Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HELP PLEASE!!!

i wanna do a BA in Business Economics but i didnt do very well in AS... i got a
    B in economics ( which is the highest in my school, all thanx to this pathetic teacher we had, but we changed the teacher so i hope to do well when i re-give it in january 2010)

B in accounting
    B in math (statistics)
    C in geography
    C in english language

my predicted grades are probably going to be ABB or AAB
    i really want to go to exeter university but it ranks 6 for economics so the chances of me getting through seems very bleak

the universities that do offer this course are
    university of exeter
    leeds
    nottingham
    birmingham
    manchester
    cardiff
    liverpool
    reading
    lancaster
    bristol

but they are all really good universities... so i dont think i stand a chance....

paulwhy,can you please tell me where i should apply to and if you could suggest any other universities that might take me... !!!

please help me! im in a fix!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajchahal18)
    Hi, sorry but I've got another one of those econ uni thread.
    I just want some advice from people, I don't know if I'm aiming too high for my choices.

GCSE's: 6 A*, 5A's
    AS: AAAA in maths, chemistry, spanish and economics
    A2: maths, economics and spanish (predicted A*A*A - realistically think I'll get A*AA)

I'm hoping to apply to
    Cambridge
    Warwick
    Nottingham

then I can't decide which 2 out of LSE, UCL, Bath, B'ham and Exeter. Both Exeter and Bath are AAA/AAB and b'ham is AAB. I'm not sure if i should apply to one of those and either LSE/UCL. I don't think my GCSE's are 'good enough' for LSE and I am bit worried just in case I don't get an A* in maths (which UCL want).

any advice will be appreciated, thanks
    BY top 11 standards:
    Weaknesses
    i) 6 GCSE A*s (e.g. LSE prefer 9)
    ii) Only 4 AS-levels
    iii) Only 3 A-levels
    iv) No FM

Neutral
    i)Maths A-level
    ii)Economics A-level

Strengths
    i)2 A* predictions.

Firstly with AA in Maths and Economics you are safe outside the top 11 (e.g. Exeter and Birmingham). Inside the top 11 harder so good to have atleast 1 safe uni outside the top 11. Especially hard inside the top 5. So suggest:
    2/3 Top 5 e.g. Cambridge, Warwick, LSE/UCL.
    2/1 TAELT 6-11 e.g. Notts, Bath
    1 Outside top 11 e.g. Birmingham

Cambridge good choice as they interview. Warwick are as a good choice as they seem less focused on GCSEs than LSE or UCL. As you say 6 is a little low so maybe have one of LSE and UCL.

Notts will probably be less hard than they were by the end of the last cycle and Bath will like that you have both Maths and Economics.

Finally Birmingham is a good safety uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AY.25)
    HELP PLEASE!!!

i wanna do a BA in Business Economics but i didnt do very well in AS... i got a
    B in economics ( which is the highest in my school, all thanx to this pathetic teacher we had, but we changed the teacher so i hope to do well when i re-give it in january 2010)

B in accounting
    B in math (statistics)
    C in geography
    C in english language

my predicted grades are probably going to be ABB or AAB
    i really want to go to exeter university but it ranks 6 for economics so the chances of me getting through seems very bleak

the universities that do offer this course are
    university of exeter
    leeds
    nottingham
    birmingham
    manchester
    cardiff
    liverpool
    reading
    lancaster
    bristol

but they are all really good universities... so i dont think i stand a chance....

paulwhy,can you please tell me where i should apply to and if you could suggest any other universities that might take me... !!!

please help me! im in a fix!!
    What grades did you get at GCSE?
    and why do you want to do business economics?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, as you can tell, this is my first post on TSR so if i'm not meant to start a thread like this or whatever i'll delete it. I've browsed this forum for a few days and read the posting guide so I think this is ok but if not i'm sorry.

Anyway, i've been looking at prospective unis ever since I got my AS results but it seems the more I look the more indecisive I get, so any help would be appreciated.

Honestly I have very little preference for universities and I'm basically looking to go to the best one I can feasibly get into. I think going to a London one would be fantastic as it would help me get a job in the financial services industry but I don't think I've got that great a chance of getting into UCL/LSE.

