Announcements
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Are you completely stupid? :facepalm:
    Now now... anyone answering that would have no choice but to put themselves in a position of getting a card
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Mmm, nothing to do with the state of what he released as SoS for Defence then
    If it was to do with the SOI, it would have happened then

Are you completely stupid? :facepalm:
    I thought we'd get this reaction. Rather than judging him from his previous actions, judge him by what he produces in the role.

ReputationRep:
    It seems the TSR Banter Party is alive already, and in government too!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)

I thought we'd get this reaction. Rather than judging him from his previous actions, judge him by what he produces in the role.
    IF he is actually able to produce anything in his role I would be concerned...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    God save us all, Aph when are you going to invite the leaders of ISIS to take over the nation?
    Why, we are having high tea with the queen next Tuesday
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Not necessarily - could be trying to deflect our suspicion away from this reasoning...

From this, can we assume that he'd got stuff ready to release to the House? Otherwise, how can we judge him at this time on what he's produced, because he's not done anything yet... therefore, we kind of have to judge him on previous actions.

That's like saying, should we let a killer sleep in our house. Let's make that decision on what he does next (bit too late by then potentially...) or shall we make that decision based on past history.

ReputationRep:
    Now now... anyone answering that would have no choice but to put themselves in a position of getting a card
    I can only hope questions are okay. Seriously though, I know THB was a mediocre SoS at best but this is a whole new level of despair. If this were the real deal, I'd suspect Aph knows some dirty secrets about Petros and uses them to blackmail him.

We've already seen his ‘brilliant’ output too many times! How many proofs do you need to finally and rightfully write someone off?!
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Not necessarily - could be trying to deflect our suspicion away from this reasoning...

From this, can we assume that he'd got stuff ready to release to the House? Otherwise, how can we judge him at this time on what he's produced, because he's not done anything yet... therefore, we kind of have to judge him on previous actions.

That's like saying, should we let a killer sleep in our house. Let's make that decision on what he does next (bit too late by then potentially...) or shall we make that decision based on past history.
    Fair point I suppose, but am I really that smart?

I don't think Aph's quite as bad as a murderer.

He doesn't have anything on Defence as of yet, but I'm confident enough in his capabilities. If I wasn't I wouldn't have appointed him.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Aph has been appointed Secretary of State for Defence, replacing thehistorybore who will continue as Secretary of State for Justice
    I look forward to seeing the new formation of the Royal Avian and Archaeology Force with boots on the ground to protect birds and archaeological sites in the middle east from Daesh scum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Why, we are having high tea with the queen next Tuesday
    .....Shut the door behind you when you leave
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I can only hope questions are okay. Seriously though, I know THB was a mediocre SoS at best but this is a whole new level of despair. If this were the real deal, I'd suspect Aph knows some dirty secrets about Petros and uses them to blackmail him.

We've already seen his ‘brilliant’ output too many times! How many proofs do you need to finally and rightfully write someone off?!
    Well, if he does something 'brilliant' it'll be me taking the fall for it, and I'm sure you'll be on hand to point it out. In the meantime though, be patient

IF he is actually able to produce anything in his role I would be concerned...
    Why so pessimistic JD? I bet you both have loads in common....
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper

True - as my old History teacher used to say, if you can't be rude to someone to their face, just ask someone if you're allowed to be!
    Fair point I suppose, but am I really that smart?
    In the interest of not getting a card, I withhold any comment at this time.

I don't think Aph's quite as bad as a murderer.
    Again, I withhold any comment at this time, in the interest of a clean slate right now.

He doesn't have anything on Defence as of yet, but I'm confident enough in his capabilities. If I wasn't I wouldn't have appointed him.
    Whilst you might be confident, considering he has not put anything forward as of yet, it is quite unreasonable for you to expect the rest of us to not look at the past, when there's nothing in the future to look at.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    True - as my old History teacher used to say, if you can't be rude to someone to their face, just ask someone if you're allowed to be!

In the interest of not getting a card, I withhold any comment at this time.

Again, I withhold any comment at this time, in the interest of a clean slate right now.

Whilst you might be confident, considering he has not put anything forward as of yet, it is quite unreasonable for you to expect the rest of us to not look at the past, when there's nothing in the future to look at.
    Fair enough. But you can't expect me to not defend his appointment by telling you to be patient

ReputationRep:
    Aph will have to get any SoI or Bill through Government first, I am sure we, the Government, and the new SoS for Defence can work on something reasonable which both sides can support.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Fair enough. But you can't expect me to not defend his appointment by telling you to be patient
    I wouldn't expect you to appoint him as SoS for Defence and then to not try and back him up here

(Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Aph will have to get any SoI or Bill through Government first, I am sure we, the Government, and the new SoS for Defence can work on something reasonable which both sides can support.
    Good luck - you'll need it!

