Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Being on holiday makes me miss my degree. I wish I had done an MA before doing the PGCE as now I doubt I'll get the chance to do one for a while.

I'm incredibly glad though that this is only the first week of the holidays and that I've still got another week before I need to consider doing any work.
    Considered using your masters credits towards an MA? I really wanted to do an MA in my degree subject but it was expensive and it wouldn't have been much use to me. Maybe one day when I can study for the sake of interest rather than job prospects...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Being on holiday makes me miss my degree. I wish I had done an MA before doing the PGCE as now I doubt I'll get the chance to do one for a while.

I'm incredibly glad though that this is only the first week of the holidays and that I've still got another week before I need to consider doing any work.
    Yeah as the others said it can be done. I know several students each year from my pgce do masters with the same uni as you can use your credits there for two years. It's a really appealing idea to keep in touch with the theory of it all and I think it really helps people develop as a teacher... A very good and rare opportunity to be supported in this. But I personally didn't think I'd be able to find the time. If I had been working part time though, I probably would have done it.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you do/how do you react for an interview lesson and the chn say they have already done this before
    Just thinking about the worst case scenario lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Marking around 60 y9 books and homework projects while my dad is out playing on my boat in the glorious sunshine :unimpressed:

Still feeling incredibly rough but want to have all of my lessons planned for the first week back before I leave for a week without even thinking about being a teacher when we go to Cornwall on Friday.

I think I just need to dig deep. There's still a niggling thought that I don't want to be a teacher and I think that's what's causing me to worry about applying for jobs. A perfect job came up this morning (I told my ladywife only yesterday that I'd apply in a heartbeat if a job came up) and it's in my favourite city, in a perfectly commutable location (an hour's drive down two very easy to drive roads or about 15 minutes away from the marina my boat lives in) and could be brilliant.

The only issue is I can't move closer without messing up my fiancee's commute. I think I could maybe knock it down to 45 mins commute if we move a bit further up the road, but that'd leave her commute at 45 minutes too.

Thinking and adulting is so incredibly hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Striving92)
    What do you do/how do you react for an interview lesson and the chn say they have already done this before
    "Ooh, then you should be really good at it!" (in a smiley happy way, not an aggressive way!)

Invariably, they've forgotten how to do it unless they did it very recently. I'm primary - that's my experience anyway. My class is pure y4, but 2 of them were in a mixed class last year so have already done a few things we've covered this year due to them having been with older children last year. They usually do no better than the other kids on their table. They know they've done it before, but can't recall enough for the lesson to not be of use to them.

Also, children are generally quite forgiving and they know what's going on when they are taught interview lessons. My class often remind me of 'when you came to teach us to get the job here' ... and they were only in Y3 at the time, so pretty young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Marking around 60 y9 books and homework projects while my dad is out playing on my boat in the glorious sunshine :unimpressed:

Still feeling incredibly rough but want to have all of my lessons planned for the first week back before I leave for a week without even thinking about being a teacher when we go to Cornwall on Friday.

I think I just need to dig deep. There's still a niggling thought that I don't want to be a teacher and I think that's what's causing me to worry about applying for jobs. A perfect job came up this morning (I told my ladywife only yesterday that I'd apply in a heartbeat if a job came up) and it's in my favourite city, in a perfectly commutable location (an hour's drive down two very easy to drive roads or about 15 minutes away from the marina my boat lives in) and could be brilliant.

The only issue is I can't move closer without messing up my fiancee's commute. I think I could maybe knock it down to 45 mins commute if we move a bit further up the road, but that'd leave her commute at 45 minutes too.

Thinking and adulting is so incredibly hard
    I totally feel your pain. There must have been about 25 jobs that I've been able to apply for, but I've applied for about five, got about four interviews and not gone to any because I am so unsure about everything :ninja: . I think there will be a job that you know you want deep down eventually. But I know it is really hard. You are not alone!

ReputationRep:
    45 mins commute - very egalitarian if both have the same. And an hour is not bad either. Am told ave UK commute is 90 mins each way. so don't be put off by a possible move. as you say, adulting is hard.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I totally feel your pain. There must have been about 25 jobs that I've been able to apply for, but I've applied for about five, got about four interviews and not gone to any because I am so unsure about everything :ninja: . I think there will be a job that you know you want deep down eventually. But I know it is really hard. You are not alone!
    I think my issue at the moment is knowing that I'd really like the one that came up today. It's 14-19 and it's a technical school with lots of inter-departmental stuff so it'd be absolutely ideal.

It's just the distance. I just want to move back to Nottingham but it's too much chaos to do it just yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    "Ooh, then you should be really good at it!" (in a smiley happy way, not an aggressive way!)

Invariably, they've forgotten how to do it unless they did it very recently. I'm primary - that's my experience anyway. My class is pure y4, but 2 of them were in a mixed class last year so have already done a few things we've covered this year due to them having been with older children last year. They usually do no better than the other kids on their table. They know they've done it before, but can't recall enough for the lesson to not be of use to them.

Also, children are generally quite forgiving and they know what's going on when they are taught interview lessons. My class often remind me of 'when you came to teach us to get the job here' ... and they were only in Y3 at the time, so pretty young.
    So you wouldn't change the plan?
    just a fear that I will be teaching the chn something they have recently done. I know personally speaking for me, changing the plan during an interview lesson would cause me to crumble and panic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Long time lurker, first time poster. I've worked in a primary school as a classroom assistant for five years now and I've always found this thread very useful.

With regard to the above, have you considered doing a Masters part time and long distance or via the OU? I know someone who was teaching full time in a secondary school while studying part time for a PhD. It is doable and if you're serious about it, it's worth looking into.
    I think that might be the best option in a few years!

