Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016 watch

ReputationRep:
    FTB 1st round interviews out by email, individually addressed

ReputationRep:
    Selborne rejections coming out by individually addressed e-mail.

Best of luck to those who through to interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabeebar)
    FTB 1st round interviews out by email, individually addressed
    Congrats! That's my hope fast fading now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey - has anyone heard anything from 7 Bedford Row?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyLaw23)
    Edit: Wilberforce post-2nd round rejections out by email
    Unlucky. You've done well to get a second round at such a good set. They always say it's just a matter of time once you start getting second rounds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aforcemajeure)
    Hey - has anyone heard anything from 7 Bedford Row?
    No, nothing yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just 7BR and Tanfield left for me then I'm out until the Gateway sets - this really has not gone as well as I hoped....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegalLab)
    Just 7BR and Tanfield left for me then I'm out until the Gateway sets - this really has not gone as well as I hoped....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel your pain. Stick with it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radebe91)
    Unlucky. You've done well to get a second round at such a good set. They always say it's just a matter of time once you start getting second rounds!
    Thanks and I really hope so Though I think to a large extent it's also a matter of luck, both on whether you get to 1st round on the paper sift, then whether you 'click' with the interviewers, if you get a problem on a topic you actually remember something about, etc...

Also, Selborne rejections out by email. Just waiting on Tanfield and Quadrant 2nd round now, otherwise here comes the Gateway (plus one or two other non-PG sets in the meantime)

ReputationRep:
    Though I think to a large extent it's also a matter of luck, both on whether you get to 1st round on the paper sift, then whether you 'click' with the interviewers, if you get a problem on a topic you actually remember something about, etc...
    I think that's right. Unless you are just obviously incredible then it's an extremely subjective thing and involves a fair amount of luck.

Also, Selborne rejections out by email. Just waiting on Tanfield and Quadrant 2nd round now, otherwise here comes the Gateway (plus one or two other non-PG sets in the meantime)
    Which other non-PG sets are you going for in the time between now and then?

ReputationRep:
    Which other non-PG sets are you going for in the time between now and then?
    The ones with deadlines are as follows, though not sure I'll be applying to many of them:
    Hogarth (22 Feb)
    1 Chancery Lane (29 Feb)
    Hailsham (2 Mar)
    Five Paper (3 Apr)
    No5 (27 Apr)
    9 Gough Square (30 Apr)

ReputationRep:
    The ones with deadlines are as follows, though not sure I'll be applying to many of them:
    Hogarth (22 Feb)…
    Suspect that we'll have a re-run of last year with Hogarth - wait until all the applications are in, then tell everyone that they weren't really offering a pupillage at all. The telltale for this is that the deadline is Monday, but it hasn't been listed on the gateway web site at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typonaut)
    Suspect that we'll have a re-run of last year with Hogarth - wait until all the applications are in, then tell everyone that they weren't really offering a pupillage at all. The telltale for this is that the deadline is Monday, but it hasn't been listed on the gateway web site at all.
    No idea - I haven't really bothered checking the Gateway at all this cycle, I just compiled a list of Chambers and their deadlines manually according to my interests (ie. by checking each set's own website)

ReputationRep:
    No idea - I haven't really bothered checking the Gateway at all this cycle, I just compiled a list of Chambers and their deadlines manually according to my interests (ie. by checking each set's own website)
    Well, whatever suits your needs, but I think you could be missing one or two pupillages - because there are always "new" sets or those that do not recruit every year. Unless you somehow have a list of those too.:-)

ReputationRep:
    2 Dr Johnson Second rounds out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pupillageseeker1)
    2 Dr Johnson Second rounds out
    Congrats!

(Original post by typonaut)
    Well, whatever suits your needs, but I think you could be missing one or two pupillages - because there are always "new" sets or those that do not recruit every year. Unless you somehow have a list of those too.:-)
    Granted, I may well be missing the odd one, but it would be unlikely I'd apply there as my list is based on extensive digging in the areas I'm interested in (chancery, commercial, prof neg, tax, etc) and the places I'd actually consider applying to (eg. nothing outside London and an award of at least X amount), plus it does include sets that don't recruit every year (eg. Cloisters). I am by no means saying that this approach would suit everyone, just that it suits me personally

ReputationRep:
    I made a decision this year to make a more extensive search for regional sets as frankly I don't fancy my chances of getting pupillage in London with all the competition.

Problem is that it's quite hard to find civil law pupillages in the regions that I'm interested in. Seems like it's a lot more common to get huge sets doing everything under the sun. I avoid crime like the plague and I don't really want to do loads of personal injury either, which rules out a big chunk of options.

ReputationRep:
    I made a decision this year to make a more extensive search for regional sets as frankly I don't fancy my chances of getting pupillage in London with all the competition.

Problem is that it's quite hard to find civil law pupillages in the regions that I'm interested in. Seems like it's a lot more common to get huge sets doing everything under the sun. I avoid crime like the plague and I don't really want to do loads of personal injury either, which rules out a big chunk of options.
    Can't you specialize within those 'huge sets' towards a more commercial / chancery practice? I can see some (even quite junior) barristers at No 5 Chambers that don't do any family, PI, or crime work. [I know nothing about regional sets, just picked that one at random because I knew it was very large].

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd be applying and just hoping to get an offer. In a larger set you are going to be able to distinguish yourself in certain areas over time.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard anything from Quadrant yet post-test set? I believe they were meant to be notifying people either way today...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.