Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    I did it the year after I graduated (classics degree) specifically so that I could apply to 4 unis without doing the GAMSAT, so I think it was worth it. But then I would say that because I'm going to Southampton in September! To me, it seemed daft not to; GEM is already super competitive, so why lessen your chances by not using all your 4 choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But what about for 2016 entry arts grads? Those of us with arts degrees can only apply to 3 unis without having to sit the GAMSAT now that King's is taking science only grads. Doesn't seem worth it to take GAMSAT just to add one other option but at the same time I don't want to waste a perfectly good fourth choice. So difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    I did it the year after I graduated (classics degree) specifically so that I could apply to 4 unis without doing the GAMSAT, so I think it was worth it. But then I would say that because I'm going to Southampton in September! To me, it seemed daft not to; GEM is already super competitive, so why lessen your chances by not using all your 4 choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But you still need a high UKCAT for southampton with the A level in Chemistry. Honestly you're better off putting the time and money into the GAMSAT and opening up more universities incase you don't do well on the UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B1525)
    UCAS APPLY 2016 has gone live :eek:
    Just started mine, filling it in is strangely nostalgic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Just started mine, filling it in is strangely nostalgic.
    I'd forgotten how much I disliked the UCAS form.

Whilst filling it out I noticed that you can select 2016 entry or defer until 2017. I didn't know this was possible with Medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by converseallstars)
    But what about for 2016 entry arts grads? Those of us with arts degrees can only apply to 3 unis without having to sit the GAMSAT now that King's is taking science only grads. Doesn't seem worth it to take GAMSAT just to add one other option but at the same time I don't want to waste a perfectly good fourth choice. So difficult!
    Sit the UKCAT early, then you'll know if you have a competitive enough score - then if not you have time to prep for GAMSAT, if you then need more options of places to apply to. I sat GAMSAT last year with 3 months prep, as an arts grad, and scored highly enough to get 2 out of 3 interviews from GAMSAT schools. Don't fear the gammo!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttoned.up)
    Sit the UKCAT early, then you'll know if you have a competitive enough score - then if not you have time to prep for GAMSAT, if you then need more options of places to apply to. I sat GAMSAT last year with 3 months prep, as an arts grad, and scored highly enough to get 2 out of 3 interviews from GAMSAT schools. Don't fear the gammo!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, that's my current plan! If UKCAT goes horribly wrong hopefully I won't have left GAMSAT prep too late. Well done on getting in! :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by converseallstars)
    Yep, that's my current plan! If UKCAT goes horribly wrong hopefully I won't have left GAMSAT prep too late. Well done on getting in! :five:
    You can always get started with a bit of casual GAMSAT prep before UKCAT, nothing too time-consuming but enough to mean that you've got things ticking over. VR prep will help with section 1, and QR with section 3, and vice-versa. I am a huge GAMSAT advocate haha, and I think for arts grads, GAMSAT really opens up options.
    Thanks, I'm pretty chuffed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. What is considered a competitive score in the UKCAT? I know it varies between unis but are there any benchmarks for what will be required for 2016 entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    Hi all. What is considered a competitive score in the UKCAT? I know it varies between unis but are there any benchmarks for what will be required for 2016 entry?
    There will be cutoff scores, but universities can't set them until everyone has taken the UKCAT and they know how everyone did.

Last year the cutoffs were around;

Warwick - 710ish but with extra weight on VR section.

Newcastle and Kings 725ish.

These are just off the top of my head, I could be slightly off but it gives you an idea of what a good score is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    There will be cutoff scores, but universities can't set them until everyone has taken the UKCAT and they know how everyone did.

Last year the cutoffs were around;

Warwick - 710ish but with extra weight on VR section.

Newcastle and Kings 725ish.

These are just off the top of my head, I could be slightly off but it gives you an idea of what a good score is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks Liam. I'm assuming those cutoffs are for graduate entry and not undergrad entry? From what I understand the grad cutoffs are much higher than for undergrads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)

Whilst filling it out I noticed that you can select 2016 entry or defer until 2017. I didn't know this was possible with Medicine?
    I remember somebody on tsr deferred their St Georges offer this year. I haven't looked into it myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sampowell92)
    Thanks Liam. I'm assuming those cutoffs are for graduate entry and not undergrad entry? From what I understand the grad cutoffs are much higher than for undergrads?
    Yep and yep

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)

Some will accept deferred undergraduate applications but I don't think any GEM courses do.

ReputationRep:
    Will anybody else be applying for both undergraduate and graduate course entry? Does anybody know if the undergraduate course A-Level reuqirments change if holding a degree? Liverpool are asking for 3 As of which I only have 2 and a B.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Carlos.D)
    Will anybody else be applying for both undergraduate and graduate course entry? Does anybody know if the undergraduate course A-Level reuqirments change if holding a degree? Liverpool are asking for 3 As of which I only have 2 and a B.
    Most universities state their requirements for graduates on the five year course on their website. Often they will have more relaxed A-level requirements if you have a degree, but some still want AAA.

ReputationRep:
    Kings, SGUL and Newcastle all accept deferrals if anyone is thinking about 2017 entry!

ReputationRep:
    I think I've decided I'm going to sit the GAMSAT instead of chemistry/bio A level. I didn't realise how expensive doing the A level was so the GAMSAT seems cheap compared to it!

I'm going to change my UKCAT from start of August to start of July so that I can revise more.

Is this enough time to revise? I really didn't want to sit this but I would rather do it to open up choices for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, UCAS forms. How I have not missed you.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlos.D)
    I will be - and the Unis I contacted (Exeter, Plymouth and a few others) have different criteria for graduates - some want GAMSAT some will look over the whole application and decide accordingly...

You may need to check with all of them to confirm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    I think I've decided I'm going to sit the GAMSAT instead of chemistry/bio A level. I didn't realise how expensive doing the A level was so the GAMSAT seems cheap compared to it!

I'm going to change my UKCAT from start of August to start of July so that I can revise more.

Is this enough time to revise? I really didn't want to sit this but I would rather do it to open up choices for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you should do it. I'm just starting GAMSAT revision too (alongside UKCAT revision). I decided not to go down the A-Level route for the same reasons.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm reading the 600 UKCAT book, in particular the 'Decision Analysis' section and my Philosophy degree is finally coming in handy here! It's very similar to symbolic logic (if anyone else ever had the misfortune of studying that!).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.