Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Rodgers has to go, draw or lose against Ludo and he should be sacked.

De Boer, Klopp, Garcia, Simeone.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Lucas and Can is so, so defensive - and neither is top four quality.

This is the same story every time we finish 2nd, we end up regressing through **** signings. Diouf in 02/03, Aquilani in 09/10, Balotelli/Markovic in 14/15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Lucas and Can is so, so defensive - and neither is top four quality.

This is the same story every time we finish 2nd, we end up regressing through **** signings. Diouf in 02/03, Aquilani in 09/10, Balotelli/Markovic in 14/15.
    Lucas isn't even bad, he just plays awful with Gerrard, and then gets played out of position playing left/right in a diamond, so no one really sees where he's at as a result. But he's Liverpool's best defensive midfielder and would give much need protection to a back 4 that is crying out for it.

Can is box to box, not that I've seen him play much, so I'm not entirely sure of where his greatest quality would lie. But from what I have heard box to box, rather than anchor, so not really a defensive approach - not that would be a bad thing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Got myself a ticket to the Basel game

ReputationRep:
    Lucas and Can would be very interesting.
    Lucas is entirely useless going forward but he has experience and he knows how to sit in midfield, cover our back line and break up play.
    He isn't the best you'll ever see but he's a hell of a lot better than Gerrard.

That leaves Can a bit of freedom to become more of a box to box player (as somebody said earlier). I think (hope) he could turn out beastly like Yaya Toure.
    I'm particularly impressed with his awareness on the ball with regards to who is around him and where his teammates are.
    If he gets more games and improves his stamina, I think we'll have quite a strong midfield with good retention of possession.

Add in henderson/coutinho/Lallana (depending on the opponent) and I think we could actually salvage a half decent midfield from the players we have.
    All on paper though...

However the question is whether Rodgers would have the balls to drop Gerrard to give it a go, even just for one game?

ReputationRep:
    We're rubbish, and I can only see things getting worse. Cannot see anything on the pitch that I believe can drag us through this. Another couple of weeks and Rodgers could be under immense pressure.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Brendan's recent lack of logical thinking, both tactically and in player selection, is rather quite baffling.

It's been quite obvious that our so-called second team has put in the better performances for us this season, both defensively and offensively. Yet they continue to sit on the bench. Players should be picked on merit.

At the back, Kolo should be playing, simple as that. We need someone who can keep the ****ers organised. Whether that's with Lovren or Sakho, I'm not sure, but BR should be trying it out in training and deciding from there which partnership would work best. I'm leaning towards Sakho personally mainly because he's slightly quicker which you would need considering Kolo's old legs. Skrtel tends to look pretty solid individually but I'm afraid he simply isn't capable of forming defensive partnerships with other CB's. He's also made a lot more individual errors than Kolo who seems to be the one who always get the stick.

Full backs pick themselves imo. Johnson shouldn't be on the pitch, end of.

Gerrard? On the bench I'm afraid. If you give Lucas a run of games, he will pick up form and soon become better protection for the back. He's looked dodgy but whens the last time he had a run of games in the team? Of course he's going to be lacking a bit of sharpness.

The other five should vary game-to-game, but generally it should be about certain combinations. If you're playing Lambert or Balotelli as a lone striker, then there is simply no reason to have Coutinho on the pitch. They aren't compatible. Coutinho needs a player like Borini, especially as Sterling hasn't really been making those runs in behind of late.

Long-term, I see Lallana being a centre mid for us, but if you're playing Lambert, then get Lallana as high up the pitch and close to him as possible. They know how to get the best out of each other, so take advantage of that. I'd say put him on the right personally because Manquillo is more reserved than Moreno and also have Hendo at RCM (although his form has also dipped... maybe Can?). The pair of them will give enough cover to give Lallana license to get forward as much as possible. Sterling can play slightly deeper on the left wing to balance it out (as he isn't making the runs in behind at the moment, he is more effective playing deeper anyway).

