The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
Slashing their neck allowing the blood to drain out is not an instant death. It can be up to an hour of the animal struggling for breath in extreme pain before dying. Electrocuting the animal first may be painful but is very quick and it paralyses the animal making the death part painless.

In-vitro meat is the same as real meat and the process has its drawbacks which will always hamper progress and prevent it form becoming the primary source of meat. In-vitro methods only allow for the growth of minced meat which is fine for spaghetti bolognese and chicken nuggets but there is no method of growing steak, chicken breasts, pepperoni, and ham. I have no objection to in-vitro meat but is is far from being the miracle people believe it to be, and I am not prepared to give up ham and pepperoni pizzas, steak and chips, and chicken breasts which in-vitro does not cater for.
Yeah, this is what I could accept, replacing the standard meat in pre-cooked meals, but luxury meats still exist for restaurants or maybe a once a week treat for the standard family. If we raised the price of normal meats and pushed them into the fancy restaurants and eliminated the race to the bottom, battery farmed, cheap quality meat of quantity, not quality. I would consider that success. Nothing wrong with keeping some going, but long term it has to come down. It just isn't sustainable.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
The real solution to food production is simply to increase vegetarianism. In the modern world of imports it's perfectly possible to eat a nutritious diet.
No, it's not. There are still vital nutrients that we realistically only get from meat, branching out into insects/fish or growing more soy etc. would be a temporary measure, lab fresh meat is the ending I think.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
It can last hours, and you gave to remember the chase, would you like to chased though a wood by wolves just to be torn limb from limb???

there are humane ways ok keeping them...
No, being torn apart by much larger dogs does not last "hours". How i would feel has nothing to do with how a fox feels.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The real solution to food production is simply to increase vegetarianism. In the modern world of imports it's perfectly possible to eat a nutritious diet.
Or we can all start eating insects but I do agree. Plus plant matter can be made to closely feel and taste like meat anyway.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Yeah, this is what I could accept, replacing the standard meat in pre-cooked meals, but luxury meats still exist for restaurants or maybe a once a week treat for the standard family. If we raised the price of normal meats and pushed them into the fancy restaurants and eliminated the race to the bottom, battery farmed, cheap quality meat of quantity, not quality. I would consider that success. Nothing wrong with keeping some going, but long term it has to come down. It just isn't sustainable.
I have always been confused by this stance as on one hand you want social and economic equality, whereas on the other hand you are happy to make some common foods we have now the preserve of the wealthy. I accept the reasoning behind it but the clash of principles does not sit well with me for. I would have thought trying to move diets away from being meat based and helping other foods to come down in price to undercut meat, would be an easier alternative to reduce meat demand while avoiding punishing the poor. Families would still be able to afford real meat in their diets but because other food is considerably cheaper they choose the alternatives in combination with consumer goods.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
No, being torn apart by much larger dogs does not last "hours". How i would feel has nothing to do with how a fox feels.
Yes it does, how you feel and how the fox feels are likely to be exactly the same. Not that you care at all.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
No, it's not. There are still vital nutrients that we realistically only get from meat, branching out into insects/fish or growing more soy etc. would be a temporary measure, lab fresh meat is the ending I think.
Other than B12 i'm not certain that's the case.

Which other things are not available in vegetables?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Or we can all start eating insects but I do agree. Plus plant matter can be made to closely feel and taste like meat anyway.
I am not eating insects!
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Other than B12 i'm not certain that's the case.

Which other things are not available in vegetables?
Creatine, vitamin D3, carnosine, and docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA).
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Yes it does, how you feel and how the fox feels are likely to be exactly the same. Not that you care at all.
No it doesn't. How on earth do you expect a fox to survive over two hours of having it's necked snapped? The dog don't even do it for more than a few minutes.

Hardly.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll grant you those. Still a pretty small number.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am not eating insects!
tastes alright I'm told.

All of which can be synthesised in a lad for fortification.
DHA: seaweed
D3: lichens
Carosine: Madagascar periwinkle.

(Original post by KingStannis)
No it doesn't. How on earth do you expect a fox to survive over two hours of having it's necked snapped? The dog don't even do it for more than a few minutes.

Hardly.
I was talking about how the fox feels, I know it wouldn't last hours after being savaged but the hunt often does.

my point exactly.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, not all of us can be vegetarians. My body is intolerant of several components of a healthy vegetarian diet - items like nuts and a wide variety of pulses. More over, I am picky when it comes to my veg.

I am strongly opposed to battery farming. That is why I know where my meat comes from. I know my butcher and have visited the farms, so I am aware of the living conditions of the animals and the food that they eat.

I don't eat meat as often as I used to, but it still makes up part of my diet. Would I prefer to not eat animals? Sure, but I also want to be healthy. The way nature works is cruel. Life consumes life, all the time. As humans, we can at least ensure that we inflict the least amount of suffering possible.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
Well, not all of us can be vegetarians. My body is intolerant of several components of a healthy vegetarian diet - items like nuts and a wide variety of pulses. More over, I am picky when it comes to my veg.

I am strongly opposed to battery farming. That is why I know where my meat comes from. I know my butcher and have visited the farms, so I am aware of the living conditions of the animals and the food that they eat.

I don't eat meat as often as I used to, but it still makes up part of my diet. Would I prefer to not eat animals? Sure, but I also want to be healthy. The way nature works is cruel. Life consumes life, all the time. As humans, we can at least ensure that we inflict the least amount of suffering possible.
Unfortunate. I'm yet to find a single thing i'm allergic to.

My objection to eating meat is more that it's inefficient rather than any moral argument. Additionally i don't think we need to much in the modern world, so being a vegetarian 5 days a week would not be a bad outcome.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunate. I'm yet to find a single thing i'm allergic to.

My objection to eating meat is more that it's inefficient rather than any moral argument. Additionally i don't think we need to much in the modern world, so being a vegetarian 5 days a week would not be a bad outcome.
I am lucky enough that it won't kill me if I accidentally eat a nut. If I eat more than a couple, though, my body lets me know that it's not happy with me. Same with most beans. I can eat kidney beans for some odd reason. As much as I like a good chilli, though, eating kidney beans too often is not appealing.

True, I don't eat meat every day. There is plenty of other nice food to eat.

Even if I didn't have a food intolerance, though, I don't think I could ever be a vegan. I absolutely love dairy products. A life without cheese, yoghurt... ice cream?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Privy_Council)

Anybody with time to kill may want to update this page.

It would also be interesting to know what the highest rank current MP's have achieved is..

Off the top of my head..

Me - PM, Chief Secretary to the Treasury
Toronto - DS, DPM, Foreign Secretary
Birchington - S, DPM, Chancellor

(only counting people who actually create bills rather than simply get a title)
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Privy_Council)

Anybody with time to kill may want to update this page.

It would also be interesting to know what the highest rank current MP's have achieved is..

Off the top of my head..

Me - PM, Chief Secretary to the Treasury
Toronto - DS, DPM, Foreign Secretary
Birchington - S, DPM, Chancellor

(only counting people who actually create bills rather than simply get a title)
It's so out of date though.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
Anyone else terrified and incensed by the things this government is planning? Scrapping the Human Rights Act, ending the hunting ban, further cuts to the welfare budget, probable support for TTIP, brutal policies against Mediterranean migrants... the list goes on.
A few pages late, but I have no issue with any of these
  • At worst, abolishing the HRA will do nothing, at best we will regain some control over the laws of our land and the courts
  • I would like to see hunting come back, I would rather not have to go to Ireland or some other nation to do it. In reality it won't because if there is any sign of it being repealed Labour and the SNP will just call in everybody they need to so the ban, however ineffective it is, stays in place, just like with the speaker secret ballot.
  • If there is reasonable capacity to cut welfare further I see no reason why we shouldn't cut it, however the expectation of not having a majority has made things harder for IDS.
  • I have yet to hear a coherent argument against TTIP, and as such have been given no reason to fear or oppose it.
  • As for the med, it isn't brutal, it's the most sensible solution as I shall go into below

Spoiler:
Show

So, what is the problem in the Med, at least from the liberal perspective? People drowning.
Why are they drowning? Illegal immigration attempts gone wrong.
How do you stop this? Make them not try.
How do you do this? Well, one of three ways:
  1. Wait until they're all here anyway. Improbably going to happen, people will just come from elsewhere, still involves lots being killed.
  2. Go and bring them over ourselves. Not going to happen.
  3. Make them not want to try in the first place by sending them all back. Why would they try to come when they know they're risking their lives probably for nothing? The problem is so bad because they know we won't turn them away.

Send them back, the problem sorts itself out.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
It'd taste the same do you even know what test tube meat is?

I'd suggest that this points towards some sort of internal conflict and loss of control. You have been hurt by people in the past and didn't know how to deal with it so you are taking it out on the snails as you see them as inferior and you need to feel superior to something.
You do realise that most of the flavour comes from the fats, not the muscle, don't you? Or did you not pay attention was it last year or the year before when it was actually done?
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
S, PM, various other things (tended to want Education).

I'm not an MP though
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.68%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.44%
Not great so far... (212)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (114)
19.19%

Watched Threads