UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

iheartvet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When you are going over the answers, do you understand what you are doing wrong in the verbal section?
badger stripes
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
Are you using those questions from the official UKCAT site? The short test ones are achievable - the full test ones are ridiculously hard. I got an A* in GCSE Maths and gave up with the questions from the QR section in the full test.

I can't believe there's less than 24 hours left till I sit it. It all seems so final. I haven't done my preparation today at all either. It'll hit me at night that I'll have to get up in the morning and do it tomorrow. I'm soooo scared. I'm more scared about the UKCAT now than I was before sitting S1 and I was on the verge of throwing up at the thought of what permutations/combination questions would come up.
i did the ones out of the book, it said to get 21 out of 30 was equivalent to a grade c pass at GCSEand i got 22 ...
Danielisew
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
I'm really sick of trying and getting rubbish scores. I just gave the Verbal Reasoning another go from the practise full-test specimen and got 19/44. I honestly don't know where I'm going wrong. I actually gave 37 questions a proper go and only guessed the last 7 with the minute I had left. I just don't know what to do now.
Don't worry.. I got exactly the same scores and ended up with 620 on verbal reasoning. Some people may remember I was absolutely terrified and so stressed before the exam but just do your best on as many as you can and leave a minute to guess the rest by reading the statement (not the paragraphs too).

Oh and I was even worse at Quantitative reasoning but got 640 on that Don't ask about the other sections.. There was a processing error in my test so I couldn't see half of some of the questions on the AR part and that blew me off track for the Decision too but they filed a report on my profile about what happened..

Good luck!
i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
I'm getting that feeling too. I'm so fed up of being so **** at QR and AR
I'm just going to tell myself that all I can do is try my best, and hope to god that it's good enough.
I’m going to tell that to myself too. Here’s to hoping! :unsure:

(Original post by x.beth.x)
Awww !MEna :hugs:
You're probably just getting stressed in anticipation for tommorrow and the looming prospect of AS results. I know myself when I'm trying to do practice papers the day before a test I always seem to get everything wrong. If I were you I'd just relax tonight and go to bed early, perhaps have a final flick through your UKCAT advice book if you have one. Don't mark yourself on any more tests because whatever happens you are either going to do well and get cocky or do badly and feel less confident. Remember half the battle with the UKCAT is staying calm so try not to let the pressure get to you.
Don't forget it will all be over in a few days. Good luck - I hope you do well
I hope so too. All my friends think I’m nuts for taking it two days before results day and so early on but I did the right thing booking it early. I don’t blame them for thinking that way though ha! I’m going to take your advice and get an early night tonight and not go through any more tests.

I just can’t wait till tomorrow and Thursday is over. Good luck to you too with your results this Thursday and your UKCAT! :hugs:

(Original post by iheartvet)
When you are going over the answers, do you understand what you are doing wrong in the verbal section?
Nope. The answers are in a .pdf format and when I open it is just lists it like 1) B, 2) A...etc. It doesn't help that you can't run the questions and answers at the same time. I don't really think going over the answers will help either because it's really based on your interpretation of the passage which will always change with different questions.

(Original post by Danielisew)
Don't worry.. I got exactly the same scores and ended up with 620 on verbal reasoning. Some people may remember I was absolutely terrified and so stressed before the exam but just do your best on as many as you can and leave a minute to guess the rest by reading the statement (not the paragraphs too).
Oh and I was even worse at Quantitative reasoning but got 640 on that Don't ask about the other sections.. There was a processing error in my test so I couldn't see half of some of the questions on the AR part and that blew me off track for the Decision too but they filed a report on my profile about what happened..
Good luck!
Ah that’s really encouraging to know. I just find it scary that I’m getting over half the answers wrong thinking I’ve got more right than wrong. I really hope I get a pleasant surprise when I finish it. Thanks for showing me some hope.
Jiffy
Report 10 years ago
For some weird reason I feel pretty calm about my ukcat tomorrow, and that's scaring me... but there's an underlying worry. I did a few tests today and getting ok scores...hopefully this is the case tomorrow. The really weird thing is that some questions have dodge answers that don't make sense (in the purple book), and this is confusing me sometimes. But, Im forcing myself to rellaaaxxx for the rest of the day (was doing some VR and AR practice).

