Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Popping in to try to get an answer from one of the Doctor Who experts.

Now, it's well accepted mythology that Omega tried to harness the power of a supernova to use as an energy source for Gallifrey, he failed in this, it became a blackhole and he was sucked into it. Lost forever. Rassilon came along and took the nucleus of this blackhole, planted it inside Gallifrey itself with some complicated transcendental engineering and it was used as a power source for all of Gallifrey's technology no matter what time stream it existed in. So this includes the Doctor's type-40 TARDIS.

My question is, why does the TARDIS still have this infinite source of power when Gallifrey was not only destroyed in the end of the Time War, but locked also? Would that not include the destruction of the Eye of Harmony?
boba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mckinnon94)
Popping in to try to get an answer from one of the Doctor Who experts.

Now, it's well accepted mythology that Omega tried to harness the power of a supernova to use as an energy source for Gallifrey, he failed in this, it became a blackhole and he was sucked into it. Lost forever. Rassilon came along and took the nucleus of this blackhole, planted it inside Gallifrey itself with some complicated transcendental engineering and it was used as a power source for all of Gallifrey's technology no matter what time stream it existed in. So this includes the Doctor's type-40 TARDIS.

My question is, why does the TARDIS still have this infinite source of power when Gallifrey was not only destroyed in the end of the Time War, but locked also? Would that not include the destruction of the Eye of Harmony?
the tardis doesn't still have an infinite power source he went to cardiff to recharge one episode.
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by boba)
the tardis doesn't still have an infinite power source he went to cardiff to recharge one episode.
Oh. So it just gets the power it "recharges" from out of no where does it? Still has to be power from somewhere. And it supposedly comes from the Eye of Harmony - a singularity, a singularity is an object of infinite density. Hence, infinite power source.
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
I believe they said it comes from the rift and the rift is a pretty powerful, erm, source.

Pretty complicated and I guess the answer would be the writers simply haven't bothered to address this in their thought processes and when they do so it will be in a relatively simple way which may or may not be retconning.

But, and I'm not sure if it's canon, I think the Eye of Harmony exists outside of Gallifrey and the Time Lock and is currently lost somewhere in the universe. If it doesn't, then it's not hard to stretch the power of the Eye of Harmony extending beyond the time lock and powering the TARDIS from 'all time streams' meaning it can power the TARDIS in the future for an infinite period of time from its own past and before its own [Gallifrey's] destruction.
I was thinking of something along those lines but it all seemed too fairy tale to make the power of the Eye escape the time lock, when things powered by the Eye can neither enter nor escape the time lock.
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mckinnon94)
Oh. So it just gets the power it "recharges" from out of no where does it? Still has to be power from somewhere. And it supposedly comes from the Eye of Harmony - a singularity, a singularity is an object of infinite density. Hence, infinite power source.
the power in cardif came from the rift, the one they always talk about in torchwood
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by punctuation)
Ahhh thanks. Was it busy/were there long queues? I'm planning to go in the middle of the week.
Not at all. You just walk straight in. I had my tickets in advance but I noticed that the kiosk for purchasing tickets there didn't have a queue either. I went at 11.30am on Thursday if that helps.
punctuation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rascacielos)
Not at all. You just walk straight in. I had my tickets in advance but I noticed that the kiosk for purchasing tickets there didn't have a queue either. I went at 11.30am on Thursday if that helps.
Right. Thanks!
LastLordofTime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Listen to the new Chameleon Circuit album, Still Got Legs, free of charge here: http://chameleoncircuit.bandcamp.com/

It's all legal and everything - supplied by the band themselves.

There's some good songs on there. They've somewhat managed to turn an album about Doctor Who in to an album that's about life that references Doctor Who~
Tasneemo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You know my stupid red theory? Well i was thinking, I was just watching Amy's Choice and there is a lot of red in the dreams [red camper van, amy's wearing a red cardigan, a lot of other red things that I can't seem to remember - oh yeah! the red flashing lights in the tardis indicating that something was wrong i.e they were in a dream], and at the end of the episode, the Doctor sees his reflection as the Dream Lord meaning that he neve fully goes away. So could that mean that the world they're in right now is not reality too? That this was all a dream/ not all the psychic pollen was removed/ inception.

overanalysing ftw. *prepares for sarcastic comments*
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tasneemo)
You know my stupid red theory? Well i was thinking, I was just watching Amy's Choice and there is a lot of red in the dreams [red camper van, amy's wearing a red cardigan, a lot of other red things that I can't seem to remember - oh yeah! the red flashing lights in the tardis indicating that something was wrong i.e they were in a dream], and at the end of the episode, the Doctor sees his reflection as the Dream Lord meaning that he neve fully goes away. So could that mean that the world they're in right now is not reality too? That this was all a dream/ not all the psychic pollen was removed/ inception.

overanalysing ftw. *prepares for sarcastic comments*
I really hope not
Tasneemo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by boba)
I really hope not
Would that be like one of those terrible endings of a book where it says '...and they woke up and it was all a dream.'?
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tasneemo)
Would that be like one of those terrible endings of a book where it says '...and they woke up and it was all a dream.'?
yes it would be awful
sleekchic
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
It's here. It's finally here. I've been waiting for this tshirt for a very long time. http://qwertee.com/

Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The girl colours are always much nicer on qwertee :sad:
sleekchic
Report 7 years ago
I actually prefer the men's colour for this design.

You can get 40p off by using this promotional code: ilovedoctorwhonews

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07...irt-offer.html
LastLordofTime
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was going to buy it - then I saw how they've printed it and I'm definitely not. Would make a much better shirt as a full-frontal design...
shadowOfDoubt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
Hmmm... maybe River takes it off with her and leaves it to 'die' somewhere.

If future Doctor is actually dead.
If we take River's words from "A good man goes to war" literally when she says "That's a whole different birthday", maybe she is suggesting that for a previous birthday the doctor crossed his own timeline.

But I think we have to ask ourselves if there may be a doctor in the parallel universe (Pete's world), not the Metacrisis doctor, but one that belongs in that universe.
??????????????????
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Realised most of the clips in the video was posted here as gifs or would nice ones. Great moments.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://thechap.net/content/section_news/?p=817

Do any of you actually care about this I wonder :holmes:
sleekchic
Report 7 years ago
No
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (44)
37.93%
No - but I will (4)
3.45%
No - I don't want to (5)
4.31%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (63)
54.31%

Watched Threads