Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    For the personal statement how have people structured it?
    I'm really struggling with my personal statement. I'm applying for PGCE Secondary English, so found this on TSR main website, which is an example personal statement for this course. It's helping a bit.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...dary_English_1

There are lots of different example personal statements, that might help you a bit?

I'm mostly finding it hard to be reflective, without sounding like "I did this and it made me think this and I can take away lots from this blah blah blah".

If you find anything useful, please let me know!

I find interviews so much easier than writing about myself!!

ReputationRep:
    On a lighter note, with my personal statement i'm having trouble writing sentences that don't sound too creepy in terms of the kids!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How is everyone checking that the personal statement is the right length as lots of past people have said when you copy it from Word to the application it all changes? Can we not apply until 1st Nov?

Who is everyone using for their references? I am currently a TA so guessing the school would be one?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kk2k13)
    Hi,

How is everyone checking that the personal statement is the right length as lots of past people have said when you copy it from Word to the application it all changes? Can we not apply until 1st Nov?

Who is everyone using for their references? I am currently a TA so guessing the school would be one?

Thanks!
    I believe if you use a reference from a school it has to be from the headteacher now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Does anyone know if taking a leave of absence would be harmful to my application? Due to illness it is looking that I'll have to take leave and apply next year instead sadly. It would be pretty harsh for a uni to judge on that but I thought I'd ask because some unis can be weird haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't imagine so, in fact, I think they probably have a requirement to consider you equally regardless of illness (unless it would impact on your ability to complete the course).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if taking a leave of absence would be harmful to my application? Due to illness it is looking that I'll have to take leave and apply next year instead sadly. It would be pretty harsh for a uni to judge on that but I thought I'd ask because some unis can be weird haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As long as you are fully recovered by the time you start the pgce it will be fine. You will need to fill out a 'fitness to teach' form as a condition of your offer which is assessed by occupational health and any issues will be worked out with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    As long as you are fully recovered by the time you start the pgce it will be fine. You will need to fill out a 'fitness to teach' form as a condition of your offer which is assessed by occupational health and any issues will be worked out with them.
    So even though I'd gone back to uni and completed a my final year (my uni make us get medically checked before going back too), I'd have to be checked again?

Surely doing all that type of thing would put unis off me :/

ReputationRep:
    So even though I'd gone back to uni and completed a my final year (my uni make us get medically checked before going back too), I'd have to be checked again?

Surely doing all that type of thing would put unis off me :/
    It's a requirement that all trainees have to pass for every ITT course. It won't just be because you've take a year out. It is usually just a case of filling out a form with your medical history and they assess whether you need to meet with an OT or whether to pass you on the basis of what you've put down. Sorry if that was unclear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    It's a requirement that all trainees have to pass for every ITT course. It won't just be because you've take a year out. It is usually just a case of filling out a form with your medical history and they assess whether you need to meet with an OT or whether to pass you on the basis of what you've put down. Sorry if that was unclear.
    Ohhh, okay, that's good. I thought you meant just because I'd had a year out. Good to know anyway. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with my personal statement!

Everyone I ask for advice says I'm an English MA and BA graduate, surely I know how to write! But sometimes, you need someone to point out the bits of your personality that you take for granted.

I have written a very rough draft so far; I actually wrote it whilst observing a classroom assessment, so I was able to put my school experience very clearly into perspective, considering I was sat in a school!

It still needs a lot of work, but fingers crossed we'll all get there in time.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All, Finally starting to see the light of day with this application. I have done my 16 days experience, working through drafts of my personal statement and it's just the personal statements to finally get. That is my question - do we need open references (just sent to me to add to my application) or is there an official channel through UCAS that referees need to send it to? Someone mentioned too about personal statements and having gone through loads of examples and run it by recent students and teachers, I think you can over think it. It's only an A4 page long (47 lines of 11 point writing) and realistically how much can you do in that? I also had a bit of an issue with comparing schools as I did 6 days in a Private all boys school to go with my ten in a Secondary school, the classes were smaller, it was more discussion led, more fluid and frankly was a bit more advanced. I know you don't want to appear to be criticising any school (the secondary I went to was excellent also) but it's about showing you can adapt and teach to the class according to the environment and ability is it not?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone applying for an early years PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I got an offer for some classroom experience. Will it look better in my application if I do several months of experience or it best to stick with 2 weeks in several schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    Is anyone applying for an early years PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeh I am where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone - I only decided to apply for a Early Years/Primary PGCE in the past couple of months and I was planning to apply for 2015 entry, but after speaking to the careers centre at uni, she said I could apply for 2014 too. Now I'm frantically panicking over whether I can actually do this - I don't think I've got enough experience, haven't researched unis or anything - and coming on here and seeing how you've all got loads of experience and have been planning this for ages has made me even more miserable about it all

So basically, would it be worth preparing to apply this late before UCAS opens, or shall I just write it off and apply next year instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -aimz)
    Hi everyone - I only decided to apply for a Early Years/Primary PGCE in the past couple of months and I was planning to apply for 2015 entry, but after speaking to the careers centre at uni, she said I could apply for 2014 too. Now I'm frantically panicking over whether I can actually do this - I don't think I've got enough experience, haven't researched unis or anything - and coming on here and seeing how you've all got loads of experience and have been planning this for ages has made me even more miserable about it all

So basically, would it be worth preparing to apply this late before UCAS opens, or shall I just write it off and apply next year instead?
    You have a month before applications open, you could get another weeks worth of experience in before then if you're lucky and get your references and personal statement done.
    Pretty much everyone applies to the unis closest to them or that are in the area you want to work in in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    I think I got an offer for some classroom experience. Will it look better in my application if I do several months of experience or it best to stick with 2 weeks in several schools?
    They won't really have a preference. If you can get a long lasting placement I would go for that as you'll get to know the kids, the teachers and get an experience of what life in one school is like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_cook92)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am too. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_cook92)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm struggling to decide between early years and primary. I think primary might be better as it wouldn't limit me to a specific age range. But I prefer like the year ones and twos... If I apply for early years though I might apply to Leeds met and manchester met. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And I've only had one week work experience in nursery.. And the rest is year one, year two and year 3 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.