Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenice)
    Source?
    http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_57...c9c?edition=uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnieGakusei)
    Isn't not wanting to live next to Romanians xenophobia? I'm pretty sure they're of the same race as many racists.

Also, with three main parties admitting themselves they don't really have a means of slowing down immigration, I can sort of see where Farage is coming from and why he might take a different view. It doesn't mean I have a problem with immigration in the slightest. I actually want us to be able to take in people from outside Europe rather than discriminating against workers because they're African or Indian or Chinese.

It also doesn't mean I like Farage though, haha. I dislike him as much as the rest of our country's politicians.
    Let's make this clear. Racism and bigotry are of equal disdain. Don't try and defend it on semantics.

Saying you don't want to live next to Romanians is a mixture of bigotry and racism. If someone said 'I don't want to live next to Chinese people, or Afrians or Jews or Muslims etc' we'd call it either racist, bigoted, xenophobic or bigotry. All carry the same weight.

Of course there are legitimate concerns with immigration. Of course not everyone who opposes immigration or wants reduced immigration is racist, far from it.
    But Farage, i'm finally convinced, simply is.

He purposely whips up hate, just look at his poster yesterday regarding refugees, which is almost identical to Nazi propaganda.
    This isn't a man with legitimate concerns, it's a bigot trying to stir hate.

Again, wanting less immigration is not racist, but stirring up a hatred of immigrants and refugees themselves is.

It's this culture of hatred, of disdain, of anger that Farage and Trump cash in on. And it's no surprise to see that some people take it too far. Farage has normalised far right views.

ReputationRep:
    No mate, it's all just the PC thought police. Producing a Nazi like poster and calling for violence are just mainstream, the problem is these wooly liberals taking offence.

ReputationRep:
    A misleading way of reporting this

He didn't so much 'say it's the next step' as predict that regrettably it might be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    No mate, it's all just the PC thought police. Producing a Nazi like poster and calling for violence are just mainstream, the problem is these wooly liberals taking offence.
    Where did he 'call for violence'? Your illustration of this is silly and unhelpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Farage is always clever and hovers just short of the most egregious statements whilst making it clear that he totally believes all the **** chucked at migrants by the right wing tabloids, etc, who are equally culpable in this.
    Indeed. What utterly makes me laugh is how he pretends to support Commonwealth migration to make out he's not racist. If we go out the EU I look forward to Farage calling for the borders to open for Commonwealth migration...

It's equivalent to 'look i'm not racist, I have a black friend'.

No person has done more to make far-right views mainstream. Unfortunately he's been hugely succesful, even if not electorally.

ReputationRep:
    Where did he 'call for violence'? Your illustration of this is silly and unhelpful
    Here you go mate:

https://www.facebook.com/ImagineFara...0766171101451/

ReputationRep:
    My point about UKIP and Farage is that they normalise racism. They make far-right opinions mainstream.
    Their opinions are only mainstream because people vote for them... Before UKIP, Farage-like politicians were among the Conservatives, whose doctrine would have been considered as racist by our current standards. It's not difficult to find racist quotes from Churchill and other Tory leaders, such as Enoch Powell.

You seem to think that UKIP and their ideas are something new, whilst they have always existed. UKIP is just in fact a split from the Conservative Party. This is why Farage claims to be the true inheritor of Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Their opinions are only mainstream because people vote for them... Before UKIP, Farage-like politicians were among the Conservatives, whose doctrine would have been considered as racist by our current standards. It's not difficult to find racist quotes from Churchill and other Tory leaders, such as Enoch Powell.

You seem to think that UKIP and their ideas are something new, whilst they have always existed. UKIP is just in fact a split from the Conservative Party. This is why Farage claims to be the true inheritor of Thatcher.
    I disagree.
    UKIP are far more about social views, tories now are generally socially liberal and care more about economics.

I do believe that Farage has made the views of the National Front and BNP mainstream. Yes these views have always existed, but they'd always been fringe views.

Now suddenly it's mainstream to publish a Nazi-like Propaganda poster attacking refugees and to declare you don't want to live next to Romanians.

