The Student Room Group

Post your unpopular opinions...

Scroll to see replies

Dont think gay marriage should be legalised, though I don't mind civil unions
....I didn't like the hunger games
Reply 561
I don't really get Queens of the Stone Age.
Original post by reemaisthinking
Few questions for you if you don't mind.
Do you believe there is a God?

I believe there is a possibility that there is one, but we can never know. However, if there is a God, life is basically just an aptitude test, which disturbs me.. I think life's too big for that.

Could you, per chance, provide me with a couple ethical justifications other than it tastes nice?
1.) If we didn't breed these animals for food, we wouldn't be able to afford to breed them in the first place. Short, good life > no life in the first place. (I'm referring to free-range/organic farming, battery farming has no excuse.)
2.) Eating meat keeps a lot of farmers in business. Admittedly, taking drugs also keeps a lot of opium poppy farmers in business, but there's far less corruption at the centre of the meat trade.

For some reason I relate anything against equality of Gay people with religion which is stupid of me.
What do you mean by life is fundamentally good?

People are fundamentally good, and life is a good thing to have, and most people use it well.

And yes, Fanfiction is brilliant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fanfiction is basically my life at the moment. Oh, and exams, of course. They don't go together very well.
Original post by HopefulMidwife
Yes, I am.

It's common amongst those, but also amongst many Americans.

I know about FGM too :frown: what makes me sad, though, is that there are lots of campaigns against FGM, which is fantastic, but lots of people:

A - don't care about MGM

or

B - will defend it and say 'it's different'.

There's different levels of FGM, some less or more severe than MGM. Regardless of the specifics, the principle of mutilating somebody else's, especially a child's, body prior to them being able to give informed consent is disgusting and both girls AND boys should be protected fully against this :frown:

The difference between circumcision and FGM however is that one of them has a permanent negative effect (FGM) while one causes no long term damage and has no effect at all on that persons life (circumcision)..

If circumcision and FGM were equal then why do so many men around the world choose to be circumcised at some point in their life, when it's not for religious or medical reasons?
Original post by CJKay
99% of your friends on your med course were the result of single parents?
I'm sure.
Also, even if that were the case, it does not falsify my argument at all. I never made the argument that single parents are unable to produce smart children - I said they can, but statistically much fewer do. If I suggest that 50% of the population never immigrate and you go on to tell me I'm wrong because "99% of the people I know have immigrated", that does not prove wrong that 50% of the population has not immigrated.

It doesn't prove anything, you're right.

However, in society today, where a large majority of married couples will get divorced by the first child's 4th birthday, I think that a two parent family is really not essential. Not a necessity for the upbringing of a fully rounded, well educated and a generally proactive human being.

Also, I will just add that a single parent family is a term that suggests that only a mother or a father is left looking after child/ren. However, what about extended family? Grandparents? etc...? In many cases, lacking one parent means there is an army of relatives that are happy to help here and there and actually end up contributing much more that two parents ever could.

It just irks me to no end when people use the 'I come from a broken family' excuse for their failures. Grow a ****ing backbone. I know plenty of people, myself included, who come from divorced families, many of them sour and even some violent cases. Yet we're doing pretty well for ourselves.

A stable relationship is nice, but not essential.
Reply 565
Original post by officelinebacker
so many men around the world choose to be circumcised at some point in their life, when it's not for religious or medical reasons?

Exactly how did you hear about that?! Many men undergo pointless amputative surgery on their penises? Nah. Whatever makes you feel better.

There is NO difference between forcibly taking a blade to the genitals of either gender. Absolutely none. If two babies were lying side by side, one male and one female, you're saying that the girl deserves protection from this outdated barbarity whilst the boys penis is fair game to anyone with a scalpel.

Brainwashed. Totally brainwashed.
Reply 566
Original post by ArcaneAnna
It doesn't prove anything, you're right.

However, in society today, where a large majority of married couples will get divorced by the first child's 4th birthday, I think that a two parent family is really not essential. Not a necessity for the upbringing of a fully rounded, well educated and a generally proactive human being.

Also, I will just add that a single parent family is a term that suggests that only a mother or a father is left looking after child/ren. However, what about extended family? Grandparents? etc...? In many cases, lacking one parent means there is an army of relatives that are happy to help here and there and actually end up contributing much more that two parents ever could.

It just irks me to no end when people use the 'I come from a broken family' excuse for their failures. Grow a ****ing backbone. I know plenty of people, myself included, who come from divorced families, many of them sour and even some violent cases. Yet we're doing pretty well for ourselves.

A stable relationship is nice, but not essential.

It was not me that made the claim that it was essential. My claim was that, based on studies available, it was massively beneficial.
Original post by CJKay
It was not me that made the claim that it was essential. My claim was that, based on studies available, it was massively beneficial.

Yeah, not having to deal with "all that ****" gives you more time to focus on other things, but ultimately, something else will take its place. I've always been eternally grateful to my parents for being a unified pair, rather than confusing me with mixed signals.
I'd say coming from a massive family is more detrimental if I'm honest, but then people tend to see their own problems as larger than others. What's the expression - confirmation bias?
I hate the thought of being with a white boy, not only in my area are they incredibly disrespectful, but they are not the kind of boys any serious girl would want to be with. I hate football, i'm a female rugby player and the thought of playing football makes me want to hit them, ahahah apart from these two opinions, i'm pretty laid back
Original post by AyshaMcGill
I hate the thought of being with a white boy, not only in my area are they incredibly disrespectful, but they are not the kind of boys any serious girl would want to be with. I hate football, i'm a female rugby player and the thought of playing football makes me want to hit them, ahahah apart from these two opinions, i'm pretty laid back

Wow, racist much? :frown:
Reply 570

Spoiler

This thread makes me lose faith in humanity. People who don't like pizza and Friends... you're attacking the foundations of my existence.
I don't like Nandos. Lana Del Ray is overrated. Some people do pretend to be homosexual/bisexual for attention. I hate baths. I hate Lush (mainly because of their ridiculous prices and clingy staff). Apple products will ruin the world. The horsemeat scandal didn't bother me.
Reply 573
I believe that Humans are inherently and innately selfish - that is the root of most of our problems.
I was born catholic, but detest Catholicism and religion even though I believe in God.
I don't think Grammar schools should be abolished - though this is probably because i'm selfish and attend a Grammar school.
I think that most people should keep their opinions to themselves outside of this thread.
I believe that abortion should be a choice.
I don't believe in feminism, I believe in equal rights.
I detest bad grammar, especially when I use it.
I think that's about it :biggrin:

I detest chocolate ice cream.

Israel, as a country, should not exist.

Handball fails completely as entertainment it’s structure is laughable, rendering it horrendously dull to watch. Great fun to play though.

Reply 575
Human beings are not inherently superior to the other species of animals we share this planet with.

Democracy (In it's current UK and USA form anyway) is a terrible form of government.
Reply 576
1. Nas > jay-z
2. Rita ora is not attractive
Howard is my favourite character in The Big Bang Theory.
Reply 578
I think most people would rather keep their Iphone/macbook/TV than seeing a complete stranger get shot right in front of them
Original post by Onoderas
Call of Duty is not a good game series in the slightest.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest