Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Eu: In or out?

• View Poll Results: Should be stay a member or leave?
    Stay
    58.06%
    Leave
    41.94%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricio_miguel)
    Ffs ...what you guys are saying is so not true. Turkey has applied to join the EU. HOWEVER they have to meet a certain membership criteria:

-they must be democratic nations, with functioning legal systems dedicated to protecting the law and human rights of the population and minorities

- must have a functioning market economy and be able to compete with the other countries in the EU

- they have to be able to implement obligations of EU membership - adhering to political, economic, social rules etc

On top of this, all 28 member states must agree to Turkey being accepted into the union.It's been estimated that for Turkey to meet all of these requirements it would take until the year 3000.

Also, if Turkey was to join the EU, we are NOT part of the Schengen Area, we do not have free movement of people from the EU, we have strong border controls and the ability to turn anyone away who we feel is a threat to the country. In no way would we have 75 million Turkish people flooding our borders, that's absolutely ridiculous.

THE EU REF IS SUCH A MASSIVE DECISION MAKE SURE YOU FACT CHECK BEFORE BASING YOUR OPINIONS ON POSTS LIKE THESE.

If you couldn't tell yet...I voted REMAIN! If we leave - that's it; no way of being a part of EU ever again ( given that all the other countries would have to agree on this)
    The ironic thing is that there is a joke in Brussels that the EU wouldn't meet the criteria to join itself

And you say we aren't in schengen and don't have free movement, except we do, having a border post does not stop the freedom of movement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob)
    Can't think of a single argument for remaining. The handling of the migrant crisis, immigration, Ukraine, ISIL security, multinational corporations, manufacturing and the euro in general should be enough to convince any sane person that we shouldn't be governed by an elite in Brussels...
    the "elite in Brussels" (EU Commission) is only the executive arm of the EU. The real power to make decisions is firmly in the hands of the EU Council, which is composed by the democratically designated Governments of the EU Member States, plus the directly-elected European Parliament

The legislative power in the EU is in fact composed by two chambers (Council and European Parliament) very much like any two-chamber system in Western democracies

The EU executive (Commission) has only the power to initiate legislation, not to amend or adopt it

ReputationRep:
    People are acting like all young people are voting remain and all older people are voting leave. This poll seems pretty close right now

ReputationRep:
    many countries dont want us to leave who are from the eu as were the strongest in there they depend on us ... and why would britain be forced to pay brussels for leaving ??? its alll david camereons , if he wasnt pm this wouldnt happened he is just greedy of power and a biig idiot who just catred about getting in power so he promised he would start a refrendum which is tots insane first thing i want is us to stay and second get david camereon over thrown ...

ReputationRep:
    i really hate politics mainly because of the politicians being greedy for power and acting insane trying to say they care about there civilians but they talk **** ... there totally insane

ReputationRep:
    people were acting insane last week there two boats one with people who to remain and one who wanted to leave they were trying to drown each other this is wat it came down to this is wat david cameron caused conflict between the british

I voted in because Boris wants out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eminkinza)
    people were acting insane last week there two boats one with people who to remain and one who wanted to leave they were trying to drown each other this is wat it came down to this is wat david cameron caused conflict between the british
    And one of the people on Geldof's remain boat openly said today they voted leave, although it's worth noting that there were no attempts to drown people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And one of the people on Geldof's remain boat openly said today they voted leave, although it's worth noting that there were no attempts to drown people

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ok but thats wat it said on one of the news i read but i dunno then

ReputationRep:
    its so unfair the younger ones cant vote today its gonna be affecting there life aswell if i could vote i would have voted remain got to more years left to vote

ReputationRep:
    Whether you have voted to remain or leave I'm sure that we can all agree that both sides of the debate have proven that very rarely what you hear has been true. Both leave and remain have manipulated data and stats to try and get their point across. I've found it incredibly difficult to find actual facts and figures that have proven to be legitimate.

