Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realityspeaks)
    Do not hate me, but I really question whether for this referendum our current method of "democracy" was effective, or in fact appropriate. I have a few issues with it:

1) For such a long term decision, that will affect future generations and lives, not just a 4/5 yr period. How fair is it that a 92 yr old vote has the same weight as a 21 yr olds vote? The 21 yr old will live longer with the decision, it was significantly affect their prospects, their opportunities etc. Whilst, lets be honest, the 92yr old very likely doesn't have that long to live, and the vote will have little impact on their lives.
    I am not saying they shouldn't vote, but how can theirs possibly be equal to a 21 yr olds?
    What makes you think that that 21 year old knows more about how the world works than the 91 year old who's lived through it all?

2) Informed decision. As a medical student we are always learning about the importance of an "informed decision". A patient cannot consent to surgery for example, if they are not fully aware of the facts, the pro, the cons and the risk with opting in or opting out. You have to check do they understand, can they say it back to you?
    And yet with this referendum, was the electorate properly educated? Did they truly know the weight of their decision? How is it such a decision can be given to people without ensuring they know everything?
    Reading Daily Mail for a bit, does not equal informed.
    Whilst i can understand the notion power to the people, should such a decision really be given to so many ignorant (in terms of the facts)?
    In that case, you could say that every election and referendum up to now is invalid because people 'didn't know what they were voting for'. This is true of every single vote; there will always be uninformed people, on all sides of the debate. That is just a consequence of democracy, and even though they are uninformed, it is essential that they participate in politics to ensure faith in the political system.

3) Capacity. "the ability to use and understand info to make a decision, and communicate any decision made". Whilst on work experience there was an 87yr old with reduced capacity, he could speak etc, but never the less his capacity was reduced. He wasn't trusted to make the decision to consent to surgery, someone else had to make that decision for him. That wasn't done to spite him, that was done for his best interests, to safeguard him.
    And yet that 87yr old was eligible to vote?

How is it he cant be trusted with making a decision on his own health? But he trusted to vote on the future of this country?
    The government already has its own eligibility criteria for who can vote. I won't go into the specifics, but I'm not sure you're right in your fictional scenario, that a man under those conditions could vote. Even if he could, what you are proposing would invalidate every single vote up to date, same as before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    So 3 million is nothing? The difference between Leave and Remain was 1.3 million - was that nothing?

And 3 million is nearly a fifth, which is a pretty significant amount don't you think. Oh, and it's still rising.

3.5 million by tomorrow?
    If more people from the UK vote in this petition and it exceeds the Leave vote I would be for another referendum, fact of the matter is this has been spread among remain voters on the internet massively, everywhere I go on social media I see this petition.

From a political point of view this petition is pretty much just some signatures by annoyed people who lost the referendum lol, and will have zero effect.

ReputationRep:
    So 3 million is nothing? The difference between Leave and Remain was 1.3 million - was that nothing?

And 3 million is nearly a fifth, which is a pretty significant amount don't you think. Oh, and it's still rising.

3.5 million by tomorrow?
    So many of those signatures are from foreigners. I'll provide proof in a moment.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Apocrypha)
    If more people from the UK vote in this petition and it exceeds the Leave vote I would be for another referendum, fact of the matter is this has been spread among remain voters on the internet massively, everywhere I go on social media I see this petition.
    You're on

:five:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    So many of those signatures are from foreigners. The number that came from the GB is less than a million. I'll provide proof in a moment.
    I'll be waiting...

(If you are looking in pastebin, etc don't bother - it's wrong.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4186723)

ReputationRep:
    I'll be waiting...

(If you are looking in pastebin, etc don't bother - it's wrong.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4186723)
    Just make sure you email your local MP with your name and address and your reasons for signing the petition.

Keep on going.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Student1670)
    It's important to note that this petition was prepared before the vote on Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And by somebody in the leave camp.

ReputationRep:
    calling for a 2nd referendum is logically unsound. the uk decided to democratically leave the EU. you can't call for a second referendum because you don't like the result of the first referendum. what if the result of the second referendum is to leave the EU? lets have a third, fourth, fifth, nth referendum until we get to stay in the EU. absurd!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    One thing this petition does show is that if voting was electronic/internet based, younger people would turn out to vote in much larger numbers.

We have a governmental system using yesterday's methods to impose a solution from yesterday on the country.
    If you can't be arsed to walk to a polling station or fill in a postal vote you can't complain about the outcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    And by somebody in the leave camp.
    Source? (Hilarious if true)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Check this out:

Something strange is going on with this :lol: yesterday it was a million short, and now it's nearly a million too high...

ReputationRep:
    Source? (Hilarious if true)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/26/the-pe...ivist-5967021/

:rofl:

ReputationRep:

3.5 million by tomorrow?
    Whem 17.4mil voted out, then yes, it is nothing.
    All this shows is that 20%+ of my fellow remain voters don't understand basic democracy. It's embarrassing considering everyone in this camp would say we wouldn't have another referendun if it was 52:48 to remain.

ReputationRep:
    I am interested, this being a student website, if there is any correlation between asking for/not asking for a second referendum and asking/not asking for a remark of your A levels. Points of principle are being quoted and I was wondering if they held true across the board, i.e. being satisfied/not being satisfied with the first result you got.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe.. Look at my avi
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I am interested, this being a student website, if there is any correlation between asking for/not asking for a second referendum and asking/not asking for a remark of your A levels. Points of principle are being quoted and I was wondering if they held true across the board, i.e. being satisfied/not being satisfied with the first result you got.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Check this out:

Something strange is going on with this :lol: yesterday it was a million short, and now it's nearly a million too high...
    Seems ok at the moment

"signature_count":3100840,"creat ed_at":"2016-05-23T23:39:38.957Z","updated_at":"2016-06-26T10:46:34.590Z"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Seems ok at the moment

"signature_count":3100840,"creat ed_at":"2016-05-23T23:39:38.957Z","updated_at":"2016-06-26T10:46:34.590Z"
    I assume the server's just not used to so much traffic so it's not working properly :lol:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Fits in with Farage's pre-vote statement.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/...tion_is_being/

https://twitter.com/ElContador2000/s...95294063497216

http://pastebin.com/rgiiPbww

So thats how it got so many votes aha

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.