Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Do the uni actually count every day? Unless you miss a huge chunk, there's nothing much to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, we have to inform the uni when we're absent from school and we keep an attendance sheet. It's all pretty strict.

(Original post by Airfairy)
    Yeah, thanks.

We finish quite early. Middle of June, so there's loads of time to catch up on days.

Extra days have been mentioned - a resit has not. They told me that if I look like I'm meeting the standards I may not have to make up the extra days, but I did have two weeks off, so I am expecting to have to add on at least a week.
    Ah, we don't finish till end of first week in July. That's good that you don't need to catch up!

ReputationRep:
    With regards to the 120 day legal requirement, I'm a little confused because my uni told me we were allowed 10 days off without having to make it up, yet I just counted school placement days on my calendar and we have 120 school placement days... so I don't know where they have got the 10 days from. They would need to have 130 for that :/
    Do you have any part days/training days in a school when you're at uni? If so, those count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Do you have any part days/training days in a school when you're at uni? If so, those count.
    Well we have 'school enrichment days' which are supposed to be in a school, but we had five of those days about a month ago and we didn't spend any in a school because our uni tutor couldn't arrange it. So I don't know. I'll probably send an e-mail. It would just be nice to know when my actual finish date is!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else in Y6 for their final placement? I am about to start mine after Easter, and I can imagine it is going to involve a lot of prepping for SATS, and then I am pretty sure they will be winding down for the last half term. I am wondering how much of a 'normal' timetable I will be following.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adastraz)
    Is anyone else in Y6 for their final placement? I am about to start mine after Easter, and I can imagine it is going to involve a lot of prepping for SATS, and then I am pretty sure they will be winding down for the last half term. I am wondering how much of a 'normal' timetable I will be following.
    One of my friends on the course was there, in quite a challenging class too. There were SATs, plays, long projects, trips, all sorts!

I know what you mean about it not being a normal timetable but tbh I feel like the whole of school doesn't have a normal timetable. There's always something or other that comes up to stop it being so. Assemblies, Ofsted, phonics checks, SATs, trips, end of year projects and celebrations, Christmas, Easter, the disco... Keeps it interesting :P

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lupuccho)
    thank you again,

I am thinking about putting my research question as

Does self assessment increases pupils engagement and motivation towards the topic?

I will do the pre-survey about their motivation and engagement in lesson.

Then introduce self assessment in the classroom for 2 weeks.

And finally after 2 weeks I will carry out the post survey looking at their motivation and engagement in the lesson.

Do you think this will be OK? I have never done this kind of research before so really worried about this assignment.
    That sounds good to me, coming from a not secondary maths perspective though!

My main thing would be make sure you have some reading. It would suck to do it and then find afterwards it's impossible to do the write up well due to lack of literature. I'm sure there will be plenty on that topic, just double check beforehand.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well we have 'school enrichment days' which are supposed to be in a school, but we had five of those days about a month ago and we didn't spend any in a school because our uni tutor couldn't arrange it. So I don't know. I'll probably send an e-mail. It would just be nice to know when my actual finish date is!
    I imagine as that wasn't down to your own fault and you actually covered some stuff there, then they will be signed off as school days.

We had 8 days of enhanced studies and we didn't have to be in for all those days as long as the school signed us off and we could prove we had been working during those days.
    I'd send an email anyway, AFAIK, for us, we're allowed to make up the days at the end as long as it's no more than 15 days - more than 15 and we need to resit a placement.

We finish in the last week of June so luckily we have a good few weeksto make up the time if needed.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lupuccho)
    thank you again,

I am thinking about putting my research question as

Does self assessment increases pupils engagement and motivation towards the topic?

I will do the pre-survey about their motivation and engagement in lesson.

Then introduce self assessment in the classroom for 2 weeks.

And finally after 2 weeks I will carry out the post survey looking at their motivation and engagement in the lesson.

Do you think this will be OK? I have never done this kind of research before so really worried about this assignment.
    That sounds fine, and there'll be plenty of literature for you to use to support your arguments as well (both general and mathematics related). My only concern would be in measuring how things change, but pupil interviews sounds like it could be a good way to go. Are you expecting self-assessment to have an effect, though? I don't tend to find that it has affecting anything in either my science or mathematics classes? Instead, I find peer assessment much more useful in improving attainment, but still not really engagement. Just something to think about, perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that teachers aren't even allowed days off for funerals. Is this true? My nan is in hospital and the doctors said they don't think she is going to pull through. Do I just ask for a day off for a funeral? I'm going - that is non-negotiable, but wondering how to ask.
    Sorry to hear this Airfairy. My Nan passed away the week before I started at my school so I had to email the Head to ask for a day off before I'd even met her. She was absolutely lovely though and I had the day off without any problems at all. I'd be really shocked if a school didn't allow you time off.

ReputationRep:
    Do you start your supporting statement with Dear Mr/Ms/Mrs *Headteacher's surname*? Sorry I know its a silly question, this is because I'm about to send off my application form and starting to get a bit nervous :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    Do you start your supporting statement with Dear Mr/Ms/Mrs *Headteacher's surname*? Sorry I know its a silly question, this is because I'm about to send off my application form and starting to get a bit nervous :s
    It depends - are they asking for a supporting letter, a covering letter? If they're asking for a letter then address it to the head. If it's just a statement as well as a cover letter, then I wouldn't address it but if they're not asking for a cover letter also, I'd address it to the head...

When I applied for my job I used Mr XXX - the headteachers surname

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    It depends - are they asking for a supporting letter, a covering letter? If they're asking for a letter then address it to the head. If it's just a statement as well as a cover letter, then I wouldn't address it but if they're not asking for a cover letter also, I'd address it to the head...

When I applied for my job I used Mr XXX - the headteachers surname
    They are asking for a supporting statement only, does that mean I should not address it to the head?

ReputationRep:
    They are asking for a supporting statement only, does that mean I should not address it to the head?
    Are they asking for it within the application itself or on a separate piece of paper?

If it's on a separate piece of paper, I'd address it to the head

ReputationRep:
    Are they asking for it within the application itself or on a separate piece of paper?

If it's on a separate piece of paper, I'd address it to the head
    The supporting statement is attached within the application form

ReputationRep:
    I would normally not address the head within the application, but I'd attach a cover letter if it is like this, even if they don't specifically ask for one. Then I would address the head in that.

ReputationRep:
    Then no address.

ReputationRep:
    I would normally not address the head within the application, but I'd attach a cover letter if it is like this, even if they don't specifically ask for one. Then I would address the head in that.
    This.

The box in the application form is like a uni personal statement. You launch straight in to it.

Always include a cover letter with an application.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellylaugh)
    Sorry to hear this Airfairy. My Nan passed away the week before I started at my school so I had to email the Head to ask for a day off before I'd even met her. She was absolutely lovely though and I had the day off without any problems at all. I'd be really shocked if a school didn't allow you time off.
    Yeah, you're right. She is still pushing through, so I have hope, but the doctors told us not to get too hopeful (sometimes it really seems like they are trying to put a downer on things :lol: ).

I have sooooo much work to be doing for next week but I just can't concentrate at all.

ReputationRep:
    Being on holiday makes me miss my degree. I wish I had done an MA before doing the PGCE as now I doubt I'll get the chance to do one for a while.

I'm incredibly glad though that this is only the first week of the holidays and that I've still got another week before I need to consider doing any work.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Long time lurker, first time poster. I've worked in a primary school as a classroom assistant for five years now and I've always found this thread very useful.

Being on holiday makes me miss my degree. I wish I had done an MA before doing the PGCE as now I doubt I'll get the chance to do one for a while.

I'm incredibly glad though that this is only the first week of the holidays and that I've still got another week before I need to consider doing any work.

With regard to the above, have you considered doing a Masters part time and long distance or via the OU? I know someone who was teaching full time in a secondary school while studying part time for a PhD. It is doable and if you're serious about it, it's worth looking into.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.