In all honesty, Sterling needs a period out of the team. The problem is there isn't anyone to replace him with because Markovic isn't ready and Coutinho is useless on the wing. One thing I will say though is anyone saying we should use Sterling as a 'super-sub' type player, you're wrong. Yes some fast players can have a particular impact coming on late in a game against tired legs, but it's not the case with all of them. It's a myth. When has Sterling ever had an effect on a game when coming off the bench (I appreciate there isn't exactly a large data set for this, but he always seems to struggle to get into a game if he isn't starting)?

As for our centre-mids, I'm a bit torn on what the best way forward is. As I said, Hendo is out of form, but who else have we got? Allen? Can? Are either really going to have a particular presence in a game? Maybe Gerrard could play further forward and have Lucas sitting at the base?

If we had Sturridge fit, I'd say just go ham and have a Lucas/Coutinho/Lallana midfield 3, and then a front 3 of Sterling/Sturridge/Borini. Whether that's in a diamond or having Sturridge flanked by the other two would depend on the opposition. As it happens, without a top striker to play off, there isn't any point having that much creativity on the pitch.

BLAH. Oh, and one last thing. Sacking Rodgers would be the most retarded thing ever. Who else are we going to get? It would just be another massive step back like the mighty spurs always do. That said, the 'transfer committee' needs an overhaul or I can't see Rodgers being given any significant funds for the forseeable future. He's been riding off the success of Coutinho and Sturridge up until now, but I'm afraid that's no longer enough. Southampton managed to get players like Tadic and Pelle where we got Markovic and Balotelli. For a fraction of the price too. Not just that, so many of our 'future stars' we've signed like Alberto, Ilori and to a certain extent Borini, have gone completely missing. What are the odds of that happening with Can and Markovic? As someone who has watched a lot of Southampton in recent years, I'm confident the likes of Lallana and Lovren will soon step it up once they become more accustomed to the team, and become top quality signings for us, but it needs to happen sooner rather than later for BR's sake.

We'll get things right again soon and I'm fairly confident that will be under BR. I have a bad feeling though that this season is going to be a complete write-off (except maybe a League Cup win?).

All that said though, the players need to take their fair share of the blame as well. I know we all like to have a dig at lazy Balotelli, but the truth is that the workrate levels of ALL the players is massively down on last season. They need to get their act together. I'm fed up of hearing 'professionals' talk about confidence and other psychological crap. It's all complete bull. You're professionals. Stop whining, get your bloody head down and just do your ****ing job. If I have a bad game, it's probably because I had a hangover or I ate KFC before the match. It doesn't affect how I play in the next game.

/end drunken rant. Time for bed.

ReputationRep:
    Call that a drunken rant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    If BR fails to secure top four he should be let go. I think Liverpool stand a good chance of securing Klopp tbh I think Liverpool would be the perfect platform for him
    I think it will depend if it looks like progress has been made or not. If we have a season like his first then we would keep him (you could see progression). If it's just a poor stagnant season, I can see FSG sacking. They have been ruthless with Red Sox coaches.

Lol we'd have no chance with Klopp.
    Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs would all probably look at Klopp.
    Pellegrini isn't having a great season so Man City may opt for a change.
    If LVG doesn't get top 4 then Klopp would be perfect.
    Arsenal may look to Klopp when Wenger retires
    Spurs always change their manager.

(Original post by CB91)
    Any talk of sacking Rodgers is absurd, but I wouldnt trust him with a large transfer budget again. A DoF or something would be better.
    Well we tried that before with Comolli and it went pretty badly.

(Original post by ShotsFired-9941)
    Tbh I very much like how Simone (athletico madrid coach) conducts himself with the press.

But I yeah I would prefer to see BR leave end of season. Maybe even see Klopp or Benitez takeover anfied.

Isn't Guardiola in his final year at Bayern?
    Can't see Simeone coming either. He's shown himself to be a great manager in a short space of time so plenty of huge clubs will queue up to sign him.

(Original post by joey11223)
    I had imagined this being a draw so wasn't surprised when it became 1-1, but damn poor second half.

No offense folks but Ludogorets or draw at evens looks tempting...
    Really need to win that one.

