Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    You reckon he's best to go develop his managerial career and experience elsewhere then? Should he try and be a number 2 to an experienced coach or go straight into the deep end?

What happened to Solskjaer after Cardiff?
    I personally think and I'm sure many others share this opinion, is that Giggs should just leave and start his managerial career elsewhere. I know he's been at United his entire life and has a strong connection with the club and may even know the club inside out better than anyone but he has next to no experience to manage a club such as United. Heck, he hasn't even managed the U21s or anything and apart from the 4 games he had as interim boss, barely has anything on his managerial CV. He must be deluded (if reports are true that he thinks he deserves a chance to manage United) if he thinks he can just be handed the United job. Our next manager is crucial and giving it to someone with next to no experience is suicide.

Giggs should go manage Celtic or a championship club. Maybe even a lower league PL side.

Solskjaer is back at Molde and seems to be doing alright. They're placed 4th in their league.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    I personally think and I'm sure many others share this opinion, is that Giggs should just leave and start his managerial career elsewhere. I know he's been at United his entire life and has a strong connection with the club and may even know the club inside out better than anyone but he has next to no experience to manage a club such as United. Heck, he hasn't even managed the U21s or anything and apart from the 4 games he had as interim boss, barely has anything on his managerial CV. He must be deluded (if reports are true that he thinks he deserves a chance to manage United) if he thinks he can just be handed the United job. Our next manager is crucial and giving it to someone with next to no experience is suicide.

Giggs should go manage Celtic or a championship club. Maybe even a lower league PL side.

Solskjaer is back at Molde and seems to be doing alright. They're placed 4th in their league.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess it's tough when he sees managers like Guardiola, Zidane etc being given the chance. Will have been 3 years of being assistant which he probably sees as a long time?

It's a tough league to be given a break or even time.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's tough when he sees managers like Guardiola, Zidane etc being given the chance. Will have been 3 years of being assistant which he probably sees as a long time?

It's a tough league to be given a break or even time.
    Zidane and Guardiola all have experience managing the U21s which is something Giggs has not done. He has next to no experience of being the main man and so therefore he has no right to be taking over at arguably one of the three biggest clubs in the world in Manchester United. He has been part of 2 failed managerial stints as assistant manager, I actually think that whoever comes in next, may tell him to accept a coaching role rather than an assistant manager role or even tell him to pack his bags.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Zidane and Guardiola all have experience managing the U21s which is something Giggs has not done. He has next to no experience of being the main man and so therefore he has no right to be taking over at arguably one of the three biggest clubs in the world in Manchester United. He has been part of 2 failed managerial stints as assistant manager, I actually think that whoever comes in next, may tell him to accept a coaching role rather than an assistant manager role or even tell him to pack his bags.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm a little surprised that Man Utd haven't sorted out who will be in charge next year. You'd imagine other clubs have already started planning and sounding out targets.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They managed the B team, not the U21s

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little surprised that Man Utd haven't sorted out who will be in charge next year. You'd imagine other clubs have already started planning and sounding out targets.
    They may be doing so and not letting the press/media know about it. So many rumours of us and Mourinho having a pre agreement and such. We'll just have to see in the summer.

(Original post by jam277)
    They managed the B team, not the U21s
    Yeah but you get my point. They managed and implemented their footballing styles or at least tried to implement their styles and ideas. Giggs has not done so and has only 4 games under his belt. Also, I would not be confident with Giggs coming up against Pep, Klopp, Conte, Pochettino and heck even Wenger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They may be doing so and not letting the press/media know about it. So many rumours of us and Mourinho having a pre agreement and such. We'll just have to see in the summer.

Yeah but you get my point. They managed and implemented their footballing styles or at least tried to implement their styles and ideas. Giggs has not done so and has only 4 games under his belt. Also, I would not be confident with Giggs coming up against Pep, Klopp, Conte, Pochettino and heck even Wenger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I suppose LVG isn't going to do a Pellegrini..

Nervous about the summer or think Man Utd will get the next big choices right?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose LVG isn't going to do a Pellegrini..

Nervous about the summer or think Man Utd will get the next big choices right?
    Genuinely nervous with any big decisions United have take especially with what's happened the last 3 years.