GCSEs: 4A*s(music, eng lit, PE, science), 5As(eng lang, history, maths, science, IT), 1B(spanish) and a U in additional maths, which I don't think I should disclose.

As levels: 4As; econ (200/200), maths (284/300), politics (175/200), history (165/200). and a C in general studies which i'm not sure I should disclose either.

I don't know what my predicted grades are going to be because no one seems to know if we can be predicted A*s yet, but if we can i'm definitely going to be predicted A* in maths and econ and probably in politics too.

I think my personal statement is pretty good (though I guess everyone thinks that) and I should get very good references too.

What spread of universities should I be applying too? I'm applying for straight economics at all places and have no real preferences beside being in England.

I'm thinking off -

Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Exeter, Leeds

Or something similar to that. My thinking is that though my grades aren't spectacular, I think i can be fairly confident in getting an offer from a non top-11 uni so I can be very aggressive with the rest of my picks.

If applying to the first 3 combined overestimating my chances of receiving an offer?

Erm I don't really understand?

You clearly know that your grades are brilliant, or else you wouldn't be expecting to be predicted A*s and you wouldn't have put your module grades on here. Not that I mind all that much, as you didn't appear to be actively boasting...

So I'm wondering why you think you wouldn't get into UCL or LSE? Especially when you clearly feel you might stand a chance at Cambridge?

Anyway, this probably sounds a lot more evil than I mean it to, I'm just confused about your line of thinking?

Having said that, I know nothing about applying for economics, nor economics itself, so maybe I shouldn't be replying.

Nonetheless, I think your chosen unis are a good spread, but remember that for the top unis, your personal statement/interview performance will count for a lot, so don't just expect to get in because of your grades, but then don't aim too low either...

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSDas)
    Hi, as you can tell, this is my first post on TSR so if i'm not meant to start a thread like this or whatever i'll delete it. I've browsed this forum for a few days and read the posting guide so I think this is ok but if not i'm sorry.

Anyway, i've been looking at prospective unis ever since I got my AS results but it seems the more I look the more indecisive I get, so any help would be appreciated.

Honestly I have very little preference for universities and I'm basically looking to go to the best one I can feasibly get into. I think going to a London one would be fantastic as it would help me get a job in the financial services industry but I don't think I've got that great a chance of getting into UCL/LSE.

GCSEs: 4A*s(music, eng lit, PE, science), 5As(eng lang, history, maths, science, IT), 1B(spanish) and a U in additional maths, which I don't think I should disclose.

As levels: 4As; econ (200/200), maths (284/300), politics (175/200), history (165/200). and a C in general studies which i'm not sure I should disclose either.

I don't know what my predicted grades are going to be because no one seems to know if we can be predicted A*s yet, but if we can i'm definitely going to be predicted A* in maths and econ and probably in politics too.

I think my personal statement is pretty good (though I guess everyone thinks that) and I should get very good references too.

What spread of universities should I be applying too? I'm applying for straight economics at all places and have no real preferences beside being in England.

I'm thinking off -

Or something similar to that. My thinking is that though my grades aren't spectacular, I think i can be fairly confident in getting an offer from a non top-11 uni so I can be very aggressive with the rest of my picks.

If applying to the first 3 combined overestimating my chances of receiving an offer?
    What subjects are you taking to A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSDas)
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'm thinking off -

First off, why do you think only a university in London will get you into the financial services sector?

Second, with those GCSEs, you will find it hard to get an offer from UCL/LSE and Nottingham, along with possibly Warwick and Bristol too. But with all A* predictions for A Level and good UMS scores, Oxbridge is definitely worth applying to, as well as anywhere apart from UCL, LSE and Nottingham (based purely on your GCSE record).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintage_007)
    Erm I don't really understand?

You clearly know that your grades are brilliant, or else you wouldn't be expecting to be predicted A*s and you wouldn't have put your module grades on here. Not that I mind all that much, as you didn't appear to be actively boasting...

So I'm wondering why you think you wouldn't get into UCL or LSE? Especially when you clearly feel you might stand a chance at Cambridge?

Anyway, this probably sounds a lot more evil than I mean it to, I'm just confused about your line of thinking?

Having said that, I know nothing about applying for economics, nor economics itself, so maybe I shouldn't be replying.

Nonetheless, I think your chosen unis are a good spread, but remember that for the top unis, your personal statement/interview performance will count for a lot, so don't just expect to get in because of your grades, but then don't aim too low either...

Good luck x
    heh, i struggle to understand my own line of thinking too sometimes, but it's basically what SilentChaos said. From what i've read I estimate that I probably have a better chance of an offer from Cambridge where I can get an interview as opposed to UCL/LSE/Nottingham which would probably reject me on the basis of my GCSE grades. (not that I think I have a >10% chance of getting into either)

Paulwhy: I'm taking Politics, Economics and Maths at A2.

Chaos: Being the most prominent financial city in Europe I would say that living/working there(and going to UCL/LSE) would give me a noticeable edge in getting into the industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSDas)

I'm thinking off -

Weaknesses
    i) 4 GCSE A*s
    ii) 4 AS-levels
    iii) 3 A-levels

Neutral
    i) Maths grade A
    ii) Economics grade A

Your grades are good but then so are those of lots of other Economics applicants to top 11 unis. So good to have a backup outside the top 11. Your Maths grades are solid for unis outside the top 11. So if you know your favourite uni outside the top 11 then you need only one uni outside the top 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    What grades did you get at GCSE?
    and why do you want to do business economics?
    i didnt give GCSE i gave the indian equivalent the ICSE board and got an overall 90%.my subjects being-- eng lit, eng lang, math, business studies, hist ,geog, regional language and home science.

umm... why i want to do business economics?? umm ... because i sort of like economics as a subject and i want to work in a bank or an MNC later... but i do not want to do mathematics sooo i chose a BA in business economics instead of the BSc(which has more of the mathematics).....

do you have any other suggestions about any other course? :confused: ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AY.25)
    i didnt give GCSE i gave the indian equivalent the ICSE board and got an overall 90%.my subjects being-- eng lit, eng lang, math, business studies, hist ,geog, regional language and home science.

umm... why i want to do business economics?? umm ... because i sort of like economics as a subject and i want to work in a bank or an MNC later... but i do not want to do mathematics sooo i chose a BA in business economics instead of the BSc(which has more of the mathematics).....

do you have any other suggestions about any other course? :confused: ??
    How come there is a such a drop from your ICSE marks to your AS grades?

anywhere apart from UCL, LSE and Nottingham (based purely on your GCSE record).
    Weaknesses
    i) 4 GCSE A*s
    I don't understand this thinking behind UCL not letting the OP in with his GCSE grades? Is it just 'cause he's taking Economics?

'Cause I got 2 A8s, 3 As, 4 Bs and 2 Cs at GCSE, AAAB at AS and still got an offer from UCL, although for Linguistics and not for Econ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSDas)
    Chaos: Being the most prominent financial city in Europe I would say that living/working there(and going to UCL/LSE) would give me a noticeable edge in getting into the industry.
    I assumed that by London, you meant any university in London would give you an advantage, when in fact only UCL and LSE would.

And you can always do a post grad degree in London to help you get into industry, after an Economics degree from Oxbridge, Warwick, Notts or another highly reputable university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I assumed that by London, you meant any university in London would give you an advantage, when in fact only UCL and LSE would.

And you can always do a post grad degree in London to help you get into industry, after an Economics degree from Oxbridge, Warwick, Notts or another highly reputable university.
    That's true as I am looking to do a postgrad course.

Vintage: In economics at least, UCL and LSE (and Nottingham/Durham) appear to take your GCSE grades as a fairly significant factor (relative to other Unis) in deciding offers, and given that last year people were being turned down from Nottingham because they didn't have 8A*s my GCSE grades are a pretty big weakness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSDas)
    That's true as I am looking to do a postgrad course.

Vintage: In economics at least, UCL and LSE (and Nottingham/Durham) appear to take your GCSE grades as a fairly significant factor (relative to other Unis) in deciding offers, and given that last year people were being turned down from Nottingham because they didn't have 8A*s my GCSE grades are a pretty big weakness.
    That's very true - I've recently become a PS helper and I saw someone who's a re-applicant having previously been rejected from Notts, Warwick, UCL, Bristol and Durham. His GCSEs were AAAAABBBBBB, so worse than yours, but you get the idea. This was despite 5A predictions in Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry and History (no FM).

