Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The biggest thing was when I was too ashamed to invite my friends over to my house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    The biggest thing was when I was too ashamed to invite my friends over to my house.
    So was I still am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGear)
    Again, sorry to be so nosy! But what job was it? in what sector?
    Actually back then, I'd made most of my money teaching piano after school, still about £100 a day though. But when I had that crazy night, I was doing studio consultancy for media startups with much nicer income, although less frequent and reliable - unlike piano lessons where you have an (almost) guarantees weekly income, the consultancy relied on there being someone needing your services for that one off job.

ReputationRep:
    I've experienced both throughout my life, my mums told me multiple times about when I was young (like 3 or 4) and she was training to become a chartered accountant we literally had no money and my father wasn't earning much either; we were considered poor. Then my mum become chartered as an accountant and in the next few years our life changed drastically and she was up to a salary well above average by the time I was 8/9 and my dads restaurant was finally starting to do well, at this time we had plenty of money and I was at a private school and life was fab.

A few years later my mum left her job and my dad sold his half of the restaurant and I remember to this day we were walking around sainsburys and my mum was describing how we couldn't have the extra things we were used to and we could only buy the bare necessities, I think that was the first time I was able to understand our financial situation and we were back to the stage of almost having nothing, my dad didn't get a huge amount from selling his half and what he did get went into paying off the mortgage so we didn't really have any extra money.

Then things picked up again and my mum got a job as a finance director earning a decent amount and my dad got one a job too earning a decent salary so as a family we were earning enough and significantly more than we needed, it was probably when I was in about year 9 when I realised we finally had money again when my parents started buying me and my brother things like laptops and nice phones. Since then our financial situation has continued improving to the extent that my parents could afford to buy me a car and pay for insurance etc as well as macbooks and iphones for me and my brother and just things like that.

So overall I've definitely experienced both; we were never in total poverty but we were very poor when I was younger and because of those experiences I'm eternally grateful for everything my parents have done for me and how much work they have put in to be able to sort out our financial state, I also think it's taught me a life lesson in the sense that when I see my friends spend like £10 in costa I'm always hesitant and look at the menu to see what's cheaper even though I know we have enough money now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buxtonwater)
    I've experienced both throughout my life, my mums told me multiple times about when I was young (like 3 or 4) and she was training to become a chartered accountant we literally had no money and my father wasn't earning much either; we were considered poor. Then my mum become chartered as an accountant and in the next few years our life changed drastically and she was up to a salary well above average by the time I was 8/9 and my dads restaurant was finally starting to do well, at this time we had plenty of money and I was at a private school and life was fab.

A few years later my mum left her job and my dad sold his half of the restaurant and I remember to this day we were walking around sainsburys and my mum was describing how we couldn't have the extra things we were used to and we could only buy the bare necessities, I think that was the first time I was able to understand our financial situation and we were back to the stage of almost having nothing, my dad didn't get a huge amount from selling his half and what he did get went into paying off the mortgage so we didn't really have any extra money.

Then things picked up again and my mum got a job as a finance director earning a decent amount and my dad got one a job too earning a decent salary so as a family we were earning enough and significantly more than we needed, it was probably when I was in about year 9 when I realised we finally had money again when my parents started buying me and my brother things like laptops and nice phones. Since then our financial situation has continued improving to the extent that my parents could afford to buy me a car and pay for insurance etc as well as macbooks and iphones for me and my brother and just things like that.

So overall I've definitely experienced both; we were never in total poverty but we were very poor when I was younger and because of those experiences I'm eternally grateful for everything my parents have done for me and how much work they have put in to be able to sort out our financial state, I also think it's taught me a life lesson in the sense that when I see my friends spend like £10 in costa I'm always hesitant and look at the menu to see what's cheaper even though I know we have enough money now.
    I'm exactly the same, in fact I won't even go to costa (or any other similar place) unless I'm forced to. I see the price of the drinks in there and all I can think is how much food shopping that could buy me...and also my bank balance D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    My "wow I am well off" moment was when I realized that I live in a capitalist economy in the 21st century.
    Typical felamaslen. :rolleyes: What are you even saying? Capitalist economy could mean almost anything. Capitalism in some form or other exists everywhere, including places where it is entirely normal for people to starve to death.

I'm sure your inane statement fills this guy's tummy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Typical femaleness. :rolleyes: What are you even saying? Capitalist economy could mean almost anything. Capitalism in some form or other exists everywhere, including places where it is entirely normal for people to starve to death.

Yeah I ignored his post because it was ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Yeah I ignored his post because it was ridiculous.
    Oops. It's a good thing you quoted me as just realized I accidentally typed "typical femaleness" instead of "typical felamaslen" .Woopsy.

Dam auto correct making me look bad :mad:

Also I agree with your costa stuff. I really hate eating out as one meal can cost half the price (and that's just like a cheap cafe, never mind some fancy restaurant) of the weekly food shop!

ReputationRep:
    Oops. It's a good thing you quoted me as just realized I accidentally typed "typical femaleness" instead of "typical felamaslen" .Woopsy.

Dam auto correct making me look bad :mad:

Also I agree with your costa stuff. I really hate eating out as one meal can cost half the price (and that's just like a cheap cafe, never mind some fancy restaurant) of the weekly food shop!
    It's okay I knew what you meant

Aye I know, a coffee and a slice of cake in costa racks up about the same is it would cost me for my weekly food shop. Utterly ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay I knew what you meant

Aye I know, a coffee and a slice of cake in costa racks up about the same is it would cost me for my weekly food shop. Utterly ridiculous.
    Don't women just hate the poor

But then you look anti social when you turn it down

Something else I do is bring my own drink in a water bottle rather than buy a drink when buying food from a restaurant or fast food thing

I'm such a tight git lol

ReputationRep:
    Don't women just hate the poor

But then you look anti social when you turn it down

Something else I do is bring my own drink in a water bottle rather than buy a drink when buying food from a restaurant or fast food thing

I'm such a tight git lol
    Why would we hate the poor?

I'll usually just get ice water.

ReputationRep:
    Why would we hate the poor?
    I'm 90% sure you are playing along but just in case... I'm joking

ReputationRep:
    I'm 90% sure you are playing along but just in case... I'm joking
    I'm a bit slow

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit slow
    What does the speed at with you run at have any relevance to what you were talking about?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit slow
    Wait... So you thought I was being serious? :confused:

If so I need to stick disclaimers whenever I am being sarcastic or ironic. The things I have said :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Wait... So you thought I was being serious? :confused:

If so I need to stick disclaimers whenever I am being sarcastic or ironic. The things I have said :eek:
    I have no idea D:

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea D:
    :facepalm:

I'm worried now that that is the sort of thing people think I would say/ think :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Typical felamaslen. :rolleyes: What are you even saying? Capitalist economy could mean almost anything. Capitalism in some form or other exists everywhere, including places where it is entirely normal for people to starve to death.

On average, people are far better off in 21st century capitalist economies than in any other point in world history.

What you lack is perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)

On average, people are far better off in 21st century capitalist economies than in any other point in world history.

What you lack is perspective.
    That's rich.

Your inane statement implied no one could possibly be poor (relative or real poverty) in a 21st century capitalist society which is a moronic statement. Nor does it address the mental impact of fealing like you are at the bottom of the pecking order.

I could go on and compare western capitalist societies to developing countries, the ones that have super powers breathing down their neck, the ones that are breaking free form said super powers, the ones that when through a period of social democracy to curtail the negative aspects of capitalism. The ones that have massive wealth and massive real poverty just a few mile away from then wealth. The fact you haven't addressed what you actually mean by "capitalist society" since that can mean so much and there is such a wide variety of possible societies that could be described as such. But it would be all be pointless and annoying since it is impossible to engage in any level of debate beyond "capitalism is good communism is evil" with you.

You are now back on my ignore filter. :hi:

ReputationRep:
    That's rich.

Your inane statement implied no one could possibly be poor (relative or real poverty) in a 21st century capitalist society which is a moronic statement. Nor does it address the mental impact of fealing like you are at the bottom of the pecking order.

I could go on and compare western capitalist societies to developing countries, the ones that have super powers breathing down their neck, the ones that are breaking free form said super powers, the ones that when through a period of social democracy to curtail the negative aspects of capitalism. The ones that have massive wealth and massive real poverty just a few mile away from then wealth. The fact you haven't addressed what you actually mean by "capitalist society" since that can mean so much and there is such a wide variety of possible societies that could be described as such. But it would be all be pointless and annoying since it is impossible to engage in any level of debate beyond "capitalism is good communism is evil" with you.

You are now back on my ignore filter. :hi:
    I should have been clearer. I was talking about capitalist liberal democracies (so Saudi Arabia not included), and I do think it is possible to be poor in these. But it is very easy to become rich, in relative terms. Much easier than at any point in human history.

The problem with the "developing countries" is their lack of freedom, nothing else. Poverty has nothing to do with the capitalist liberal democracies "breathing down their neck[s]"; it has everything to do with lack of democracy and lack of capitalism in said countries.

But I do admit that I was unclear; it is possible for a nominally capitalist society to be unfree in other ways.

Do you not like engaging in debate with people who disagree with you? I don't mind debating you, even though I strongly disagree with you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.