Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    Anyone taking the dreaded thing this week?

I'm thursday and extra scared now. literally about 2 days to revise
    Got mine on wednesday and the mocks are scaring me

ReputationRep:
    is AR the same level of difficulty as its on medify?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamin96)
    I've read several times here that the mocks are harder than the actual test. Particularly for AR and QR.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    I've read several times here that the mocks are harder than the actual test. Particularly for AR and QR.*
    I've done the medify mocks and I kept getting around 650 avg not happy with that but it did teach me to keep calm and flag my questions.

ReputationRep:
    Also have you done the official UKCAT mocks? The calculator keeps opening up in a new tab even when I was on full screen! Tried closing it and accidentally closed the whole mock. Hope that doesn't happen in the real thing

ReputationRep:
    Also have you done the official UKCAT mocks? The calculator keeps opening up in a new tab even when I was on full screen! Tried closing it and accidentally closed the whole mock
    I didn't have that problem. But rest assured I doubt you'll have that issue on the day.

ReputationRep:
    I've done the medify mocks and I kept getting around 650 avg not happy with that but it did teach me to keep calm and flag my questions.
    That's exactly my intention with the mocks... to help it teach me to be calm and flag smartly.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have that problem. But rest assured I doubt you'll have that issue on the day.
    It's weird I was using chrome on a Mac

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I sat my UKCAT this morning and didn't do as well as I had hoped:

VR 590
    QR 690
    AR 580
    SJ band 3 (even though I got band 1 in my mock!!)

I was wondering if anyone knows cutoffs or what score is needed to get into Newcastle and Warwick? Or what they were last year so I have some idea of whether I stand a chance of getting in?

Any help would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys! So I've been reading your posts about the UKCAT and it really helped me in the days leading up to the exam. I finished mine this morning and got an average of 683 and Band 2 in Situational Judgement. The test is so much more easier than the Mocks! Especially QR- there was one question that would take some time but I guessed and moved onto the easier ones! How do you guys think this score is?

I'm an international student so where would you guys recommend I apply to? Really want to go to King's College London

Really appreciate any replies
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Thanks for all your help in this feed and congrats to everyone on the great results!

Having just done my UKCAT I got 683

VR - 710
    QR - 700
    AR - 638
    (AAA at AS)

I'm hoping to apply for Barts (possibly GEM and UG) and Bristol .. do you think my scores are good enough? Also, any tips for another two solid enough choices? I would ideally like to be in SE England!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Thanks for all your help in this feed and congrats to everyone on the great results!

VR - 710
    QR - 700
    AR - 638
    (AAA at AS and 2.1)

I'm hoping to apply for Barts (possibly GEM and UG) and Bristol .. do you think my scores are good enough? Also, any tips for another two solid enough choices? I would ideally like to be in SE England!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ncollins93)
    Hi there,

VR 590
    QR 690
    AR 580

I was wondering if anyone knows cutoffs or what score is needed to get into Newcastle and Warwick? Or what they were last year so I have some idea of whether I stand a chance of getting in?

Hey based on information i have found in this feed .. Newcastle is quite UKCAT heavy. I thiink that Warwick take verbal reasoning into account separately to the other scores so you would want a good VR score to apply there (not 100% sure on this).

Some unis which aren't ukcat heavy are Birmingham, Bristol, Sheffield, Keele, Cardiff, UEA and Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm taking a gap year and reapplying to medicine for 2017 entry. I got 623.5 in my UKCAT last year which was awful ! I applied to UEA, Imperial, QMUL and Bristol. Even though people say UEA isn't that UKCAT heavy, I still didn't get an interview unfortunately. I also messed up on the BMAT, so Imperial rejected me straight away. QMUL also rejected me and that genuinely was a bad choice and I only found out after I put down QMUL as one of my options. Bristol was the only uni that gave me an interview and it's MMI which some people find difficult, but I didn't think it went too badly, but ended up getting rejected after interview . I'm doing the UKCAT again this year and hopefully I perform better this year. I didn't think of the UKCAT as much last year which was such a bad mistake! If you guys have any questions about applications or Bristol interview advice, I'm here to help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterscientist2)
    Hi guys,

I'm taking a gap year and reapplying to medicine for 2017 entry. I got 623.5 in my UKCAT last year which was awful ! I applied to UEA, Imperial, QMUL and Bristol. Even though people say UEA isn't that UKCAT heavy, I still didn't get an interview unfortunately. I also messed up on the BMAT, so Imperial rejected me straight away. QMUL also rejected me and that genuinely was a bad choice and I only found out after I put down QMUL as one of my options. Bristol was the only uni that gave me an interview and it's MMI which some people find difficult, but I didn't think it went too badly, but ended up getting rejected after interview . I'm doing the UKCAT again this year and hopefully I perform better this year. I didn't think of the UKCAT as much last year which was such a bad mistake! If you guys have any questions about applications or Bristol interview advice, I'm here to help!
    When is your UKCAT? Did you prepare for it?

ReputationRep:
    When is your UKCAT? Did you prepare for it?
    My UKCAT's on the 3rd October, next Monday. I am using Medify and 1000 UKCAT questions by ISCMedical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ncollins93)
    Hi there,

VR 590
    QR 690
    AR 580

Yeah Newcastle is pretty heavy on UKCAT and I do believe Warwick look at your VR score for interview selection and then your overall average after that.

(Original post by zaeem.m)
    Hey Guys! So I've been reading your posts about the UKCAT and it really helped me in the days leading up to the exam. I finished mine this morning and got an average of 683 and Band 2 in Situational Judgement. The test is so much more easier than the Mocks! Especially QR- there was one question that would take some time but I guessed and moved onto the easier ones! How do you guys think this score is?

I'm an international student so where would you guys recommend I apply to? Really want to go to King's College London

Really appreciate any replies
    Thanks
    Great score! I am aware King's is HEAVY for UKCAT. People tend to have 700+ plus but I would check cut offs as your score is very good and very close, just make sure you are careful.
    (Original post by mbradley42)

VR - 710
    QR - 700
    AR - 638
    (AAA at AS)

mbradley I am aware that Barts is very UKCAT heavy so make on their website or have a look at the cut offs. I have heard Barts being 700+ before but your score is good so I would check.
    You guys all got such amazing scores!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what was so easy about the QR? In Medify I can't break 600 in QR :'( Like I just did the last mock and got 550 on it for QR.

What made it easier in the exam and what scores did you get in mocks if I can ask pls?

Well done once again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterscientist2)
    My UKCAT's on the 3rd October, next Monday. I am using Medify and 1000 UKCAT questions by ISCMedical
    mine is on the same day how long have you been prepping for? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbradley42)

VR - 710
    QR - 700
    AR - 638
    (AAA at AS and 2.1)

warwick is a good option , they screen on VR scored first IMO if you don't have a 1st or a masters...avoid barts x

what was your VR Technique?? x

ReputationRep:
    SAME! In the official ones I have gotten so much lower than I wanted. I got 551 in A, 548 in B, and 582 in C. Slightly happier with C because I want around 600-650 in the exam. Anything above is just amazing for me tbh because I am so bad at this.
    Mine is tomorrow. I was terrified but now I'm calm.*
    AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Good luck then if it's tomorrow!!!!!!!!! How do your mocks score?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.