A Summer of Maths (ASoM) 2016

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex:)
    Or should I say the Sourier transform on a gunction using jmaginary numbers.
    Nice one xD

ReputationRep:
    Could someone give me a hint for how to solve this question without the fundamental theorem for finite abelian groups?

Let  G be a finite abelian group such that it contains a subgroup  H_{0} which is contained in every subgroup  H \not = (e) . Prove that  G is cyclic.

This is easy if I'm allowed to use the fact that G is the direct product of cyclic groups (with trivial intersections), as if we have more than 1 cyclic group in the product, we must have H0=(e) so G must be cyclic. But I am not allowed to use this theorem for the question. Prove a couple facts about the orders of G, H0 but not sure where to go from there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Could someone give me a hint for how to solve this question without the fundamental theorem for finite abelian groups?

Let  G be a finite abelian group such that it contains a subgroup  H_{0} which is contained in every subgroup  H \not = (e) . Prove that  G is cyclic.

This is easy if I'm allowed to use the fact that G is the direct product of cyclic groups (with trivial intersections), as if we have more than 1 cyclic group in the product, we must have H0=(e) so G must be cyclic. But I am not allowed to use this theorem for the question. Prove a couple facts about the orders of G, H0 but not sure where to go from there...
    Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Lagrange's theorem for groups may be useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Slice of Pi)
    Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Lagrange's theorem for groups may be useful
    lol yep Ive used this multiple times in my workings, not seen a solution free of FTFAG though. Probably the basis for every gt proof I've ever done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    is there a context?
    Sorry, I should've included some context haha. I'm going through the Cambridge notes on the first page (by Dexter Chua I think) and this is included in the Differenitial Equations part.
    If there exists a constant M > 0, for which there exists N > 0, such that
    n > N \quad \Rightarrow \quad |f(x)| < M|g(x)|,
    then we write f(x) = O(g(x)).

If for every \varepsilon > 0, there exists N > 0, such that
    n > N \quad \Rightarrow \quad |f(x)| < \varepsilon|g(x)|,
    then we write f(x) = o(g(x)).

The analogue to big-O and little-o is very similar to less than and strictly less than. Big-O gives an upper bound to the growth, but the function can still approach its Big-O function asymptotically. Little-o is much more strict.

There's other things like Omega, omega and Theta notation. A kinda rough intuition of them could be:
    o: f < g.
    O: f \leq g.
    \Theta: f = g.
    \Omega: f \geq g.
    \omega: f > g.
    Could you perhaps explain it in a less maths-y way? I come from a non-maths background (Physics), so I don't understand most of the notation that you have used

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone read Rudins 'principles of mathematical analysis'? How would it compare to burkill's 'A first course in mathematical analysis' ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by drandy76)
    Has anyone read Rudins 'principles of mathematical analysis'? How would it compare to burkill's 'A first course in mathematical analysis' ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Rudin's book (Baby Rudin) is really inappropriate for anyone who has no knowledge of real analysis already. The book is really terse and everything is left as an exercise for the reader. His treatment of multi-variable analysis is also not the best.

Never used Burkill's book. But I think Spivak's Calculus is really good for learning real analysis without knowledge of topology, and leads really well to his next book Calculus on Manifolds.

ReputationRep:
    Rudin's book (Baby Rudin) is really inappropriate for anyone who has no knowledge of real analysis already. The book is really terse and everything is left as an exercise for the reader. His treatment of multi-variable analysis is also not the best.

Never used Burkill's book. But I think Spivak's Calculus is really good for learning real analysis without knowledge of topology, and leads really well to his next book Calculus on Manifolds.
    Thanks! Ironically after posting this I realised I had Spivak's calculus as well, so i believe I'll use that instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Ironically after posting this I realised I had Spivak's calculus as well, so i believe I'll use that instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I endorse what Alex: said and add that if you want something as challenging as Baby Rudin, but with more explanations, then Apostol's "Mathematical Analysis" is very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    I endorse what Alex: said and add that if you want something as challenging as Baby Rudin, but with more explanations, then Apostol's "Mathematical Analysis" is very good.
    Thanks I'll look into it, by the way, why are you guys calling him Baby Rudin?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'll look into it, by the way, why are you guys calling him Baby Rudin?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're not, they're calling the book baby Rudin because there's a more advanced version of the book as well - so the first book is affectionately termed baby Rudin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    They're not, they're calling the book baby Rudin because there's a more advanced version of the book as well - so the first book is affectionately termed baby Rudin.
    oh i see thanks for clearing that up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good stuff - it'd be nice to get some analysis going in this thread, rather than being smothered in algebra. Analysis is nice and awesome, algebra is messy and unwieldy!

ReputationRep:
    Good stuff - it'd be nice to get some analysis going in this thread, rather than being smothered in algebra. Analysis is nice and awesome, algebra is messy and unwieldy!
    I shall be the hero this thread needs, muon and Pi's reign of terror ends here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone up for some cheeky dynamics and/or special relativity

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Literally never, gonna hire a ghost writer for that module

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Why do people still suggest Rudin anyway? As Alex says, it's*awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    It was more me finding the book and wondering if it was any good rather than a recommendation, at least I think so, there's s chance I might've gotten it from my Unis reading list

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    Said with true passion

It's one of those books that's most useful to those who have already covered the material and have developed their intuition. Even then, there are better choices these days, I think, especially in the form of all the free lecture notes dotted all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anyone wanna do some stats
    Spoiler:
    Show
    lol jk
    Spoiler:
    Show
    soz gregorius

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.