, GDP per capita etc, education, gender equality etc.

We've both answered completely different thngs since yours was factors affecting assessing standards of living and mine was the actual assessing the standards of living

Only one of us can be right :biggrin: What did everyone else right for question 2 in section A?

Original post by Axion
They told you what was taken into account in the extract!!!! Healthcare, education, incomes etc. They actually listed them out in a line.......

So my answer was right then?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 564
Original post by qr95
Haha axion what a prediction and you was laughing at me coz I said eurozone by accident

Posted from TSR Mobile

:wink: lol, didn't go for that one mate. thought the global context might be on unemployment but thre one that came up was great
Original post by charlie7wright
You could have still argued that UKs best policy for economic growth would be to leave the EU and focus on exporting to the emerging economies. I think there were a few ways to tackle the question but as long as you related your points back to it and actually answered the question then you shouldn't worry what other people put.

Anybody do Essay 2 on Section B? (BoTG deficit)

Yeah I did essay 2. Said supply side reforms would be good, did one point on general lowering of income and corp tax then evaluated, another para on a protectionist/subsidy supply side benefit, then an alternative on currency manipulation where i used J curve to evalute/risks of manipulation e.g real life context China being threatened by the US.
Concluded saying supply side reforms in tandem with a government plan to focus on export quality would beenfit the goods deficit, as seen in germany.
Reply 566
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
Standard of living assessment should have been things such as life expectancy at birth, GDP per capita etc, education, gender equality etc.

We've both answered completely different thngs since yours was factors affecting assessing standards of living and mine was the actual assessing the standards of living

Only one of us can be right :biggrin: What did everyone else right for question 2 in section A?

So my answer was right then?

what two did you say bro?

I was cautious because it said "every" survey and that was explictly mentioned in the text.
Reply 567
I think I done it wrong I talked about whether UK should stay in EU and affects if economic growth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Axion
yeahhhhh, thought it was a nice paper. context 1 was rather good

gonna flop my physics exam on thursday though. ffs

Original post by 16dan2life
Did Context 1 and inflation question.

Inflation essay was fairly decent. Context 1, found kinda hard.

Content A was pretty easy for me, i reckon i got like 90% for that section but probably like 65% for section B(inflation) so my average came down to around 75%
Original post by Axion
what two did you say bro?

I was cautious because it said "every" survey and that was explictly mentioned in the text.

I said life expectancy at birth and GDP per capita because the question asked what things are asked when assessing standards of living, i din't think the answers are restricted to just what was mentioned in the case study
Reply 570
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
Content A was pretty easy for me, i reckon i got like 90% for that section but probably like 65% for section B(inflation) so my average came down to around 75%

EDIT: That should be fine bro :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I took the question to mean how good are supply side policies to reduce the deficit, so only did bout a page on supply side policies then talked and evaluated how else you can reduce the deficit like devaluation, lower demand and protectionism
Reply 572
Original post by Axion
From what I recall (I didn't choose the EU context) , the question was basically should the uk stay in EU in different words?

Yh for economic growth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 573
Original post by Ecomax
I told many in my school to expect either Exchange Rates or Current Account and possibly Unemployment .. Got lots of thankyous ha
Was a nice Paper, which questions did you do and how did you find it?

Context one on Unemployment and Question 1 on inflation and the interest rate... they weren't too bad, I was very unprepared so was thankful it was something I could answer okay-ish :smile: you?
Reply 574
Original post by havana-affair
I took the question to mean how good are supply side policies to reduce the deficit, so only did bout a page on supply side policies then talked and evaluated how else you can reduce the deficit like devaluation, lower demand and protectionism

Which question is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 575
Original post by Axion
yeahhhhh, thought it was a nice paper. context 1 was rather good

gonna flop my physics exam on thursday though. ffs

Same

Posted from TSR Mobile
what happens for the 5 mark if you got the wrong answer
I did one significant point and did something like 3.6/100 *£2800 or something would I still get one mark for this calculation even though its wrong?
Reply 577
Original post by kieronspitter
I thought the question more asking whether the EU is the UKs best hope of economic growth?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think it was, I wrote 3 points about expansionary fiscal, loosening monetary and increasing exports to the EU and other countries, in order to increase uk economic growth
Original post by ladder1234
Yeah I did essay 2. Said supply side reforms would be good, did one point on general lowering of income and corp tax then evaluated, another para on a protectionist/subsidy supply side benefit, then an alternative on currency manipulation where i used J curve to evalute/risks of manipulation e.g real life context China being threatened by the US.
Concluded saying supply side reforms in tandem with a government plan to focus on export quality would beenfit the goods deficit, as seen in germany.

Did something similar. Spoke about taxes and subsidies and how they would boost exports, provided there was an increase in demand to meet the increase in production. Then said how the government would need to be successful in ensuring there are no unintended consequences (eg. rise in inflation because of increase in AD).

Then gave the alternative as devaluation as a shorter-term policy which may work, but because of J-Curve might also be longer-term.

Then concluded by saying they would improve situation depending on (included factors previously spoken about in my essay) and then said that it needed to be used with other policies that would have shorter term benefits in order for it to be successful.

What did you write for the 15 mark question? I wasn't confident on what I wrote. (Move toward service sector = less goods exported. MNCs moving manufacturing abroad because of cheaper labour/land = less goods exported. UK has high propensity to import = more goods imported. Which all lead to a deficit.
Reply 579
If people are talking about the question as to whether the UK's best hope for economic growth came from the EU then talking about leaving the EU is probably a risky area to be in. Sure, it would have been a good counter-argument by saying something along the lines of no, the EU isn't the best hope and so we should leave and focus on trade with BRIC economies or elsewhere, but if your whole essay was based upon should or shouldn't the UK leave the EU then you probably didn't answer the question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending