Maths Uni Chat Watch

Glutamic Acid
Badges: 14
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ForGreatJustice)
To any cambridge maths friends on here, how many / what courses are you doing this term? And how are you finding it?

I'm having a massive nightmare workwise at the moment, doing 6 courses, only interested in 3, but I need some questions to answer in the exams. I'm not doing GRM or complex analysis
Just 3 (well, 4) courses (oh dear, the "c" button on my laptop stopped working): geometry, complex analysis and statistics [GRM done]. It's fantastic: I have the half the work of last term, so I'm working twice as hard. I'm hoping to get CATAM done during term, and learn the 'easier' of electromagnetism and fluids. Oh, yeah, and met top. Really enjoying statistics, complex analysis is good and geometry. From what I've heard, I'm satisfied I didn't choose numerical analysis.
harr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ForGreatJustice)
I guess this is reassuring, the problem I found last year was that I was only good at like, half the courses, and again this year it's pretty much the same, the courses i'm good at being applied/physics courses, and those also being the only ones which interest me! I guess i'll just see how things go, might drop geometry for my sanity
The third Geometry sheet has plenty of tedious calculations if applied's your thing. (Though you can often get around them. Using the definition of curvature in 3F is pretty messy, but you could get full marks in a couple of lines with symmetry.) It's probably useful for some more advanced applied courses too (General Relativity?).

On the other hand, six is quite a lot of courses. I'm not particularly convinced that doing courses you aren't any good at is of much use either. Given all the time I spent doing Methods, Fluids and QM, I don't think 10 marks was a very good return.
ambience
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SimonM)
Yeah, supervised in them both.
My brother's limiting himself to studying 4 courses at any one time, but he studies whole courses in the vacations, including all questions on the example sheets. A course takes him about 10 days, working all the hours God sends. Then he persuades his DOS to arrange for supervisions the following term.

But he told me he got the feeling the supervisions would be more likely to be provided in terms the courses are being lectured in. E.g. his DOS would get narky if he wanted supervisions in the Lent term for courses only lectured in Michaelmas. His DOS can't get his head round the idea that getting supervised in 7 courses simultaneously doesn't mean he's really taking 7 courses simultaneously. Needless to say, this isn't Trinity!

(Original post by SimonM)
There's a guy in my year who's only been taking Part III courses since he arrived, so not that impressive in the grand scheme of things.
Wow - if he's fast at doing exam questions, the number of Part II tripos questions he'll be able to handle should be huge...

ambience
Gesar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I did optimisation, Markov Chains and Statistics. Total marks: 0.
meatball893
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Piecewise)
*Subscribes to the thread...*

:ditto:
assmaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh dear, heavy one last night. It was a radio exec social, and the girls were telling guys various stories about getting hit on by drunken creepy men, all the guys were doubting this happened, and then... it happened. Three times in one night. And now I log into Facebook to see someone posted "Official **** magnet" on my wall. ARGH!? My sister can see that!
At one point, they were trying to get me to do the splits in the middle of Klute. No, just no.
Meteorshower
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Started new courses. Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics is pretty sweet
Slumpy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by assmaster)
Oh dear, heavy one last night. It was a radio exec social, and the girls were telling guys various stories about getting hit on by drunken creepy men, all the guys were doubting this happened, and then... it happened. Three times in one night. And now I log into Facebook to see someone posted "Official **** magnet" on my wall. ARGH!? My sister can see that!
At one point, they were trying to get me to do the splits in the middle of Klute. No, just no.
I still need to hit up klute before my friend graduates. Is it as bad as all that?
meatball893
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Today I had the last lecture in Linear Algebra this term from Peter Neumann. He's such a good lecturer...
We're about to start Groups, Rings and Fields; hopefully it will be as good
Cass999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi
Can any Part 11 Maths people give me some idea of what the Part 11 Catam projects are like.

I've obviously done the first two for IB, are the Part II ones likely to take the same amount of time? (I hadn't done any programming before Catam).

Is it possible to do them over the summer to get them out of the way or are the lecture courses needed. I know it depends on preferences etc, but are there any you would recommend or avoid?

Many thanks
Gesar
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You need to know the material. But, you can learn the lecture courses over the summer as well!

And so far, imo, they're weird. Some are ridiculously difficult, some are really easy.
boromir9111
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Meteorshower)
Started new courses. Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics is pretty sweet
That sounds so sweet......I don't understand Jacobian and why we use it
harr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Cass999)
Is it possible to do them over the summer to get them out of the way or are the lecture courses needed.
Quite a few of them can be done with IB knowledge or even IA knowledge. They say at the top.

I can't answer your other questions since I haven't done any yet.
ambience
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How easy is it at Cambridge to get supervised for a course 'above' the year you're in, in a term when it's not being lectured? Does it depend on college? How often does it happen?

ambie
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by boromir9111)
That sounds so sweet......I don't understand Jacobian and why we use it
Yeah, although at the moment i'm trying to prove that the shortest path between two points on a plane is a straight line :p:
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Yeah, although at the moment i'm trying to prove that the shortest path between two points on a plane is a straight line :p:
That's easy. You just use the triangle equality with induction.
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
That's easy. You just use the triangle equality with induction.
We have to do it using the principle of least action.
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic

You mean this?
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why is group theory such a pain in the arse? I've never had such a difficulty studying for an area of maths...

Time to get some books with questions and answers to see what the hell is going on. Damn incompetent lecturer.
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
Why is group theory such a pain in the arse? I've never had such a difficulty studying for an area of maths...

Time to get some books with questions and answers to see what the hell is going on. Damn incompetent lecturer.
:yes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads