Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    He did say it.
    They are not joining any time soon.

In several decades of Turkey has changed, become more democratic and has a better economy (withdrawing the push factors away) then why not.
    They are not joining any time spooning and perhaps never.
    He was asked if he would veto it IF HE WERE PM, all he had to do was say "yes" instead he implied "no"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    But that's not their rhetoric, they've been forming the argument as to suggest the EU is the sole ' problem ' and to leave is the ' solution '.

Regardless, if we were to continue to trade freely with the single market which seems probable with a pro-eu Commons, then we would be subject to the same freedom of movement as present. On a broad level we could curb EU immigration but it seems contextually unlikely.
    Which is why something like 95%, of countries with FTAs with the EU do not require free movement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    All 28 countries have a veto. We will use it, so will Germany and others.
    Turkey are not joining, it's a lie that they are and you know it.
    When all EU member states have signed a letter to speed up Turkey's membership application, it is not true an EU member state will veto Turkey's application. It does not make sense to deny the British government's policy, and ignore the EU's policy because a stranger on the television is saying something you want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    He was asked if he would veto it IF HE WERE PM, all he had to do was say "yes" instead he implied "no"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But it's not going to happen, certainly not in the next four years.
    They have to fulfil another 34 criteria, of which they have fulfilled one. They also have to get every country to agree. It's jugs not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    'We have been outvoted by Europe 72 times'
    How convenient she didn't mention that Europe has voted our way over 2000 times?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    How convenient she didn't mention that Europe has voted our way over 2000 times?
    Exactly what I was thinking. So irritating.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm sick of the line "vote leave, and take back control" it's worse than "long term economic plan"
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The MP of my constituency has been outvoted in the Commons x times. It's time for Guildford to leave the UK! :fuhrer:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But it's not going to happen, certainly not in the next four years.
    They have to fulfil another 34 criteria, of which they have fulfilled one. They also have to get every country to agree. It's jugs not going to happen.
    So because he won't personally have to do it means he is allowed to say that he wouldn't veto it IF HE WERE PM WHEN THE PAPER WAS ON HIS DESK? If he is so insistent that they won't join he would change the government position accordingly, because Ankara seem to think we're their biggest allies in joining the EU, and he would have simply said "yes, I would veto Turkish accession if I were PM"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So because he won't personally have to do it means he is allowed to say that he wouldn't veto it IF HE WERE PM WHEN THE PAPER WAS ON HIS DESK? If he is so insistent that they won't join he would change the government position accordingly, because Ankara seem to think we're their biggest allies in joining the EU, and he would have simply said "yes, I would veto Turkish accession if I were PM"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He said it's not going to happen and given he'll have final say we can be sure it's not happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    The MP of my constituency has been outvoted in the Commons x times. It's time for Guildford to leave the UK! :fuhrer:
    Definitely! You could also control immigration with an Australian Points based system and most importantly take back control.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    He said it's not going to happen and given he'll have final say we can be sure it's not happening.
    Also it's unfair to ask the PM to throw the diplomacy textbook out of the window and spit in Turkey's face.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ms Davidson is clearly the strongest person on the panel.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Actually liking the Scottish Tory.

ReputationRep:
    Ruth Davidson is brilliant. Even I could possibly consider voting for her.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So why did he not say "I would veto it." If it's not going to happen ever then he can easily say it because he will never have to prove it, but then once again we come back to the other question of why it is that we are paying to help them join?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Also it's unfair to ask the PM to throw the diplomacy textbook out of the window and spit in Turkey's face.
    I think he's already done that by saying it will never happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Actually liking the Scottish Tory.
    Wish Labour had a leader like her.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think he's already done that by saying it will never happen
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't recall him saying never. I believe he said 'not soon' - which is the fact.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I don't recall him saying never. I believe he said 'not soon' - which is the fact.
    Then again: why are we spending so much money helping them get in, especially with such a large deficit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.