Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Aw okay! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hey i've got a Skype interview with Imperial in a couple weeks, do you guys have any tips or suggestions of what I should expect with the type of questions and how i should prepare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pool743)
    Hey, thanks for the info and well done on gettting the unconditional offer Were there many people on there own or was everyone with parents? as ill be on my own Also on the website it says the earth sciences programme starts at 12:30 with lunch but it also says that it starts at 10? so what time do I need to be there for because if its 10 ill have to get a bus at 3 in the morning.
    That's okay and thanks well I went on my own and there were a few others on their own but quite a lot of people went with their parents. It doesn't really matter as the parents have a separate programme after lunch so you go around with other applicants. Ouch 3 in the morning . Sorry i'm not entirely sure as I arrived for the start of the day and when I arrived I had to sign in but they maybe have another opportunity to do this. If you wanna see the accomodation or campus you might wanna go early. I'm not sure maybe you should email them about it if you're worried.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by jbrown2)
    Hi there, I have offers both from Imperial and Bristol for geology bsc and was wandering whether to turn down the imperial offer. This is because I have heard many people say that they hate their degree there and the place is run more like a business and the workload is immense. Im also not too sure how well i'd cope with London life on a student budget :/. Does anybody know if the bristol degree is valued anywhere near as much as an imperial degree from an employers perspective? Thanks
    Something to bear in mind is that the Earth Sciences Department's student satisfaction is the highest out of any course at Imperial and as far as I know, they've got the highest student satisfaction in the country. Now, of course that's all just statistics but I very much doubt that many people hate their time in the Earth Sciences department. The work load probably will be massive, but that's to be expected at one of the best universities in the world! If you personally think you wouldn't like going to Imperial then that's totally fair enough, but I don't think it's accurate that most students in the department hate it there. The budget thing is obviously another consideration.

For Bristol, I would guess it'd depend on what you want to do after your degree. If you want to go into something like academia then I don't think it would make a huge difference but if you do want to go into Industry or something like IB, I really do think Imperial is the place to be. Obviously both places are brilliant universities and the most important thing is that you're happy where you are (there's no point going to a university you don't like and be miserable for four years) but it is true that Imperial is probably the place to be for employment prospects.

(Original post by 13geologyHK)
    Hey i've got a Skype interview with Imperial in a couple weeks, do you guys have any tips or suggestions of what I should expect with the type of questions and how i should prepare?
    Honestly, just make sure you're keeping up to date with your interests, make sure you can expand on anything you mentioned on your personal statement and go in with a fresh, clear head. I think it's probably a waste of time trying to cram in exam-style revision, it certainly wouldn't have helped in mine.

ReputationRep:
    got offers for geology for 4 out 5 choices..so excited but still waitin for the final university..durham university..anybody heard from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wan67)
    got offers for geology for 4 out 5 choices..so excited but still waitin for the final university..durham university..anybody heard from them?
    Yeah I heard before Christmas but then again I applied in October. When did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just send mine a few days before deadline early january..already submit on oct though but im applyin through agent so they send off the application late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wan67)
    just send mine a few days before deadline early january..already submit on oct though but im applyin through agent so they send off the application late
    If Durham only received in January you'll probably be waiting a while as they are notorious for being one of the slower unis to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    so are u firming durham or ur going to other university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wan67)
    so are u firming durham or ur going to other university?
    Nope it's not my firm

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Imranfr0)
    X
    Really sorry to hear about Imperial! I hope you're doing okay, have you heard back from all of your universities now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Really sorry to hear about Imperial! I hope you're doing okay, have you heard back from all of your universities now?
    Thanks! I'm fine, anyway, as i said before, i was expecting it as i didn't do too well at AS. I'm still waiting to get something from UCL, and i hope it doesn't take too long because it's getting a bit annoying :cry2::crossedf:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thanks! I'm fine, anyway, as i said before, i was expecting it as i didn't do too well at AS. I'm still waiting to get something from UCL, and i hope it doesn't take too long because it's getting a bit annoying :cry2::crossedf:
    Yeah, quite a few people here seem to be waiting for UCL... Hope you hear back soon. Do you want to go to UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Yeah, quite a few people here seem to be waiting for UCL... Hope you hear back soon. Do you want to go to UCL?
    I don't really mind the uni, I will be happy as long as I am studying geology next year

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I got an unconditional offer from University of Glasgow and I noticed that the course is not accredited by The Geological Society. I read further and found out that if you don't have an accredited degree, you will need more experience to become a chartered geologist. Will this affect me much in the future? Not too sure about the difference in experience needed by an accredited degree holder and a non-accredited degree holder.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Fintastic)
    Hi,
    I got an unconditional offer from University of Glasgow and I noticed that the course is not accredited by The Geological Society. I read further and found out that if you don't have an accredited degree, you will need more experience to become a chartered geologist. Will this affect me much in the future? Not too sure about the difference in experience needed by an accredited degree holder and a non-accredited degree holder.
    I've asked admissions tutors at Oxford and UCL about this because I was also concerned. Both agreed that it's really not that important. Chartership is very different in Geology than it is in Engineering, for instance. Whereas in Engineering it's basically essential if you want to climb up the career ladder, it's a lot less important in Geology. Whilst it is true that you will need more experience to become a chartered Geologist if your degree isn't accredited (although it's only a difference of 1 or 2 years), there don't really appear to be a huge number of benefits of getting chartered in the first place. Certainly if you want to go into academia there's very little point of becoming CGeol but even if you want to go into industry it doesn't really seem to matter. Chartership simply hasn't got the same status in Geology as it does in Engineering so you can't compare the two.

In conclusion, the people I spoke to at Oxford and UCL both said that chartership is not essential. There don't seem to be many benefits of becoming CGeol in the first place and even if you do want to, it'll only take an extra year or two of experience even if your degree isn't accredited. The Geological Society seems to indicate that getting CGeol might improve your prospects of working internationally since apparently the profession is regulated in some other countries, but I don't know to what extent this is applicable.

ReputationRep:
    Same! I messed up as haha, got BBCC! hope u get the UCL offer mate.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, ucl gave me an offer!!!!!1111111 yeeeeeeesss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingPanda)
    Same! I messed up as haha, got BBCC! hope u get the UCL offer mate.
    jUST GOT AN Offer from UCL!!! I can't believe it!!! OMG, I'm gonna cry (of happiness!!)

ReputationRep:
    jUST GOT AN Offer from UCL!!! I can't believe it!!! OMG, I'm gonna cry (of happiness!!)
    congrats man

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.