(Original post by Lúcio)
    lambert had a wonderful start and essentially did well with the limited chances he had.
    he held the ball up well but there were so many around him like sterling simply not performing.
    like i've been saying, he doesn't set the world alight but he does his job and he works hard.

borini didn't really have much of an impact; we barely did anything in the second half anyway to it was difficult to see any kind of teamwork between them.

again with rodgers though, he waited until 65 mins before making a change in a game where we were seriously struggling.
    65 mins is pretty standard. You go into the game and expect your game plan to work (very fluid and not exact science) so you have to put some faith in it for 2/3 of the game imo.

(Original post by sr90)
    Gerrard looks like he's a bigger figure at than the club than Rodgers is at the moment, Chelsea used to have the same problem pre Mourinho. He'll want to play every game, as any footballer would, and his manager isn't brave enough to drop him or even substitute him. Even though it's obvious to even the most die hard Liverpool fan that he's a spent force.

Look at what Mourinho did with Cole/Lampard or what Ferguson did with Scholes/Giggs, it's time to start phasing Gerrard out as well. He still has a role to play, but he shouldn't be playing 90 minutes every game anymore. Can looks like a good player from what i've seen, so why isn't he starting games?
    The problem is that if Gerrard is dropped and we continue to lose then a lot of casual fans will be after Rodgers' head. The press will be going on about how can a legend like Gerrard be dropped?

Mourinho didn't really phase them out. He just dropped them from the side and then let them go.
    SAF was bigger than any player at Man Utd. He has a stand named after him. Not as easy for Rodgers to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    Mignolet, Manquillo, Toure, Sakho/Lovren, Moreno, Lucas, Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling, Borini, Sturridge. 4-4-2 in a ****ing diamond. Sorted. Lets win 5-3 again.

(Original post by Zürich)
    Call that a drunken runt?
    your mums a drunken runt

Jokez. plz dont hate me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Reading's chairman on sacking Rodgers in 2009/10:

“I understand he didn’t have much time but we got on a slippery slope and it just got worse. Signings didn’t settle, Brendan was adamant his style of play would eventually work. Results kept getting worse, performances too. Results & performances did not match what the manager was consistently telling me. The fans started to tell me a different story. Brendan refused to comprehend the notion of changing his ways so adamant was he that he would be successful. The only thing that was changing rapidly was our league position. Was it hasty sacking him? (No) Did we avoid relegation with McDermott? (Yes)””

Sound familiar?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sr90)
    Reading's chairman on sacking Rodgers in 2009/10:

“I understand he didn’t have much time but we got on a slippery slope and it just got worse. Signings didn’t settle, Brendan was adamant his style of play would eventually work. Results kept getting worse, performances too. Results & performances did not match what the manager was consistently telling me. The fans started to tell me a different story. Brendan refused to comprehend the notion of changing his ways so adamant was he that he would be successful. The only thing that was changing rapidly was our league position. Was it hasty sacking him? (No) Did we avoid relegation with McDermott? (Yes)””

Sound familiar?
    Bring in McDermott now.

ReputationRep:
    Going to Anfield for the first ever time after January, know a mate who says he will give me his season ticket for any game.

Which match should I choose ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bromaldehyde)
    Going to Anfield for the first ever time after January, know a mate who says he will give me his season ticket for any game.

None at this rate.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

In all seriousness, it's between Leicester on New Year's Day and West Ham.

West Ham are a more historic club and will probably have the best support - plus they play better football, but Leicester are gritty and are capable of giving us a scare so it's really up to you.

New Year's Day is always a decent atmosphere, though. It's like a football tradition.

ReputationRep:
    You have a good team with good depth. You need to stop trying to add players and work on your team chemistry
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Manchester United. You're guaranteed to win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Manchester United. You're guaranteed to win.
    Unless the ref decides otherwise, I remember that 2012 game at Anfield...

ReputationRep:
    Rodgers is an utter prick let's be honest

ReputationRep:
    Didn't he say you can't coach defending after we beat you 2-0 in April?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.