Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    But then you can say that if you just bear the pain, the life you'd have after you retire will be a lot more luxurious than if you did what you loved for the whole time and that could also mean more happier as you'd be able to do things you might not necessarily have been able to.
    Or you might die while toiling away at the profitable thing you hate and dreaming of your happy retirement. Being miserable now for possible later is a risk.

ReputationRep:
    £250k a week when I become a professional footballer

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, I want to continue on and do a masters and PHD, and hopefully get a decent paying job that allows progression, I expect I'd start at 20-25k at first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaffle)
    Just focus on being happy. Find a job that you love to get up and do in the morning :cool:
    Then it doesn't matter as much what you earn and you won't get so caught up on salary. Do you have any hobbies you enjoy? I got into a top 6 uni and then rejected it because I wouldn't have enjoyed it lol
    How do you know you wouldn't have enjoyed the 'top 6 uni'? Given that you called it top 6 and didn't say Oxbridge - you realise there's generally a much smaller difference between non-Oxbridge 'top 6 universities' and other good universities outside of the 'top 6' than there is between Oxbridge and the other four universities in the 'top 6' (for science subjects at least).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnharM)
    My A-Level Chemistry teacher, who is around 34 years old, earns around £50,000. He's Head of Science in his school, so he has a lot of responsibility. I told him that's a lot of money, but he goes it ain't...teachers get all the holidays, which is great.
    £50k isnt alot at all. But he's right about teachers getting the best holidays by miles. Im surprised he even told you how much he gets paid tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazard17)
    £50k isnt alot at all. But he's right about teachers getting the best holidays by miles. Im surprised he even told you how much he gets paid tbh.
    EXACTLY. Tell that to the amount of people here who don't fully appreciate that if you're in London, you're a university graduate (ESPECIALLY if you're a top 6, even top 10 graduate), in a good course, consider that, WTF, most of the upper-middle class and professionals DID go to top universities, AND how the London average wage is £39k, SURELY A) £50k is NOTHING (IT IS, I can tell you for sure; me and my opinions are a primary source of info on this exact salary figure, if you want some, ffs), and B) you very much CAN exceed £50k (lol), AND go on top £80k+, and indeed far more, if you work hard. Surely that's the case? Surely most people fall into this idea that SO many damn TSR peeps keep implying... That most stay within the £30k/£40k/£50k range for all their lives? That's not a nice thought. At all.

Surely my reasoning is logical, based on what I know (the abovementioned).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    EXACTLY. Tell that to the amount of people here who don't fully appreciate that if you're in London, you're a university graduate (ESPECIALLY if you're a top 6, even top 10 graduate), in a good course, consider that, WTF, most of the upper-middle class and professionals DID go to top universities, AND how the London average wage is £39k, SURELY A) £50k is NOTHING (IT IS, I can tell you for sure; me and my opinions are a primary source of info on this exact salary figure, if you want some, ffs), and B) you very much CAN exceed £50k (lol), AND go on top £80k+, and indeed far more, if you work hard. Surely that's the case? Surely most people fall into this idea that SO many damn TSR peeps keep implying... That most stay within the £30k/£40k/£50k range for all their lives? That's not a nice thought. At all.

Why don't you just move out of London? The North for example is generally a lot cheaper than London and your 50k goes a lot further

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)

Lool i remember speaking to you about something similar. You're extremely passionate and ambitious about this i can see. Im the same, i'll be starting UCL for economics and statistics this year and plan to go all out on applications for internships etc in order to reach the level that i want. Stick to your plan and achieve it, no need to be so vocal about it and i can understand why some people in the other posts saw that you were obsessed with money. At the same time dont let other people get in the way of your personal ambitions. If its a mill before 28, by all means go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazard17)
    Never said it was bro. Someone mentioned it on here that most people won't ever see £50k in their life lol, they're wrong. It's very common.

Yeah, his brother-in-law was my best mate in college, and I was the brightest person in his class, plus we're both Chelsea fans, so we got on really well LOL

ReputationRep:
    Never said it was bro. Someone mentioned it on here that most people won't ever see £50k in their life lol, they're wrong. It's very common.

Yeah, his brother-in-law was my best mate in college, and I was the brightest person in his class, plus we're both Chelsea fans, so we got on really well LOL
    Looool fair enough haha. Whenever i've conjured up the balls to ask, i've always gotten the "thats personal, but i can give you a rough idea", but it never gets anywhere lool.

Have you got your accom sorted and everything anyway?

