Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lkate1569)
    I think it was a really good paper, I liked the essays however ran out of time and for the family diversity essay I only wrote about functionalist, new right and then contrasted with postmodernist views. Didn't get to write about any family patters wby??
    Yeah I'm feeling kinda mixed about it. The essays had a lot of opportunity for theory and contemporary examples but I felt that they were sort of similar in the topics? Also they were worded awkwardly aha, but yeah I ran out of time as well! This paper is almost one mark per minute of exam time which is a bit crazy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elegantelephant)
    I'm really worried because it said 'in the last 40 years' in the question but the only policies I could think of were Sex Discrimination Act 1975, Equal Pay Act 1970, and GIST and WISE; do you think it counts because their effects are still seen today?
    I put sex discrimination act and equal pay act too but I'm worried they're incorrect as they go over 40 years :X

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys find today's sociology exam?

ReputationRep:
    in the middle of my sociology exam there was a bomb scare so we got evacuated and we missed the rest of our exam anyone have any idea what will happpen.. some poeple saying we will get our target grade and other sayin we all pass. ambulance,, police and everything came. The exam was kinda hard i think i would of ran out of time

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone feel like the exam is far too short? Like it should be an hour and a half? I get the mark a minute thing but I like to plan my essays and today it just felt like I had no time to think even when I finished the short answer questions first!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone made or found an unoffical mark scheme????

ReputationRep:
    I completely blanked out on explain the two functions in education

I wrote about labelling and streaming LOL FGS

I'm going to ask anyways...
    Is that right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenNinjaa)

Is that right?
    Unfortunately, I don't think that is correct. When it asked for functions I think it was talking about the different perspectives
    I also made this mistake

ReputationRep:

Is that right?
    I wrote that aswell....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For the 20 mark question, did you guys write about cultural deprivation, material deprivation etc??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clo_ann_)
    I wrote that aswell....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I'm sorry but that's not what it was asking - functions are what the school provides (i.e. things functionalists like, such as social solidarity, meritocracy, role allocation).

ReputationRep:

Is that right?
    I wrote about patent maintenance and how the schools may hold ethnocentric views which could isolate some ethnic minorities causing them to underachieve. And then I talked about the hidden curriculum and correspondence principle from the Marxist view

ReputationRep:

Is that right?
    i wrote about fuctionalism like durkeim and parsons and marxism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasmine149)
    For the 20 mark question, did you guys write about cultural deprivation, material deprivation etc??
    Exactly, talked about income with Jan flaharty and then housing. Then j.w Douglas and Bernstein for external factors and then Hargreaves,Jacobson&rosenthal and Nell keddie in the internal factors

ReputationRep:
    It didn't ask about functions it asked about functional policies so writing about social solidarity and role allocation is weong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vezuxiii)
    It didn't ask about functions it asked about functional policies so writing about social solidarity and role allocation is weong
    The 10 marker asked for functions of education so talking about social solidarity and role allocation is correct, it was the 6 marker which asked for marketisation policies in the last 40 years that have affected girls achievement (or something similar to that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cornishparty)
    The 10 marker asked for functions of education so talking about social solidarity and role allocation is correct, it was the 6 marker which asked for marketisation policies in the last 40 years that have affected girls achievement (or something similar to that)
    It didn't ask about functions alone, it asked for functional policies which is entirely different to functions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vezuxiii)
    It didn't ask about functions alone, it asked for functional policies which is entirely different to functions
    It was definitely functions and how they affect class achievement. The 6-marker concerned marketisation policies linked to girls' achievement. It's very unlikely you'd get a social policy 6-marker followed by a social policy 10-marker.

ReputationRep:
    For the 10 marker would it be okay to discuss two MARXISTS functions? I said for point 1 that education legitimises inequality through the hidden curriculum and elaborated codes then for point 2 i said that education is used to instil ruling class values as althusser discusses. Could i still get 10/10 even though they're two marxists functions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    I thought it would be nice to start a thread on anybody doing these exams...as I can't see any thread for the AS Units!!!!
    That's what I did! I did about perspectives , Marxists correspondence principle and functionalist meritocracy , and the Paul Willis study of 'learning to labour' about the ideological smoke screen but I don't know if it's right eeeeek xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.