Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegrasshopper)
    Hi guys,

I am an international student from Hong Kong currently studying the IB diploma. I received the invitation for interview from Nottingham earlier this week but my parents seem reluctant to let me fly to the UK for interview. Is there any other way that I can attend the interview? I personally would like to attend the interview on campus though, do you guys have any ideas that I can persuade my parents to let me go to the interview?

Thanks so much
    there is one girl in my year that is from India and she had her interview in Malaysia. I think if you email Nottingham saying its hard for you to fly to UK just for couple of hours they will arrange something. Alternatively, you can send them your portfolio if this option is still aaible for nonUK applicants

ReputationRep:
    Why are they taking so long to reject me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curtis110)
    Why are they taking so long to reject me
    i feel like that. i mean just do it already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auberginedreams)
    Does it matter?
    It matters. Local students have many places reserved. Internationals have only about 20 of 2xx places offered each year. Besides, internationals have to pay v high tuition fee each year. Some cannot afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulu1997)
    Hi guys,
    I haven't heard back from Nottingham yet which is slightly worrying; does anyone have an insight into whether all the interview spaces have gone?
    well, by my count they interview 140 people per day of MMI

all but one day have been allocated so there are still 140 interviews still left to give out, but these will be conducted w/c 30th March so it will be quite some wait

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medapplicant96)
    49/52 on their scoring system thingy and still no interview... anyone else in the same boat?
    don't forget your personal statement is also given a score out of 16 I believe, so this might be the factor that's letting you down?

There's still circa 140 interviews to give out so I wouldn't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hukdealz)
    don't forget your personal statement is also given a score out of 16 I believe, so this might be the factor that's letting you down?

There's still circa 140 interviews to give out so I wouldn't worry
    As said, the PS score is out of 16 - but forms 22.5% of the score weighting once you have reached the final consideration stage for an interview. Academics are also out of 16 and form 22.5% of the weighting, and UKCAT is out of 36 and forms 55% of the weighting when deciding who to interview (all taken from Nottingham's scoring document). So each point on the PS and academics scoring equals 1.41% of the overall weighting and each point on the UKCAT scoring equals 1.53% of the overall weighting. This means that any point on any of the three criteria carries roughly equal value. For example somebody with 46/52 on the academic/UKCAT sift stage would need to out score somebody with 49/52 by three or four points on their PS to move above them in the ranking.

The score out of 16 for PS is awarded based on:
     An understanding of the challenges of a medical career
     Motivation
     Commitment
     Voluntary experience
     Extracurricular activities
     School/College contribution
     Supporting evidence in reference

The scoring document isn't more specific than that so the precise method is just speculation - but (for example) could be 2 points each on the first 6 elements (maybe 2 for stong evidence, 1 for some evidence, 0 for no evidence) and 4 points on the school reference.

Not sure this helps with anything other than speculating how strong your PS is and how your other scores stack up alongside. Maybe somebody with 49/52 and a strong PS could conclude they're in with a good chance. And somebody with a lower score but an amazing PS certainly shouldn't give up hope. So far the lowest academic/UKCAT score I noticed on here with an interview is 44/52, but that could still change.

Good luck to everyboby!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before since I only just found this thread but I called the admissions team and they said the final interviews will be given out tomorrow and Wednesday, so if you don't hear by then then it's bad news.

ReputationRep:
    Just got an email from nottingham saying that they are handing out offers in the first week of April with some early ones in March. Heart nearly stopped when I saw the email!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just got an interview so happy!!

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck to those applying to Nottingham ~ good luck.

My query is intended for a medic from year 2 and beyond currently studying at Nottingham Medical School: Can you please advise about the exam module marks and how they are used in terms of the 5th year final exams. Are medical degree classified i.e. 2:1, 2:2 etc. ??

And will the first term's examination marks be shown as a pass/fail or what?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    just go an interview! theres literally no times left for the only date left though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medlad101)
    just go an interview! theres literally no times left for the only date left though
    Just got one too, haven't tried to book it yet though, guess they'll open up new dates soon. What date is the last one on atm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medlad101)
    Yes that happened to me, just keep refreshing the page and some should come up

ReputationRep:
    Got an interview too! Score of 44 so wasn't very hopeful but this is my 4th and last interview so I'm over the moon

ReputationRep:
    There aren't any interview slots left!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mapdu)
    Hi there. Are there any IB students who have got interviews? My UKCAT is low (637.5); got 7s in all HL courses; and a 43/45 in IB mid-year results. Will be great to get an interview from Nottingham
    Just got an interview earlier today. Predicted 776 at higher, 39 overall with UKCAT 695

ReputationRep:
    I just got an interview kind of relieved :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    interview!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violetcrystal)
    Best of luck to those applying to Nottingham ~ good luck.

My query is intended for a medic from year 2 and beyond currently studying at Nottingham Medical School: Can you please advise about the exam module marks and how they are used in terms of the 5th year final exams. Are medical degree classified i.e. 2:1, 2:2 etc. ??

And will the first term's examination marks be shown as a pass/fail or what?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    The BMedSci is classified with normal honours based on 1st and 2nd year marks, plus the project itself and (AFAIK) part of the first clinical attachment. The BMBS is not classified, finals are pass/fail and previous marks have no bearing.

All results from 1st year to 5th year are given as percentages, and the usual grade boundaries apply for the classified components. Achieving over 70%, I think, in clinical modules earns a merit which looks good if you apply for AFP. Not certain, tbh, as I didn't apply for the AFP and I haven't finished a module with a score over 70% since 3rd year.

Edit: One or two more details; the preclinical passmark is 40%, then it goes up to 50%, although these aren't raw marks. If you fail a 1st year module then you can resit at the next opportunity to progress. Generally speaking, you only get one resit per module without extenuating circumstances but towards the final years there is a tendency to let people resit until they pass or repeat whole modules to get them through.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.