ReputationRep:

http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/4108

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...salary-compare

An income of £50k puts an individual in the top 10% of earners in the UK. Most people won't attain that as a salary. That's a basic fact. If you think the majority of the population are getting through life on anywhere near that much money you have a very skewed perception of what normal life is like.

Earning over £100k a year, per the IFS study, puts a person in the top percent of earners. And then at that point we start to reach the realms in which money isn't coming from a wage any more, it's coming from investments. The top 0.1% (£350k and up) make up almost half their income from sources other than a salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManifoldManifest)

An income of £50k puts an individual in the top 10% of earners in the UK. Most people won't attain that as a salary. That's a basic fact. If you think the majority of the population are getting through life on anywhere near that much money you have a very skewed perception of what normal life is like.

Earning over £100k a year, per the IFS study, puts a person in the top percent of earners. And then at that point we start to reach the realms in which money isn't coming from a wage any more, it's coming from investments. The top 0.1% (£350k and up) make up almost half their income from sources other than a salary.
    Do you see yourself earning more than £50k a year ?

ReputationRep:

The latter half of what you wrote I aim to become a part of (i.e I'll start saving to invest ASAP, buying up income producing assets). However, please, what's your opinion when you factor in all the variables that may be more likely to apply to some of us (me at least)? As in: if you live in London (better wage average), are male (bloody gender inequality), are a top 10 or even RG uni graduate (only 40% of people are uni graduates, and only ~15% RG?), and when you consider the fact that the typically middle-class all go to university and have at least ONE breadwinner in the household who's got a high-flying career, surely we're WAY more likely to break £50k? The only other things that may limit one are: the quantity and quality of work experiences, our names (I'm changing mine very soon), our skin color (I'm pretty white/Eurasian, certainly not dark/I don't look like what my race typically looks like), our looks (if you're not skinny/don't have a symmetrical face), whether you APPEAR to be agnostic/atheist or religious, the way you speak and how articulate you are (I'm more explicit about things in reality than here, on TSR), general likeability and maybe class/contacts/connections? Being non-PC about it. It's the truth. Genetics determine a lot of things. Gotta accept it and revolve arguments around its parameters.

Surely my logic isn't THAT unsupported/I'm not being THAT naive, if I even am? I think I'm genuinely speaking sense.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiring Genius)
    Do you see yourself earning more than £50k a year ?
    If I stay on my current career path and nothing goes horribly wrong, then yes - I'm two pay grades below about that point, and on a scheme intended to fast track me there. But I'm also aware that this'll put me above the average pay, and won't be claiming that most people earn that. Since, as the stats demonstrate, that's not the case.

ReputationRep:
    If I stay on my current career path and nothing goes horribly wrong, then yes - I'm two pay grades below about that point, and on a scheme intended to fast track me there. But I'm also aware that this'll put me above the average pay, and won't be claiming that most people earn that. Since, as the stats demonstrate, that's not the case.
    I'm comparing myself relatively, not absolutely. There's our difference mate. That's why I deem myself to be 'poor'/unsatisfied atm. I'm far from it absolutely, and even in UK terms, but I am when compared to London terms, and especially so when I compare my parents and me to all the other people I know. I can only develop myself within my own environment. I grow empathies in my own environment, not this greater world that I don't experience, and can't empathise with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In today's terms, I have predicted that I'll be earning £27,500 if my job is in London, less if it is outside of the capital - I used this figure to predict how much I'd be paying back on my student loan (~£55k).

My course's 'employment and accreditation' section on uni stats looks like this. However, I take it with a pinch of salt.

I want to work somewhere where there is a clear path of career progression/pay rises and that there is no lock-out from managerial/director type positions, so I am less fussed about the starting salary if I know that I will soon be earning a lot more if I put the effort in. I'd love to work in fixed-income asset management in a firm such as Credit Suisse or Blackrock - hence I am going to be applying to their respective 2015 spring weeks soon. However, I am also aware of just how competitive breaking into IB is, especially for someone from a non-target (or supposedly 'semi-target') university. If I can break in to that I'm confident that I could be earning a solid salary (as some sort of analyst) from the offset, but again, that's easier said than done.

ReputationRep:
    After much thinking, I now say 30,000-45,000.

ReputationRep:
    About to start a job in London for about 21k which is peanuts.
    Basically I realistically expect around 35k by the time I'm about 30 and by then I plan to live back up North. I'd like more but teachers don't get paid a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Straight out of university, about £42k if all goes according to plan with internships.

ReputationRep:
    £50k+ hopefully.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.