Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romanoff)
    In order to outline this I would definitely try remembering 6 very important words:

1) Innate
    2) Sensitive period
    3) Social releasers
    4) Secure base
    5) Monotropy
    6) Internal working model/continuity hypothesis

Elaborate on these for A01 and you're guaranteed the marks!
    Would this get me full marks?

Bowlbys theory is an evolutionary theory where his theory sugests the attachment is important for survival. infants are innately programmed to form an attachment and this is a biological process that takes place during the critical period (0-2.5 years), the role of social releasers are emphasised and the childs relationship with the pcg provides an internal working memory model which influences later relationship and the concept of monotropy suggests that there is one attachment that is more important than the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marli-Ruth)
    So nervous for tomorrow

My predictions are
    12-marker MSMM
    Bowlby i think will be 8 or 4 marker but will definately come up
    dont think learning theory will come up
    If EWT does come up i think it will be anxiety

any other predictions?
    I think that there is a chance day care is going to come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasx_)
    does anyone have a model answer for a 12 mark on day care, or points for ao1 and ao2?
    ''Discuss research into the effects of day care on social development''

AO1:

Day Care refers to care for pre-school aged children that usually occurs outside of the home, examples of day care are nurseries and child minders.

The NICHD conducted a longitudinal study in America. Over 1000 children were studied and assessed at regular intervals. At age 5, the data showed that the more time a child spent in day care, the more adults rated them as disobedient, assertive and aggressive. Children in day care were 3 times more likely to show behavior problems compared to those cared for at home by their mothers. The behavior problems they showed were temper tantrums, lying and hitting.

Day care may also have a negative effect on peer relations. Belsky and Rovine assessed attachment types (using the strange situation). They found that infants who had been receiving 20 hours or more a week of day care were more likely to be insecurely attached than children at home. A child with an insecure attachment is more likely to go on to have problems with their peers in the future.

However, some research has found that day care actually has positive effects on social development and peer relations. The EPPE Project followed the development of 3000 children in different pre-school educational settings in the UK. They found that children who attended day care were more social and independent than those who stayed at home.

As day care exposes children to their peers it might allow them to develop social strategies and improve their relationships with peers. Field found that the amount of time spent in day care was positively correlated to the number of friends they had once they went to school.

AO2:

A weakness of all the research into the effects of day care is that it is correlational data, this means you can't conclude that day care causes the effects seen as there may be other factors causing the relationship. For example one reason there is a positive correlation between day care and the number of friends may simply be that mothers of sociable children might be more likely to send their child to day care as they may think that their child will enjoy it. Conversely a mother of a shy child who finds it difficult to make friends may be more likely to keep them at home.

Another problem with this area of research is that there are so many influences on a child's development it is hard to conclude day care is the main factor which affects their development. For example, one study found that mother's sensitivity to their child was a better predictor of behavioral problems than day care. This shows that it's hard to disentangle the many different influences on a child's development.

A strength of the research is that it has allowed us to see some of the factors that mediate the effects of day care. research has found that the worst effects of day care are when children under the age of 1 are put into day care.

Another strength of the research is that it has real life applications as it has allowed us to see what what the characteristics of good day care are so day care can be improved to ensure the best outcomes for the child. The characteristics of good quality day care include high staff to child ratio, well trained staff, minimal staff turnover and sensitive emotional care.

ReputationRep:
    So nervous for tomorrow

My predictions are
    12-marker MSMM
    Bowlby i think will be 8 or 4 marker but will definately come up
    dont think learning theory will come up
    If EWT does come up i think it will be anxiety

any other predictions?
    I thinking (well hoping) the same. And there's always something on The Strange Situation - usually characteristics of different attachments e.g. how does the behaviour of an insecure-resistant child differ do an insecure-avoidant child?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K3lvin)
    Would this get me full marks?

