Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Re: *** DENTISTRY Graduate Entry Programme 2015!!!! *** Applicants Discussion Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaabbc)
    Thanks a million ! oh no not yet ))) I am just being optimistic while planning my holidays ))) However, I really hope we will hear sth this week- It seemed they gave offers in bulk around this time last year. Fingers crossed ))
    Eeek!!! Fingers definitely crossed for you!!! :-))

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I've received two offers, one from Aberdeen and the other one from Newcastle, obviously the requirements are that I get a 2:1 in my degree but am feeling slightly nervous about getting that due my high level of absence in the last semester, as my Dad passed away recently... I'm trying my best to catch up and hopefully attain the 2:1, but does anyone know if universities make an exception in such circumstances? Or would it be appropriate for me to contact them and explain my concerns?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoatzin)
    Hey everyone, I've received two offers, one from Aberdeen and the other one from Newcastle, obviously the requirements are that I get a 2:1 in my degree but am feeling slightly nervous about getting that due my high level of absence in the last semester, as my Dad passed away recently... I'm trying my best to catch up and hopefully attain the 2:1, but does anyone know if universities make an exception in such circumstances? Or would it be appropriate for me to contact them and explain my concerns?
    Firstly congrats! And I'm sorry to hear about your father, my condolences.

I think it would be the same as if someone missed their grades for undergrad dentistry. They generally withdraw the offer :/ as there are so many people who will have attained the 2:1/AAA. However!!! You should call them and explain what's happened and your concerns and also make sure your uni know about everything so they can start the mitigating circumstances process. Make everyone in the know of everything that's happened, and try your best to get that 2:1. Ensuring everyone knows everything that's been going on will only go in your favour when it comes to exam time/degree classification time/offer acceptance times.

Hope that helps! All the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eshdentist)
    Firstly congrats! And I'm sorry to hear about your father, my condolences.

I think it would be the same as if someone missed their grades for undergrad dentistry. They generally withdraw the offer :/ as there are so many people who will have attained the 2:1/AAA. However!!! You should call them and explain what's happened and your concerns and also make sure your uni know about everything so they can start the mitigating circumstances process. Make everyone in the know of everything that's happened, and try your best to get that 2:1. Ensuring everyone knows everything that's been going on will only go in your favour when it comes to exam time/degree classification time/offer acceptance times.

Hope that helps! All the best
    Thank you, I'll do that then. Was a bit unsure of what to do, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are there any graduates choosing Newcastle?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Has anyone firmed aberdeen as their choice so far?

ReputationRep:
    For those who are interested:

I asked for feedback after failing to get an interview at Liverpool.
    Most of it was vague and unhelpful but there was an interesting nugget of info...

There were 210 applicants for 15 places. Pretty extreme odds!

I would be fascinated to hear what it took to actually get a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennyyy33)
    Are there any graduates choosing Newcastle?
    I am although I applied for the undergraduate course but I haven't heard back yet even to get an interview or rejection! What about you?

ReputationRep:
    So far it's not looking like I'm going to get accepted for dentistry this year, but dOes anyone know if studying dental nursing for a year will increase your chances of getting in? Or what things can you do in your year out to improve your application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r.turner20)
    So far it's not looking like I'm going to get accepted for dentistry this year, but dOes anyone know if studying dental nursing for a year will increase your chances of getting in? Or what things can you do in your year out to improve your application?
    It would definitely be beneficial. Volunteer, get some varied work experience eg macsfacs, ortho, oral medicine, acute dental centres, implant surgery, oral surgery etc

Good UKCAT score is essential. Kings totally bum off volunteering so go and do a lot of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r.turner20)
    I am although I applied for the undergraduate course but I haven't heard back yet even to get an interview or rejection! What about you?
    Ah that's strange I thought everyone had heard back from them by now with either an offer, rejection or notification of being pooled!
    I have an offer for the undergrad course (Ncl don't offer a graduate course unfortunately)
    It is my top choice so I've put it as my firm!
    Good luck with the rest of your application!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I just wanted to confirm that we don't apply for our NHS bursary for our first year? Only years 2-4 right? And the only financial help we can apply for at the moment is student finance? Or can we actually apply for a bursary for first year too?
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaraRoseJames)
    Hey guys, I just wanted to confirm that we don't apply for our NHS bursary for our first year? Only years 2-4 right? And the only financial help we can apply for at the moment is student finance? Or can we actually apply for a bursary for first year too?
    Thanks x
    No only student finance in year 1, nhs in year 2/3/4 x

ReputationRep:
    No only student finance in year 1, nhs in year 2/3/4 x

Thank you!
    I've applied for student finance & it says they'll only provide £2070 of a total tuition fee of £5535? Although I'm aware the tuition fees are £9000 and they should be paying £5535 instead. It doesn't seem right to me. Have you applied already? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaraRoseJames)
    Thank you!
    I've applied for student finance & it says they'll only provide £2070 of a total tuition fee of £5535? Although I'm aware the tuition fees are £9000 and they should be paying £5535 instead. It doesn't seem right to me. Have you applied already? x
    Yeah that happened to me. It gets adjusted when you process it properly x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that happened to me. It gets adjusted when you process it properly x
    Ah ok! Thanks a lot and congratulations for getting a grad offer x

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm a bit panicked now because I knew we had to fund the first £3500 of tuition in the first year, but I thought we got an NHS bursary to help us with maintenance from the first year because we only get 1000-2000 student maintenance loan from the government?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiomedDentist)
    Hi,
    I'm a bit panicked now because I knew we had to fund the first £3500 of tuition in the first year, but I thought we got an NHS bursary to help us with maintenance from the first year because we only get 1000-2000 student maintenance loan from the government?
    I did mine and it's gone through completely and I've gotten £9000 maintenance and the £5335 for tuition

And I of course fund £3500 towards tuition

ReputationRep:
    Basically you get full maintenance in the first year, and reduced maintenance the other years which the NHS bursary tops up

ReputationRep:
    Basically you get full maintenance in the first year, and reduced maintenance the other years which the NHS bursary tops up
    Okay, that's a relief!
    Thanks for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.