Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At this point if Gustavo is our only signing I won't be too devastated. We're not going to get Suarez.

ReputationRep:
    is it august yet lads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Just go for Affelay if we must get a winger. But please just sign a top class striker and Fab if he becomes available. That's all I want.
    True Podolski isn't a great winger. He's just an out of position striker. Gervinho is highly inconsistent but I don't know if Affelay can add to the team. If he's cheap then might as well give it a go but for a team that rely on wingers and wide play I'd be looking elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thugnificent.)
    is it august yet lads
    No but we want the signing done before the season starts. Though Suarez doesn't really matter as he's banned for the first six.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What happened to this thread today? :lolwut:

(Original post by Zürich)
    10m for Williams is way too much for a 4th CB. Ideally we'd sign someone as a DM who could slot in at CB in an emergency. The likes of Lars Bender dont really fit that description but Gustavo at Bayern probably can. Bac Sagna can do a job at CB as well of course, last season at Sunderland IIRC when we went down to ten men he was a beast. Jenkinson is good enough to cover at RB.

If we do sign a CB then a young CB who doesnt mind biding his time would be preferable because Kosc/Mert/Verm are all the business. I reckon if Wenger does sign a CB, it'll be someone none of us have heard of from a Ligue 1 side ala Koscielny. Wouldnt mind that tbh.
    Mm, the bit in bold is something I said when Song went off. :yep: From the players we've been linked to, I know that Capoue and Kondogbia both fit the description. The former seems to be solid but is still a bit of a risk/unknown quantity - but Kondogbia is younger, very highly rated across Europe and has performed at a high level (first-choice for Sevilla last season). We won't get him if Real Madrid's interest is genuine, but otherwise he could be a pretty fantastic acquisition. Wenger basically said he rates him and was interested as well (iirc 'There isn't a manager in the world who wouldn't be interested in him').

(Original post by fallen_acorns)
    I know... and it seems to be the same people on all the threads

cant we just have one or two for those of us football fans who dont want to argue all the time..
    Check out the thread in my sig. :pierre: (It should get going again as soon as some people get their acts together ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    No but we want the signing done before the season starts. Though Suarez doesn't really matter as he's banned for the first six.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Higuain/Napoli deal seems to be done. we missed out on him lads

how many 'Spectacular' signings are left now bar Suarez that we can sign :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thugnificent.)
    The Higuain/Napoli deal seems to be done. we missed out on him lads

how many 'Spectacular' signings are left now bar Suarez that we can sign :afraid:
    Higuain to Napoli would probably pave the way for Suarez to Real Madrid so that would be two targets gone.

ReputationRep:
    What about lavezzi of psg? I don't know if he's an out n out striker, but with cavani in maybe him or ibra will leave

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    What about lavezzi of psg? I don't know if he's an out n out striker, but with cavani in maybe him or ibra will leave

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think he's a proper striker. I think we could have done with Tevez - £8m was an absolute bargain for Juve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I don't think he's a proper striker. I think we could have done with Tevez - £8m was an absolute bargain for Juve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think tevez wanted to leave England but he's quality
    We could get dzeko? But he doesn't offer much different to giroud
    I don't think we'll get Suarez, not Rooney if Chelsea are in for him I don't know who else we'd get
    Ibrahimovic is the only other top striker I can think of

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    I think tevez wanted to leave England but he's quality
    We could get dzeko? But he doesn't offer much different to giroud
    I don't think we'll get Suarez, not Rooney if Chelsea are in for him I don't know who else we'd get
    Ibrahimovic is the only other top striker I can think of

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lewandowski?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdoovde1)
    Lewandowski?
    Is going to Bayern next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would be trolling of Wenger if he actually turned out to sign the Suarez of Anderlecht, whom we apparently had a pre-contract with last year.

But seriously, strikers are looking thin on the ground now. I think we should still try to get Higuain up until the point his signature is penned in Naples. I don't even know how they've managed to get his value from 20m up to 30m anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

None of our wingers are technically gifted either, all ultra direct counter attackers tbh. Guess thats why Cazorla's been out wide sometimes, to give us better link up etc. I'd like to see us bring in a Nasri type who can cut inside better than the likes of Walcott/Podolski as I think our wing play has been terribly predictable in the last 2 years.
    Tbf that's pretty much what Bernard offers.

The hype around him has been building in brazil for the last year or so but it's only recently (since he's been linked with English clubs) that the English press have begun going on like he's some kind of wonder kid, when they've actually only seen him play about 15 minutes in a confed cup game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Would be trolling of Wenger if he actually turned out to sign the Suarez of Anderlecht, whom we apparently had a pre-contract with last year.

But seriously, strikers are looking thin on the ground now. I think we should still try to get Higuain up until the point his signature is penned in Naples. I don't even know how they've managed to get his value from 20m up to 30m anyway.
    Napoli have a lot of cash from the sale of Cavani. They basically have around 65mil euros to spend from just the Cavani sale and they know they need a top striker (which seem to be disappearing very quickly..)

Selling your striker for 65mil euros and buying a replacement for 35mil euros isn't that questionable I suppose?

Game about to start

Lineup:

Fabianski
    Jenkinson Sagna Mertesacker Gibbs
    Arteta Ramsey
    Walcott Rosicky Miyaichi
    Giroud

Substitutes: Martinez, Miquel, Wilshere, Olsson, Aneke, Gnabry, Eisfeld, Zelalem, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski, Akpom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Game about to start

Lineup:

Fabianski
    Arteta Ramsey
    Walcott Rosicky Miyaichi
    Giroud

Substitutes: Martinez, Miquel, Wilshere, Olsson, Aneke, Gnabry, Eisfeld, Zelalem, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski, Akpom
    can we take any hint from sagna playing CB as a hint that there will be no CB signign..?

(Original post by fallen_acorns)
    can we take any hint from sagna playing CB as a hint that there will be no CB signign..?
    Nah, I wouldn't read too deeply into it. The other option would have been to play Miquel, but I think Wenger wanted to put out as many big names as possible (plus Miyaichi :p:) for this game. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Chim Chim scores again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Game about to start

Lineup:

Fabianski
    Arteta Ramsey
    Walcott Rosicky Miyaichi
    Giroud

This looks like what'll be our team come Villa on August 17th, but perhaps Szczesny and Podolski for Fabianksi and Miyachi and Wilshere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.