I personally feel we should be getting Mourinho in and giving him a blank cheque. Hopefully he'll take into account the youth players we have as well (Rashford, Pereira, Fosu-Mensah, Varela and Wilson to name a few) who certainly deserve to be squad players.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely nervous with any big decisions United have take especially with what's happened the last 3 years.

I personally feel we should be getting Mourinho in and giving him a blank cheque. Hopefully he'll take into account the youth players we have as well (Rashford, Pereira, Fosu-Mensah, Varela and Wilson to name a few) who certainly deserve to be squad players.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Second bit in bold won't happen but he'll definitely create a great team. Definitely has created a good spine for both of his Chelsea spells anyway.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It does seem like the sensible plan. You need someone to give you a winning mentality/hard edged to bring you back to the top table. He's not going to be a SAF figure but are we going to see SAF/Wenger type tenures again any time soon?

The summer is going to be ridiculous.. I bet the spending is up by 50% on last year.

ReputationRep:
    Second bit in bold won't happen but he'll definitely create a great team. Definitely has created a good spine for both of his Chelsea spells anyway.
    Sadly this may be true but hopefully he changes which is probably asking for too much. He'll definitely build a great starting 11 which is something we need but generally seems to keep a small squad which is worrying especially if injuries mount up and has a tendency to always play the same starting line up week in week out which may cause fatigue especially with midweek fixtures.

It does seem like the sensible plan. You need someone to give you a winning mentality/hard edged to bring you back to the top table. He's not going to be a SAF figure but are we going to see SAF/Wenger type tenures again any time soon?

The summer is going to be ridiculous.. I bet the spending is up by 50% on last year.
    Yeah the days of SAF and Wenger are done and dusted. Football has changed and due to its high pressure environment managers are expected to deliver or get out. We'll probably see many clubs change managers after 4/5 seasons on a regular basis, well its already/has been happening.

Summer is something to look forward to, definitely! Liverpool will spend big, United will spend big, City will spend big, Chelsea will spend big, Arsenal may spend big on a single player and many of the other PL sides due to the TV deal. We'll see unreal levels of spending.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Summer is something to look forward to, definitely! Liverpool will spend big, United will spend big, City will spend big, Chelsea will spend big, Arsenal may spend big on a single player and many of the other PL sides due to the TV deal. We'll see unreal levels of spending.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not to mention Leicester potentially winning the league and Spurs getting a CL spot. Next season is gonna be absolutely ridiculous. There are so many quality teams that every other game seems to be a big one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Not to mention Leicester potentially winning the league and Spurs getting a CL spot. Next season is gonna be absolutely ridiculous. There are so many quality teams that every other game seems to be a big one.
    Lots of quality teams or everyone just a bit ****?

Was listening to TAW and they made an interest point about how the old guard of controllers who played in the Premier League have either left or are past their best.

When you think you had players like Xabi Alonso, Gareth Barry, Carrick etc who could all control the tempo of the game from the middle.

Now you just have a bunch of teams where you put someone physical or energetic in the middle and everyone runs around like headless chickens.

ReputationRep:

Was listening to TAW and they made an interest point about how the old guard of controllers who played in the Premier League have either left or are past their best.

When you think you had players like Xabi Alonso, Gareth Barry, Carrick etc who could all control the tempo of the game from the middle.

Now you just have a bunch of teams where you put someone physical or energetic in the middle and everyone runs around like headless chickens.
    Chelsea have Fabregas for that role, Arsenal have Cazorla for that role. If anything Chelsea's problems this season comes down to the fact that while they have a controller in the middle, they are lacking a physical box to box player, if they had a Fernandinho to play next to Matic e.g. they'd probably have been doing much better in the first half of the season.

I'd also argue that the premier league has got more physical than it was in the Chelsea/United days.

What you are talking about is a strong/tall deep lying playmaker who's restricted to the deeper areas, which the premier league is lacking(but has lacked for some time). However there are plenty of controllers, they've just changed their role to play higher up the pitch than before.

ReputationRep:

I think it's more a case of teams being much closer together quality wise. Remember back during the "big 4" days when there was a massive gap and look at it now? Now there are 8 teams who could realistically finish in the top 4 places in any one season.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea have Fabregas for that role, Arsenal have Cazorla for that role. If anything Chelsea's problems this season comes down to the fact that while they have a controller in the middle, they are lacking a physical box to box player, if they had a Fernandinho to play next to Matic e.g. they'd probably have been doing much better in the first half of the season.