I just find it irritating that we get 60 credits for an MEd which I don't want to do... :rolleyes: but I think I read somewhere that sometimes the OU let you transfer credits, so could be an option!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I just find it irritating that we get 60 credits for an MEd which I don't want to do... :rolleyes: but I think I read somewhere that sometimes the OU let you transfer credits, so could be an option!
    I finish with 90 credits but it feels an utter waste since I'm slowly crawling back towards a computing phd. Might finish my MA asap by doing a unit over the summer and my research project asap to just get it out of the way.

ReputationRep:
    just a fear that I will be teaching the chn something they have recently done. I know personally speaking for me, changing the plan during an interview lesson would cause me to crumble and panic!
    Do NOT go away from your plan during an interview. The school isn't expecting you to teach them something new. If they had a specific topic in mind they would have specified it. If they've left it to you then it means they don't mind what they see you teach, they mostly just want to see that you CAN teach and how you interact with the children.

ReputationRep:

Iirc some universities let you transfer 30 of the PGCE masters credits over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    With regards to the 120 day legal requirement, I'm a little confused because my uni told me we were allowed 10 days off without having to make it up, yet I just counted school placement days on my calendar and we have 120 school placement days... so I don't know where they have got the 10 days from. They would need to have 130 for that :/
    Hi Airfairy,

I'm sorry to hear about your news. With regards to the 120 days that is a legal requirement. We had to ensure we did two weeks compulsory experience before we started the course which goes towards these days and then we have a four week "enhancement" placement which has been squashed in (non-assessed) to ensure we have enough days to cover the 120 days and 10 days extra if we need to take them off for sickness or interview. I know our uni really do count them. You sure yours isn't more than 120 days in total? I think ours works out at like 135 days in total. I would let the uni know just to be sure because you might need to make up some extra days and you could add that on to your last placement. xx

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!

I haven't posted in a while but have been watching this thread. I had an interview before Easter and I taught a lesson on an RE topic. I was halfway through it when one of the children said they had already done the activity.... They had done pretty much the same task in their books the previous week. I looked at the positive that I was on the right track with setting the work at the right level. I just told the children that we would be doing it again and see if we can really use our imagination. I got the job! :-) Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    I would say it's worth planning extra and having a back-up plan (still covering the same content, but at a different level).

You could have a starter activity that will help you assess their prior knowledge, then have 2 different tasks in mind to build on it - one which introduces the topic if they seem to know very little, and one to develop/extend learning if they already seem quite confident.

That way you're not being reactive and "changing the plan" because it's gone wrong, you're being proactive, planning for every eventuality, and responding to pupils' needs.

For short interview lessons, I also always write some notes on the bottom of my plan, detailing what I would have done if it was a full 50 minute/1 hour lesson. Because you can never fit everything you want to do into a 20-25 minute session, so I think it's good to show you have thought about what the next steps would be. I have always had very positive feedback on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    Hi Airfairy,

I'm sorry to hear about your news. With regards to the 120 days that is a legal requirement. We had to ensure we did two weeks compulsory experience before we started the course which goes towards these days and then we have a four week "enhancement" placement which has been squashed in (non-assessed) to ensure we have enough days to cover the 120 days and 10 days extra if we need to take them off for sickness or interview. I know our uni really do count them. You sure yours isn't more than 120 days in total? I think ours works out at like 135 days in total. I would let the uni know just to be sure because you might need to make up some extra days and you could add that on to your last placement. xx
    Thanks for the information cutebat! There was no compulsory experience needed to get on to my course, but I had a total of 10 days experience. Considering it was not compulsory though, I doubt that they would have factored that in. I wish they did though! Like I said to someone else, we have a total of 6 school enrichment days on our year timetable, but for the last five we haven't even been in school because it wasn't organised. So I guess they were supposed to count but they didn't happen :/ . And then that leaves us 120 days. Which sort of screws me over because I've had a total of 16 days off so far which is three weeks and one day. I do have the advantage that my course finishes quite early so I could make up three weeks but only just. I am hoping to get more interviews and god forbid I get sick again.

I am going to e-mail them about it on Monday once Easter is over though. I just want to know when I can finish so I can look forward to it! I'm assuming they will be able to tell me by now anyway.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else being told to look into planning backwards? My ITT coordinator suggested it and it suddenly makes planning make so much more sense. You find your end target and then look at what it's going to take to get each of your pupils there so differentiation and scaffolding is built in and it's all positivity and growth mindset thinking.

I'm a little bit in love with the idea but frustrated that nobody at uni suggested it to be begin with when they saw me struggle with planning.

30 more books and homework projects to mark today and then tomorrow I'm off to Cornwall. Hopefully I'll squeeze some wedding planning in too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Anyone else being told to look into planning backwards? My ITT coordinator suggested it and it suddenly makes planning make so much more sense. You find your end target and then look at what it's going to take to get each of your pupils there so differentiation and scaffolding is built in and it's all positivity and growth mindset thinking.

I'm a little bit in love with the idea but frustrated that nobody at uni suggested it to be begin with when they saw me struggle with planning.

30 more books and homework projects to mark today and then tomorrow I'm off to Cornwall. Hopefully I'll squeeze some wedding planning in too
    That's what I've been doing

I come up with my overarching enquiry question - what their written assessment will be at the end of the topic and then plan a sequence of lessons based on that.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That's what I've been doing

I come up with my overarching enquiry question - what their written assessment will be at the end of the topic and then plan a sequence of lessons based on that.
    It's such a smart idea though. I know what my end looked like before but I just didn't think of moving everyone towards the end goal rather than having pupils figuring out objectives as they go. My school doesn't really like All, Most and Some in objectives so this will hopefully make my life easier.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.