Bowlbys theory is an evolutionary theory where his theory sugests the attachment is important for survival. infants are innately programmed to form an attachment and this is a biological process that takes place during the critical period (0-2.5 years), the role of social releasers are emphasised and the childs relationship with the pcg provides an internal working memory model which influences later relationship and the concept of monotropy suggests that there is one attachment that is more important than the rest.
    When talking about the monotropic figure - it would be good to stress that he believed it was the mother, and that it was that, single relationship that set the template for future relationships and created their internal working model

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amberuniverse)
    "Outline and evaluate research into the effects of day care on social development (e.g. aggression, peer relations)" is this the question everyone is talking about to come up as a 12 marker?
    Yes, and the most popular belief about the other possible 12 marker, or at least an 8 marker, is the working memory model or the multi store model.

ReputationRep:
    did the jun14 paper and got 51/72

ReputationRep:
    also would this get 6/6 for multi store model please

Atkinson and Shriffin MSM makes a clear distinction between the separate stores of sensory, short term and long term memory. The model is described as an information processing model which consists of an input process and output. Information is passed in a linear way. Firstly the information is detected by the sense organs and enters the sensory memory by the senses of the sound, touch, smell etc. if this info is attended to then this will enter the stm which is believed to have a capacity of 7+-2 and a duration of 20 secs as well as acoustic encoding. if this information is rehearsed then this info is transferred to the ltm where the capacity and duration is unlimited as well as semantic encoding. If rehearsal does not occur then info in stm is forgotten and lost by the process of displacement or decay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessicajohowe)
    When talking about the monotropic figure - it would be good to stress that he believed it was the mother, and that it was that, single relationship that set the template for future relationships and created their internal working model
    #Yes but would this get me full marks or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amberuniverse)
    I thinking (well hoping) the same. And there's always something on The Strange Situation - usually characteristics of different attachments e.g. how does the behaviour of an insecure-resistant child differ do an insecure-avoidant child?
    Lol im hoping the same too!

And i always seem to get confused with questions like how does the behaviour of an insecure-resistant child differ do an insecure-avoidant child?

Ins.Av/Type A: are indifferent to mother leaving the room and actively avoid her when she returns. they play independently.

while Ins.Res/Type C: Intensely distressed when mother leaves, reject and seek comfort when she returns/ show ambivalent behaviours towards her?

Correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutE)
    Its so hard to get an A

been doing papers since yesterday and im literallly on the A boundary
    not hitting the 60 mark like i want too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutE)
    Sometimes the grade boundaries are so low that 70% is an A

ReputationRep:
    also would this get 6/6 for multi store model please

Atkinson and Shriffin MSM makes a clear distinction between the separate stores of sensory, short term and long term memory. The model is described as an information processing model which consists of an input process and output. Information is passed in a linear way. Firstly the information is detected by the sense organs and enters the sensory memory by the senses of the sound, touch, smell etc. if this info is attended to then this will enter the stm which is believed to have a capacity of 7+-2 and a duration of 20 secs as well as acoustic encoding. if this information is rehearsed then this info is transferred to the ltm where the capacity and duration is unlimited as well as semantic encoding. If rehearsal does not occur then info in stm is forgotten and lost by the process of displacement or decay.
    I'd give 6/6

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NutE)
    I'd give 6/6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Justify your reasoning please

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please give me a 6/6 answer for Bowlby's Theory? I know what the main points to include are so please don't just list what they are. I have a very long answer for it and when my teacher marked it she said it was good but needs to be condensed and "less wordy" for the exam

ReputationRep:
    Describe two strategies for improving memory.

what would anyone put for this as i know chunking is incorrect as this is only STM?

I would put Method of Loci and Spider Diagrams/ Mind maps?

any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Would the Skeels and Dye (1939) study into reversing the effects of deprivation also be relevant in a question asking for research into the effects of institutionalisation?

ReputationRep:
    Justify your reasoning please
    It's more than 6 lol, that's like 8 marks haha

ReputationRep:

what would anyone put for this as i know chunking is incorrect as this is only STM?

any other suggestions?
    Acrostic mnemonics is easy to remember and apply, also peg word technique

ReputationRep:

any other suggestions?
    You could also write about Acronyms (a word or a phrase formed out of the first letter of a string of other words).
    Acronyms work due to the dual coding hypothesis which increases the chances of recall as it means that there are 2 routes for you to use to access the information. They also work due to elaboration, you only have to remember the word/phrase and the letters act as cues to trigger the information you need to remember.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.