I'd also argue that the premier league has got more physical than it was in the Chelsea/United days.

What you are talking about is a strong/tall deep lying playmaker who's restricted to the deeper areas, which the premier league is lacking(but has lacked for some time). However there are plenty of controllers, they've just changed their role to play higher up the pitch than before.
    Does Fabregas really control the tempo of a game that well? I thought the issue this season was that Matic and Fabregas can't control games? Carzola has only been playing deeper more recently and Arsenal are still soft in the middle.

I guess with teams pressing so high and often putting an AM on the deep controller player, it's forced teams to play their controller higher up?

Agreed that the league is now more physical and probably faster too.

(Original post by Lúcio)
    I think it's more a case of teams being much closer together quality wise. Remember back during the "big 4" days when there was a massive gap and look at it now? Now there are 8 teams who could realistically finish in the top 4 places in any one season.
    I'm not convinced. The top teams just aren't as good as they were a decade ago. Both in terms of defence and midfield. Obviously the smaller teams have gotten better at defending and perhaps create more too but if it was true that the smaller teams are bridging the game then the performances of English clubs in Europe would be better now.

You don't think the best teams from a decade ago would rinse today's teams? Chelsea had a brilliant XI and squad, Man Utd had some top quality players and a defence which didn't concede. Even Liverpool's 2007-2009 side was pretty damn fine.

ReputationRep:
    Does Fabregas really control the tempo of a game that well?
    When he is playing well he does.

The main problem with him playing in central midfield is that those playing next to him do not cover his weaknesses, especially with Matic being the *****est player in the league this year.

ReputationRep:
    Does Fabregas really control the tempo of a game that well? I thought the issue this season was that Matic and Fabregas can't control games? Carzola has only been playing deeper more recently and Arsenal are still soft in the middle.

I guess with teams pressing so high and often putting an AM on the deep controller player, it's forced teams to play their controller higher up?

Agreed that the league is now more physical and probably faster too.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes Fabregas was bought to actually dictate the tempo of a game, him and Hazard control the tempo of a game. Fabregas usually starts from the deeper positions but Hazard may go infield and drop deep if he is struggling to get space or if the other players are struggling to get the ball out quickly enough.

If you watch Chelsea 13/14 and Chelsea 14/15, you can see the clear difference that you get from having Fabregas playing at a deeper lying position compared to David Luiz. It caused Chelsea to be much better in controlling games when teams decide to bus park/go defensive (about 70% of PL teams who face Chelsea) but you get the disadvantage of the lack of a physical double screen. This is why our defensive record in 14/15 was weaker than in 13/14. Although in the second half of the actual season, Mourinho started to use Zouma in midfield alongside Matic, which allowed that double screen and our performances changed to being much better defensively.

Essentially all I am trying to say is that Chelsea's issues this season (other than Hazard's/Costa's lack of fitness/form)is the lack of a box to box midfielder and we struggle to control games because our central midfield is not physical enough. Teams press us for long periods but we struggle to press them for long periods, when Chelsea do get possession it therefore is in meaningless areas(outside wide channels, middle third with 2 banks of 4 to get through). The other issue is that Chelsea's starting position is too deep and the transition play is subsequently weak because of it, again causing Chelsea to play past 2 banks of 4.

It's also why I'm an advocate of 4-3-3. the 3 attackers are high up the pitch pressing, the 1-2 triangle is harder to get through than the 2-1 triangle when they play deep, but the 1-2 triangle allows 2 people to push onwards when on the attack.

Physicality is a big issue for the Chelsea players, which was why Mourinho tended to get 2 goals and let the foot off the gas, but I would blame him for leaving the squad depth so damn thin at the start of this season...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/firs...-champions-cup

Pre-season games announced. We're facing Chelsea, Milan, and Barca [latter one possibly in Dublin but TBD] in the international champions cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/firs...-champions-cup

Pre-season games announced. We're facing Chelsea, Milan, and Barca [latter one possibly in Dublin but TBD] in the international champions cup.
    Crazy how high profile these pre-season tournaments are becoming.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.