ReputationRep:
    I see PetrosAC has appointed a pacifist to command the department tasked with defending Britain, running British military involvements around the world, and looking after the tools underpinning Britain's hard power. But this appointment is made in desperation, the Liberals do not have any other active members willing to take on this post, Aph is the last active member the ailing Liberals have. The alternative of losing the cabinet position to Labour does not fit in with the Liberals' desire to grab as much virtual power as the party can. Labour must be loving the appointment of an extreme-left member to the role of Secretary of State for Defence, it proves the Liberals are cannon fodder in a Labour coalition.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I see PetrosAC has appointed a pacifist to command the department tasked with defending Britain, running British military involvements around the world, and looking after the tools underpinning Britain's hard power. But this appointment is made in desperation, the Liberals do not have any other active members willing to take on this post, Aph is the last active member the ailing Liberals have. The alternative of losing the cabinet position to Labour does not fit in with the Liberals' desire to grab as much virtual power as the party can. Labour must be loving the appointment of an extreme-left member to the role of Secretary of State for Defence, it proves the Liberals are cannon fodder in a Labour coalition.
    I suppose at least on the Government's side there is no longer going to be issues between the Treasury and MoD over Trident.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Because unless the rest of the government is as disturbed as Aph the won't be producing much, and what he does will be severely neutered. I suppose your brains could have all turned to mush over the last month, judging by the budget they're well on the way.
    We've already established some policy before Aph was appointed internally, so I fully expect him to carry on that line of work whilst adding his own twist to it

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I see PetrosAC has appointed a pacifist to command the department tasked with defending Britain, running British military involvements around the world, and looking after the tools underpinning Britain's hard power. But this appointment is made in desperation as the Liberal do not have any other active members willing to take on this post; losing the cabinet position to Labour does not fit in with the Liberals' desire to grab as much virtual power as the party can. Labour must be loving the appointment of an extreme-left member to the role of Secretary of State for Defence, it proves the Liberals are cannon fodder in a Labour coalition.
    If I felt there was no one in my party capable of taking on the role to a sufficient standard, I would have requested a Swap with Labour for another ministry, like I did with the Chancellorship and Foreign Affairs. To claim we're trying to grab virtual power is therefore absurd. We're already established internal policy that I expect Aph to carry on whilst adding his own ideas into the mix. Any Policy released will have majority Government support, so to claim that we're suddenly going to be adopting pacifist policies is incorrect.

Regardless, I look forward to proving you wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose at least on the Government's side there is no longer going to be issues between the Treasury and MoD over Trident.
    There was never going to be an issue because any Liberal in the position would have ignored their beliefs to satisfy their Labour leaders; making small compromises the Liberals call it. I remember Petros stating Aph would have no influence on the government when Aph defected as Aph did not have a cabinet seat, Aph now has one. I remember thehistorybore being given a cabinet seat soon after defecting, the Liberals were in desperate need of active MPs; if you defect Petros may appoint you.

ReputationRep:
    We've already established some policy before Aph was appointed internally, so I fully expect him to carry on that line of work whilst adding his own twist to it

If I felt there was no one in my party capable of taking on the role to a sufficient standard, I would have requested a Swap with Labour for another ministry, like I did with the Chancellorship and Foreign Affairs. To claim we're trying to grab virtual power is therefore absurd. We're already established internal policy that I expect Aph to carry on whilst adding his own ideas into the mix. Any Policy released will have majority Government support, so to claim that we're suddenly going to be adopting pacifist policies is incorrect.

Regardless, I look forward to proving you wrong.
    You wanted to prove me wrong in the terrible budget but the there were no Liberal policies in the budget, the Liberals had only prevented Labour implementing all of their plans. As we know, a party in a coalition that has included none of their ideas in a budget is canon fodder to a slightly larger party: renegotiation of the coalition agreement with is needed when the Liberals do not manage to have any Liberal policies in the budget.

I would like you to explain why you think a pacifist who has proposed abolishing the military, and has admitted to not knowing a lot about military equipment is a good appointment to be Secretary of State for Defence when you have members in your party who support renewing Trident. The move to appoint Aph is clearly a move to appoint any active Liberal MP who wants a position because handing over another position makes the Liberals weaker, unable to fulfil their duties.

toronto353 As a member of the Liberals who supports renewing Trident, and believes in Britain having adequate military defences, do you support the appointment of a pacifist who has advocated abolishing the military to the role of Secretary of State for Defence?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.