ReputationRep:
    Well, just do your own independent research then. Such as the fact that the eu is already signing free trade agreements with various nations, including senegal in africa and vietnam in asia.

Or know basic economics and see that out is a very bad idea.

Or know that businesses that are top employers in the uk have warned they might move out of the uk if they were to leave because they located in the uk to have access to the eu market.

Or know of the voting fraud that took place in the scottish ref.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caius Filimon)
    Well, just do your own independent research then. Such as the fact that the eu is already signing free trade agreements with various nations, including senegal in africa and vietnam in asia.

Or know basic economics and see that out is a very bad idea.

Or know that businesses that are top employers in the uk have warned they might move out of the uk if they were to leave because they located in the uk to have access to the eu market.

Or know of the voting fraud that took place in the scottish ref.
    So which businesses said they WILL leave? How about praising their imminent trade deal with the Klingons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think this turned out to be quite an easy decision for me to make. It's such a complex issue that the vast majority of people don't actually understand it and no one can say what will happen either way so i made the decision based on the following

1) Absolutely no one can predict the long term outcome of either decision so it's not even worth trying to base my decisions on long term what ifs

2) Voting to leave is a jump into the unknown and we'd be faced with a period of uncertainty - This isnt necessarily a bad thing however from my point of view life is good so i don't think it was worth taking that jump. Perhaps in a different part of the country life might not be so good for people so it is worth taking that risk and the jump into the unknown

3) similar to the point above. My default vote would be to remain and it is up to the leave campaign to tell me why i should vote for a big massive change. I haven't seen a convincing enough argument to make me think it's worth taking the above risk. I have seen legitimate arguments criticising the EU but not enough to make me want to come out of it entirely.

4) For those uncertain on which way to vote i think its good to look at the people who are backing either side. Looking at my facebook feed, debates i see at work, the politicians, celebrities etc etc i feel like there is a far greater number of morons and unlikeable people campaigning to leave.

Finally i think there probably is a decent argument to leave the EU but this has not been presented well. Neither campaign has covered themselves in glory but it's the IMO it's up to the leave campaign to convince me to leave not the remains job to convince me to remain and there have been some horrible horrible people campaigning to leave that any legitimately good argument to leave has just been completely overshadowed and lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABoyHasNoName)
    seee when the great app that I pay £5 a month to get premium on (spotify) tells you to do something you listen!
    Haha, nice one

Here's some more lyrics you might recognize:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So I say
    I think I'd better leave right now
    Before I fall any deeper
    Feeling weaker and weaker
    Somebody better show me out
    Before I fall any deeper

In case you're wondering, I've cast my vote, and I think we'd better leave right now. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Haha, nice one

Here's some more lyrics you might recognize:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So I say
    Before I fall any deeper
    Feeling weaker and weaker
    Somebody better show me out
    Before I fall any deeper
    In case you're wondering, I've cast my vote, and I think we'd better leave right now. :yep:
    England singing:
    "At first I was afraid, I was petrified
    Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side
    But then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong
    And I grew strong "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eminkinza)
    many countries dont want us to leave who are from the eu as were the strongest in there they depend on us ... and why would britain be forced to pay brussels for leaving ??? its alll david camereons , if he wasnt pm this wouldnt happened he is just greedy of power and a biig idiot who just catred about getting in power so he promised he would start a refrendum which is tots insane first thing i want is us to stay and second get david camereon over thrown ...
    I would say Germany are stronger!

ReputationRep:
    I cant vote, but i would vote in .

ReputationRep:
    The last time I did a poll on labour leadership on TSR it very accurately represented the actual result....

Please. No.

ReputationRep:
    Here we go again: 4,500 picked up from Africa and brought to Europe in only ONE day.

http://www.dw.com/en/in-40-operation...ean/a-19351295

How long until many of them are in the UK? They can even come legally with EU passports if a country gives them asylum. We are witnessing the end of Europe, brought upon by egalitarian progressivism.

Each and every single remain voter is guilty of this fate.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.