Good luck to everyone whose taking the test tomorrow (including me ), and everyone who has theirs looming ahead.

oh, and btw, i've got another book I can recommend to you guys for practicing VR, QR and AR:
lotusx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
I'm really sick of trying and getting rubbish scores. I just gave the Verbal Reasoning another go from the practise full-test specimen and got 19/44. I honestly don't know where I'm going wrong. I actually gave 37 questions a proper go and only guessed the last 7 with the minute I had left. I just don't know what to do now.
i'm getting rubbish scores on my practice tests as well, so it's not just you. maybe it's just because we're all stressing out. my QR is going the same way as your VR, i think that i'm doing decently & then i mark them and it's like...grr.
guess the thing to do is turn up tomorrow & do our best. you're doing the BMAT, right?
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lotusx)
i'm getting rubbish scores on my practice tests as well, so it's not just you. maybe it's just because we're all stressing out. my QR is going the same way as your VR, i think that i'm doing decently & then i mark them and it's like...grr.
guess the thing to do is turn up tomorrow & do our best. you're doing the BMAT, right?
Yeah I'll be doing the BMAT in November. I'd rather apply to 1 BMAT (UCL) and 3 UKCAT institutes (KCL, Manchester, pending) but it really depends on what happens tomorrow. I really hope it goes well for everyone sitting the UKCAT tomorrow and for those sitting it later too.

This will probably be my last post before I get back tomorrow so in advance;

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! :o:
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good luck tomorrow !Mena. Let us know how you find it. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This will be my last post also before I leave for my UKCAT tomorrow
Good luck to those doing it tomorrow and in the near future! I hope it goes well for you all.
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol you guys sound as if you're going on a space mission. but good luck...i know you'll all do well.
OriginofSymmetry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Quick question, why are there so many people doing it tomorrow?
lotusx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
Quick question, why are there so many people doing it tomorrow?
not too late, not too early. before results day, before we go back to school [so it's done] and in my case, i wanted to do it so that if anything happens i have time to change my choices.
good luck to everyone else doing it tomorrow
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
To get it out the way before results probably and they're dead keen! Good luck everyone taking it tomorrow.
jenifaar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
good luck guys. seriously, don't stress about it!! this time tomorrow, it will be over, and you'll probably have the feeling of wondering why you ever panicked! hope it goes well for all of you taking it, just keep calm and do your best....it's all you can do at the end of the day!
magichearts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
good luck to everyone taking it tomorrow! i think the best way to do well on the UKCAT is to stay calm. seriously nerves will hinder your performance and you won't do as well. before you know it the exam will be over!
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you guys don't even need me to wish you luck - i know y'all will ace the test!
thats how confident i am!
Jiffy
Report 10 years ago
thanks guys, its nearly time...all im doing is just reading through the instructions of the ukcat exams to save time in the real thing
Jiffy
Report 10 years ago
big relief...I've finished my UKCAT and don't have to worry about it for the rest of the year... and a vbig thankyou to everyone whose been giving me advice and support...thanks!...people are right about it, you really shouldn't worry about the whole exam...

My Scores:

VR: 720
QR: 760
AR: 720
DA: 690

Average: 722.5

does anyone know how good these scores are, and whether the uni's i'm applying to would like them (KCL, and st. georges)

cheers once again!

Jiffy
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well done! That's really good, you must be so pleased. You're consistent with all the sections as well, so that's even better. So jealous :p:

How did you find the timings? Did you have to just blindly guess any? And how did you feel it went?

I'm sure any uni will love that score. Congrats again
Princess_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jiffy)
big relief...I've finished my UKCAT and don't have to worry about it for the rest of the year... and a vbig thankyou to everyone whose been giving me advice and support...thanks!...people are right about it, you really shouldn't worry about the whole exam...

My Scores:

VR: 720
QR: 760
AR: 720
DA: 690

Average: 722.5

does anyone know how good these scores are, and whether the uni's i'm applying to would like them (KCL, and st. georges)

cheers once again!

Jiffy
Wow. Well done!

Yeah I'm sure that score is great for any uni. Most have the cut off point at about 650ish or around that. You got above average so well done
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.83%
No - but I will (101)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.69%

Watched Threads