University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW97)
    Are you here just to try to scare everyone away? 😂
    To get everyone well prepared...........sort of.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    First thought on getting the NatSci/CompSci maths booklet - I'm basically half a mathmo, I don't need to do this!

After looking at it - wait, how do I factorise x^3 - 1? What's the factor theorem help
    Omg I spend a good while wondering how to do the x^3 one too XD Been too long since doing C1 smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NS1205)
    I'm doing Law but not at St Catharines. Really excited to start!
    Have you got an email from your college about work to do before you get there? I have to do 2 essays and i'm really nervous about it because i've never done law before!

(Original post by PhysicsIP2016)
    Omg I spend a good while wondering how to do the x^3 one too XD Been too long since doing C1 smh
    I got stuck on that too :/

There's harder questions coming as well

C0balt did you get your head around that last partial fractions? I just left it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    I got stuck on that too :/
    did you get your head around that last partial fractions? I just left it
    (x^2 -7)/(x^2 - x - 2)= (x^2-x-2-5+x)/(x^2-x-2) = 1 + (x-5)/(x^2-x-2) and then you do that second term normally

Are there any rules on what should be worn with the gown and what kind of formal clothes we might need in the first few day/weeks after arriving for things like matriculation, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    (x^2 -7)/(x^2 - x - 2)= (x^2-x-2-5+x)/(x^2-x-2) = 1 + (x-5)/(x^2-x-2) and then you do that second term normally
    yh thats great and all, but whats x??? thats not a number lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sayswho)
    Are there any rules on what should be worn with the gown and what kind of formal clothes we might need in the first few day/weeks after arriving for things like matriculation, etc?
    A suit with tie for boys and a smart dress for girls are most common. Some girls wear smart shirt with skirt/trousers, too. ( not for matriculation, though. Girls are usually expected to wear a smart dress at most colleges)
    And that's what you need as your formal clothes for quite a while, until May Balls, if you're going.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about your college (perhaps they are an uncivilised bunch of brutes who don't even wear gowns), but at mine, the best college, males have to wear a dark suit and tie. Not sure about females, but think it was just "appropriate attire".

Here was a picture of some random Cambridge undergrads at the wrong college (idk, it might be mine, in which case it is the right college) and wrong event

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    yh thats great and all, but whats x??? thats not a number lol
    I don’t know what you’ve been asked to do by your colleges, but I have a sneaking suspicion you might be doing the wrong booklet. That looks like the 2015 one. There’s an updated 2016 one here:
    https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/f...rkbook2016.pdf

Which I found from this page (a CompSci page):
    https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/freshers/

Sorry if I’ve missed something and that is actually the right one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy10663)
    I don’t know what you’ve been asked to do by your colleges, but I have a sneaking suspicion you might be doing the wrong booklet. That looks like the 2015 one. There’s an updated 2016 one here:

Trinity emailed that one and a 2015 'Mathematics Workbook' rather than 'Mathematics for the natural sciences'

(to the mathematics students at least, and both have a partial fractions section)

(Original post by vincrows)
    A suit with tie for boys and a smart dress for girls are most common. Some girls wear smart shirt with skirt/trousers, too. ( not for matriculation, though. Girls are usually expected to wear a smart dress at most colleges)
    And that's what you need as your formal clothes for quite a while, until May Balls, if you're going.
    Ah so something like a smart black dress would be okay then? That's great and makes things pretty straightforward. Thanks!

Don't know about your college (perhaps they are an uncivilised bunch of brutes who don't even wear gowns)
    I think you mean informal and progressive :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about your college (perhaps they are an uncivilised bunch of brutes who don't even wear gowns), but at mine, the best college, males have to wear a dark suit and tie. Not sure about females, but think it was just "appropriate attire".

Here's a picture of some random Cambridge undergrads at the wrong college (idk, it might be mine, in which case it is the right college)
    This picture is of graduation. Different dress code (more formal and strict rule) from normal formals.
    Can you delete the pic (not the post itself)mplease? It can be misleading.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Ah so something like a smart black dress would be okay then? That's great and makes things pretty straightforward. Thanks!

That's fine.
    Just go with a couple of smart dresses you already have. (Unless you're using going to Cambridge as an excuse to buy a new dress!)
    You'll be fine with them for the first term. Apart from matriculation dinner, you'll probably have a formal with your department when you start, probably a few with your club/society if you join one (depends on how many swaps they have) and Christmas dinner at your college just before you go home for holiday. This is a sort of basic formals most students usually have during the first term. Some people may have a few more on top of these, but usually not that many more.

ReputationRep:
    Says who?

ReputationRep:
    Trinity emailed that one and a 2015 'Mathematics Workbook' rather than 'Mathematics for the natural sciences'

(to the mathematics students at least, and both have a partial fractions section)
    Aha, that would explain things.

ReputationRep:
    Says who?
    Lol you left the pic but edited the comment

(Original post by paddy10663)

Thanks for posting that! My college hasn't sent me any work (yet) but I'm going to give the natsci booklet a go anyway.

(Original post by vincrows)
    That's fine.
    Just go with a couple of smart dresses you already have. (Unless you're using going to Cambridge as an excuse to buy a new dress!)
    You'll be fine with them for the first term. Apart from matriculation dinner, you'll probably have a formal with your department when you start, probably a few with your club/society if you join one (depends on how many swaps they have) and Christmas dinner at your college just before you go home for holiday. This is a sort of basic formals most students usually have during the first term. Some people may have a few more on top of these, but usually not that many more.
    I have a few things which will probably be suitable but, yeah, definitely using this an an excuse - it will be great not to spend most of my life in work uniform. Thank you again, that's really helpful.

Says who?
    I see what you did there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerlamps1335)
    Have you got an email from your college about work to do before you get there? I have to do 2 essays and i'm really nervous about it because i've never done law before!
    Nah I haven't. The only communication I've had from my college since being confirmed is just housekeeping stuff to do with my passport etc. What are the essay questions they gave you?

I'm actually not as nervous as I would be doing another subject, only because they don't assume prior knowledge of the law, which means everyone is on a fairly even playing field.

ReputationRep:
    any magdalene people got recommendations on locations - I'm thinking band 5 - it isn't significantly worse is it ?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.