The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Ok, what about the big bankers and CEO's who use slave labour or pay their staff as little as possible and let them live in poverty??? That's inhuman so should we take their rights away???

it was just a point that if the person derives pleasure from it it is often a sign of dealer issues so instead of legalising the so called 'sport' we should ban it and anyone who then kills them anyway should be locked up in a mental hospital or face a murder charge with the chanse of life inprisonment.
Sometimes comments are just too stupid to continue to debate.
I'm out.

To lighten the mood a bit, just remember, without hunting we'd have never had this classic (rather sexist) ditty from the 2 Ronnies!

Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
What?
No to test tube meat - it would be disgusting!
(Original post by Aph)
why though? Should humans not have rights then? It is essentially the same thing.

you know that killing animals and enjoying it are often the first signs of being a sociopath? Children who do it often go on to kill people too.
I enjoy killing snails - does that mean I'm going to kill someone?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
No to test tube meat - it would be disgusting!

I enjoy killing snails - does that mean I'm going to kill someone?
It'd taste the same do you even know what test tube meat is?

I'd suggest that this points towards some sort of internal conflict and loss of control. You have been hurt by people in the past and didn't know how to deal with it so you are taking it out on the snails as you see them as inferior and you need to feel superior to something.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
It'd taste the same do you even know what test tube meat is?

I'd suggest that this points towards some sort of internal conflict and loss of control. You have been hurt by people in the past and didn't know how to deal with it so you are taking it out on the snails as you see them as inferior and you need to feel superior to something.
I would assume that test tube meat is very much similar to test tube babies... it wouldn't be the taste, it'd be the knowledge of eating test tube meat - I love being able to go down to my butchers, and know that the lovely juicy leg of lamb I'm cooking was roaming around on their farm...
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would assume that test tube meat is very much similar to test tube babies... it wouldn't be the taste, it'd be the knowledge of eating test tube meat - I love being able to go down to my butchers, and know that the lovely juicy leg of lamb I'm cooking was roaming around on their farm...
They are completely different things...
test tube meat is simply muscle grown in a Petri dish and was never Alive.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
They are completely different things...
test tube meat is simply muscle grown in a Petri dish and was never Alive.
That's even worse then.

Meat should've been roaming around - or at least breathing air before being killed for food!
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's even worse then.

Meat should've been roaming around - or at least breathing air before being killed for food!
Test tube meat is the future, to eat meat that tastes as good but didn't harm any animals, no cramped conditions, battery farming and no problems with it being "off"
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
to eat meat that tastes as good but didn't harm any animals, no cramped conditions, battery farming and no problems with it being "off"
Is just wrong.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Test tube meat is the future, to eat meat that tastes as good but didn't harm any animals, no cramped conditions, battery farming and no problems with it being "off"
Hear hear!!! It also makes the land more productive.
That's even worse then.

Well it isn't killed because it was never alive...

Also we have no other alternatives if we want to feed everyone.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Well it isn't killed because it was never alive...

Also we have no other alternatives if we want to feed everyone.
You've got the price rationing function so that those who can afford meat, can eat it... I would pay a slight premium for real meat, whilst everyone else can buy test tube meat if it's so cost effective and everything.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is just wrong.
Growing our own food is wrong, but creating an entire industry out of raising animals so as to kill them for food at the maximum potential level of profit is perfectly okay?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
Growing our own food is wrong, but creating an entire industry out of raising animals so as to kill them for food at the maximum potential level of profit is perfectly okay?
In one word: yeh.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You've got the price rationing function so that those who can afford meat, can eat it... I would pay a slight premium for real meat, whilst everyone else can buy test tube meat if it's so cost effective and everything.
It'll also lead to 'real meat' as you call it effectively stopping being made. Of course with the advent of 3D printing people are looking at printing food onto the plate which will be fun.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
It'll also lead to 'real meat' as you call it effectively stopping being made. Of course with the advent of 3D printing people are looking at printing food onto the plate which will be fun.
It'll be fun - for about 5 minutes. And then I'll want my real meat back on my plate, which I will thoroughly enjoy.

There is nothing better than a nice lamb chop, or a thick steak.
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Really, really don't get the logic I'm afraid
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It'll be fun - for about 5 minutes. And then I'll want my real meat back on my plate, which I will thoroughly enjoy.

There is nothing better than a nice lamb chop, or a thick steak.
What you fail to get is that this would be exactly the same. Same taste, same texture it's just one is more humane and sustainable.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
One thing that puzzles me is why people consider having something metal attached and then electrocuted is more humane than a quick swipe of the neck.
Slashing their neck allowing the blood to drain out is not an instant death. It can be up to an hour of the animal struggling for breath in extreme pain before dying. Electrocuting the animal first may be painful but is very quick and it paralyses the animal making the death part painless.

(Original post by Aph)
In-vitro meat is the same as real meat and the process has its drawbacks which will always hamper progress and prevent it form becoming the primary source of meat. In-vitro methods only allow for the growth of minced meat which is fine for spaghetti bolognese and chicken nuggets but there is no method of growing steak, chicken breasts, pepperoni, and ham. I have no objection to in-vitro meat but is is far from being the miracle people believe it to be, and I am not prepared to give up ham and pepperoni pizzas, steak and chips, and chicken breasts which in-vitro does not cater for.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We're definitely not there yet, they made a burger which tasted like a normal burger but I think cost wise it worked out at about £1000. Plus we should need to study it's long term effects as well before we release it, but I doubt there are too many problems, except with the whole "lack of exposure to the environment" impact on our immune systems.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is the most bizarre attitude of all, I know we conflict over alot of things but the idea that you prefer to have something living and kill it to eat it, with no other benefits and to pay more for it is mad.

Plus we established that you like the idea of hunting and killing animals, so our logic would actually save that lambs life so you could watch it run about the field, which you mentioned. Except that would severely disappoint you, because it will be living and not dead.

WTF
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We're definitely not there yet, they made a burger which tasted like a normal burger but I think cost wise it worked out at about £1000. Plus we should need to study it's long term effects as well before we release it, but I doubt there are too many problems, except with the whole "lack of exposure to the environment" impact on our immune systems.
The real solution to food production is simply to increase vegetarianism. In the modern world of imports it's perfectly possible to eat a nutritious diet.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (34)
25.19%
No (101)
74.81%

Watched Threads