He's applying again to Warwick, Bristol and UCL, along with Oxbridge and York. I had to tell him he's obviously going to get rejected from the first three. People neglect the importance of GCSEs when applying to some of these universities for Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    How come there is a such a drop from your ICSE marks to your AS grades?
    ummm...actually .... i was short of an A in Accounting by 10 marks.... and in economics by 6 marks ,grade B was the highest in my school... our teacher was really bad, we got her changed, im regiving eco unit 1 and 3 in jan.... i wasnt expecting such bad results i expected an AAB...but i dont know... maybe i didnt work hard enough or its just my luck!...

im regiving eco unit 1 and 3 and geog unit 2 in jan.... i hope it ll get my grades up... but my university application will be based on these grades.... so.. i have to chose my universities according to this grade...

please tell my where i should apply ??

ReputationRep:
    It surprised me a ton when I realised it. Like when I actually did my GCSEs I didn't think about university at all. If I knew they were as important as they are I would have comfortably got 6/7+ A*s.

Given that, the main difficulty I'm having right now is deciding my third/fourth choice.

I'm pretty sure about applying for Cambridge/Warwick as I don't really lose anything by applying and I'd be absolutely ecstatic to go there. My 5th choice also is pretty much Leeds as I think it's very unlikely I won't get an offer and I would be very happy studying there.

The 3rd/4th place spots get a bit tricky now. As I see it, I can go two ways.

In the first case, I apply for two ridiculously competitive courses (Durham,Nottingham,Bristol,Bath, St Andrews). The pluses to this are that it gives me a higher chance of getting into a great university and if I fail all four I still have Leeds as a backup. However it does give me a slightly polarized application between ridiculously good unis and Leeds, missing out the chance of getting an offer from the mid levels like York/Exeter.

My other option is to apply for one RC course and one of Exeter,York,Southampton,Birmingh am. This gives me a very balanced application that i'm pretty safe with but doesn't maximise my chances of going to a top 11 uni.

My questions now become; 1) Which two RC courses do I have the best chance of getting offers from?
    and
    2)Is it possible for me to use Exeter/York/Southampton/Birmingham as a backup uni and apply for four of the top 11? (As Paulwhy suggested) Getting no offers would really suck for me, but i'm also really intent on getting into the best uni I can and picking four top 11s would help with that.

I know this is long-winded, but it a helps me a lot to write all my thoughts down and work out what my options are. And thanks for all the replies so far.

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry to sort of hijack your thread, but there are so many threads out there i didnt want to start another we are soft of in the same situation.

My GCSEs are 6A* and 5As ( which after reading this forum make me feel they arnt good enough)
    My AS are Maths (A) Economics (A) Politics (A) Physics (A)
    My predictions are Maths (A*) Economics (A) Politics (A)

My choices are 1) LSE 2) UCL 3) Notts 4)Probably Exeter 5) birmingham

Are these realistic?? Please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AY.25)
    ummm...actually .... i was short of an A in Accounting by 10 marks.... and in economics by 6 marks ,grade B was the highest in my school... our teacher was really bad, we got her changed, im regiving eco unit 1 and 3 in jan.... i wasnt expecting such bad results i expected an AAB...but i dont know... maybe i didnt work hard enough or its just my luck!...

im regiving eco unit 1 and 3 and geog unit 2 in jan.... i hope it ll get my grades up... but my university application will be based on these grades.... so.. i have to chose my universities according to this grade...
    And what happened in maths?

(Original post by AY.25)
    please tell my where i should apply ??
    Not sure yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeevesTSR)
    Hey sorry to sort of hijack your thread, but there are so many threads out there i didnt want to start another we are soft of in the same situation.

My GCSEs are 6A* and 5As ( which after reading this forum make me feel they arnt good enough)
    My AS are Maths (A) Economics (A) Politics (A) Physics (A)
    My predictions are Maths (A*) Economics (A) Politics (A)

My choices are 1) LSE 2) UCL 3) Notts 4)Probably Exeter 5) birmingham

Are these realistic?? Please help
    Do start your own thread: you are worth it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2015

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.