Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMaybe)
    Im going on the Doctortobe course which is only £65 so hope that makes a difference.
    Oh that is strange. Looking at your posting history you said you went last year and it was so wonderful. So clearly you are the guy who runs it. Is that really ethical for a doctor to be?

ReputationRep:
    hey i was just wondering when you do the free practise ukcat tests ( provided by ukcat) once youve done the test does it provide you with an overall score at the end? I dont want to go through 2 hours if it won't give me an indication of how I will do on the day... Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    hey i was just wondering when you do the free practise ukcat tests ( provided by ukcat) once youve done the test does it provide you with an overall score at the end? I dont want to go through 2 hours if it won't give me an indication of how I will do on the day... Thanks.
    It only gives you a mark for each section out of the total question number so x/44 etc. The exact sorting algorithm isn't know so you only get a rough indication if you're on the right track.

The tests are well worth doing though and shouldn't be skipped. It gets you used to the format.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKCATrocks)
    Oh that is strange. Looking at your posting history you said you went last year and it was so wonderful. So clearly you are the guy who runs it. Is that really ethical for a doctor to be?
    I've never heard of Doctortobe so clearing your seeing things. Unlike some don't have time to speculate and accuse running through posts just on here to get into medicine like the majority, so please if your not running along the same lines think its time to find something more useful with your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aurora.di.nicola)
    Hey I'm an Italian student and I'm going to apply for medicine in Scotland and probably in the UK as well; I'm taking the UKCAT towards the end of September, although I still have to book it. I've only been practising for a few days using the UKCAT practice tests but it's been a horrible experience so far! I still have to improve and practise obviously, I bought the 1000Q book yesterday and I may be getting Medify one week before the actual exam, but I'm still very lost for the moment..
    The timing makes everything incredibly difficult, but in my opinion the most difficult part is QR Is it only me or do you also have problems with that part?
    Or if you don't, do you have some kind of strategy to solve the questions?
    Thank you :/
    I had the exact same problem. Especially for QR. However, now im getting upper 600s with 1-2 minutes to spare (Sometimes) What helped me? Medify.

Please dont book medify later, book it now. That along with ISC is the best. MEdify gets you familiar with the online format and ISC has more comprehensive question. Since it is in September, I suggest you do QR (untimed) till 22nd-23rd ish. Keep using Medify and ISC simultaneously. After you get the hang of the questions and how they're structured, then do the time ones.
    Trust me, Medify is a godsend.
    Also, I suggest you to one practice test from the official UKCAT site. Do them untimed for now, or if you can, do the UKCATSEN timings. It will show you where you stand. And please review all mistakes properly. Like one test is 90 minutes (approx, w/out DM) so spend at least 40-50 minutes going through each mistake, with detail.

Also, use the keyboard shortcuts (alt+n etc) and type the numbers out when using the calculator. This easily saves you 3 seconds per question. Not much when you thing about it but thts like 72 seconds in the big picture (QR) which is obviously a lot.

Good luck (to all of us)

ReputationRep:
    Is there a fixed number of true/false questions for VR? Have never sat UKCAT before and just trying to work out if it's worth only focussing on how to answer the statement based questions.

P.S. Applying for Grad. Med and unfortunately have to nail VR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    I'm going on the kaplan course tomz and im so worried. They sent this mini test to see 'where we are at' and i did it and althoguh i have been getting averages of 660 in my practing so far. I couldnt do the maths at all and got like 450 i got 630 verbal reasoong and 670 Ar and band 2 SJ, so embarsing turning up the the course tomz with 450 QR, how embarssing. I struggle SO SO SO much at it. I cannot think that quick

Hey can you send me the details regarding the UKCAT courses?

Ive been advised and will be attending an interview and personals statement course:
    http://dentalinterviewprep.com/wp-co...M-PART-1-2.pdf

But I think im gonna struggle with the UKCAT, is it too late to book a UKCAT course, or is there a good online resource to use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TechRaid3r)
    Apparently it doesn't count, so yeah I'd advise you to focus on the other sections since that's what most people will do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why it is there if not being marked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKCATrocks)
    May be he is retaking it this year

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT end of August. Have 1000q book. What else do I need ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKCATmagic)
    UKCAT end of August. Have 1000q book. What else do I need ?
    I recommend Medify if you don't have that already

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=thatcooldude2.0;66424740]I recommend if you don't have that already[/QUOTE

What are the other options ? I mean other than 1000q book and medify

ReputationRep:
    Hi, you're not alone in feeling like the abstract reasoning section is from another planet! I really struggled with it too. I recommend getting the 500Q book because the patterns in that are really hard so they prepared me well. Also, medify is great at getting your speed up. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=UKCATmagic;66425116]
    (Original post by thatcooldude2.0)
    I recommend if you don't have that already[/QUOTE

What are the other options ? I mean other than 1000q book and medify
    There's also a Kaplan book and online mock on their website.

ReputationRep:
    Hey can i ask you one questio. While doing your practice from isc 1000ukcat did u read all long explanations given in answers at back? Like its so long

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hypothetically speaking, if i sat there and did absolutely nothing through the decision making, my score etc would not be effected at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stacybbb)
    Hi, you're not alone in feeling like the abstract reasoning section is from another planet! I really struggled with it too. I recommend getting the 500Q book because the patterns in that are really hard so they prepared me well. Also, medify is great at getting your speed up. Good luck!
    Hi Thanks for the advice I'm going to register on the Medify website. How did you do in your UKCAT ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMaybe)
    Hi Thanks for the advice I'm going to register on the Medify website. How did you do in your UKCAT ?
    You're welcome.

I got:
    VR: 570
    QR: 800
    AR: 860
    SJ: Band 1

I'm really disappointed with the VR score but I'm pleased with the other two so we shall see.

Good luck with yours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameeshh)
    hypothetically speaking, if i sat there and did absolutely nothing through the decision making, my score etc would not be effected at all?
    Correct. The decision making section does NOT contribute to your final score. However, I think it's beneficial to give it a good go and keep your mind active ready for the QR and AR sections that follow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stacybbb)
    Correct. The decision making section does NOT contribute to your final score. However, I think it's beneficial to give it a good go and keep your mind active ready for the QR and AR sections that follow.
    Yeah I understand that, but I dont think Ill go all out bc I dont want to lose focus either. Thanks for your help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2017

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.