Even a few weeks ago you saw Boris Johnson ordering a member of the crows to go and intimated a news reporter.
    The tone from Farage and the leave campaign has been incredibly aggressive and intimidating.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are obviously choosing to interpret this as him calling for violence where it can just as easily be his view on what happens when people feel powerless. In other places he is much clearer that he doesn't want violence himself

ReputationRep:
    I think you are obviously choosing to interpret this as him calling for violence where it can just as easily be his view on what happens when people feel powerless. In other places he is much clearer that he doesn't want violence himself
    Semantics.
    He justifies violence by effectively saying the EU is directly responsible for any violence because if we don't 'control our borders' then 'violence is the next step'.

It's far more of a prediction, it's a justification and quasi call to action.

It's typical of the aggressive and intimidating campaign of the Brexiters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    i have no doubt whatsoever that we will see people blaming the left / islam somehow within the next few hours by some tsr users
    Considering that people have tried to blame criticism of Islam for radicalising Muslim extremists, I assume that they will also blame Islam for the radicalising of right-wing extremists.

ReputationRep:
    He's right. It probably will be. Racism is on the rise both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    You're actually delusional. You sound like one of those crazy, woo-woo religious types.

"It's far more of a prediction, it's a justification and quasi call to action.It's typical of the aggressive and intimidating campaign of the Brexiters.
    "

Wtf is this? It's none of those things at all. Getting yourself hyped up over nothing. Thinking the world's out to get you. Put you down. Make it your dog. You'll be crafting a pipe pistol yourself in no time and going off to kill farage no doubt...
    It's not a prediction. It's a mixture of a justification, a threat and a all to action.
    'If we don't close the borders there will be violence'.

But it's no surprise to see Nigel's fan boys out in force. I don't think the world's out to get me, that's Farage and UKIP who seem to think everything is an elitist conspiracy and stitch up against them.

Give your head a wobble you troll.

ReputationRep:
    This is not spam, I'm simply reposting a comment I made on another thread related to the Jo Cox murder.

Is there even any evidence Thomas Mair was targetting Jo Cox?

From what I understand, he was having some kind of fight with another person, Jo Cox intervened and she was attacked.

Also his neighbours and half-brother revealed he had no political affiliation or motive at all.

According to eye witnesses, he never shouted "Britain first".

This video is well worth the watch:

Of course RIP Jo Cox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    It's obvious that his motives were political, but trying to link it with UKIP is just wrong.
    It is obvious from what we know that his motives were not at all politically motivated. He was being treated for mental illness, and his neighbours claim that he never shared any view on the EU and that he was not political. How can you say that this attack was politically motivated? Where is your evidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anno007)
    It is obvious from what we know that his motives were not at all politically motivated. He was being treated for mental illness, and his neighbours claim that he never shared any view on the EU and that he was not political. How can you say that this attack was politically motivated? Where is your evidence?
    If you have the time, please do watch the video I linked , or there's a mp3/soundcloud copy of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    This is not spam, I'm simply reposting a comment I made on another thread related to the Jo Cox murder.

Is there even any evidence Thomas Mair was targetting Jo Cox?

From what I understand, he was having some kind of fight with another person, Jo Cox intervened and she was attacked.

Also his neighbours and half-brother revealed he had no political affiliation or motive at all.

According to eye witnesses, he never shouted "Britain first".

This video is well worth the watch:

Of course RIP Jo Cox.
    Oh dear. Thus sums you lot up.
    Your campaign has been violent, aggressive and intimidating and despite the tragic events of yesterday you show no sign of changing course.

To suggest that people are anything other than deeply upset and horrified by the murder, is outrageous and petty points scoring. You lot think everything is a conspiracy against you. Leave it out and let people pay their respects without trying to claim it's some 'remain stitch up'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    If you have the time, please do watch the video I linked , or there's a mp3/soundcloud copy of it
    Guaranteed that you will get non-argument emotional responses or InfoWars/Stefan ad hominem attacks. Even LiveLeakers are attacking Stefan.

ReputationRep:
    To suggest that people are anything other than deeply upset and horrified by the murder, is outrageous and petty points scoring. You lot think everything is a conspiracy against you. Leave it out and let people pay their respects without trying to claim it's some 'remain stitch up'.
    This is utterly false. People are so much more than upset. They are/have been churning out charged and unsubstantiated political rhetoric and false news reports.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.