The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And how many of those were lateral a-la-Denilson passes?
Reply 5841
Original post by WhatIsAUsername?
Here's an interesting stat for you:

153 - Xavi completed 153 passes against Zaragoza, just three short of his record of 156 set against Levante in January.

Statistics especially ones like this means jack in the REAL football.
Reply 5842
Original post by Economist
lol. So Guardiola bid 40m for a player to sit on the bench?

Argue that Iniesta and Xavi are marginally better than Cesc all you want (they aren't) but to claim he's nowhere near them is 100% *******s

Sagna is better than Alves and Nasri is better than Pedro, Cesc is a match for Xavi and above Iniesta

Come on mate. Sagna better than Alves? Dani Alves? Now I know you're winding me up.

It's a stupid argument anyway, what Inter players would have got in the Barca team last year? Maicon, Lucio? Our defence is stronger than whatever Barca put out tonight

Maicon, Lucio, Eto'o, probably Cambiasso, possibly Chivu, Cesar...quite a few of their players. None of yours would (as almost everybody else in this thread agrees on - someone earlier said Cesc and RVP would get in their squad, but not in the team).
Reply 5843
Original post by Overmars
Fabregas would be a starter for any team on the planet -- there's no debate to be had.

As for tonight, aw man we're gonna get boned. Really hard. True story.

Did you not watch the world cup?

e: Ok, you've already backpedalled and said you meant any club team. Why would he get in the Barca team if not the Spain team? It's basically the same players keeping him out.
I didn't mean my comment that "no Arsenal players would get in to the Barca team" to start such a debate. As for people saying it is irrelevant - if you are outclassed in every single 1v1 battle on the pitch, and away from home, you can't expect too much. Still, you guys have a one goal lead and stranger things have happened, plus the most hyped games often turn out to be the 0-0s...so you never know. I'm just hoping for a cracker of a game (Y)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5844
Original post by jit987
I don't agree with this.

Also no-one can judge whether a La Liga player will be better or worse playing in EPL and vice-versa.

Tbh i also would have Sagna as a right back than Alves. However, Alves is the better player, just not in that position, he is a winger, the amount of space he leaves behind when he goes on his runs is ridiculous, one effective counter attack would deal with him, e.g Arshavin's goal.
Original post by 419
Statistics especially ones like this means jack in the REAL football.

Lionel Messi has scored 46 goals in 44 games this season.
Xavi completed 153 passes against Zaragoza
Iniesta had the greatest precision and accuracy during the World Cup (passes)
David Villa was joint-top of the score sheet during the World Cup
Barcelone are generally one of the most successful European clubs

Yes, one statistic on its own doesn't count for anything on the pitch but all these combined do great a leathal squad!
I can see this ending up 4-2: Bendtner to score first, you'll keep it tight until the end of the first half, then an own goal from Koscielny starting an inevitable crumble, Nasri to pop up with a late consolation goal at the end. Sorry boys, you gave it your best shot, and Utd in the FA cup next will just make things worse for you.
Original post by M_E_X
Did you not watch the world cup?

e: Ok, you've already backpedalled and said you meant any club team. Why would he get in the Barca team if not the Spain team? It's basically the same players keeping him out.

That's maybe how it works on Football Manager but it doesn't work that way in reality. I've explained why in response to Stu's post.
Reply 5848
Original post by M_E_X
As for people saying it is irrelevant - if you are outclassed in every single 1v1 battle on the pitch

It irrelevant because a lot of thing aren't taken into considerations. Take certain players away from a team and their set up, and they all of a sudden become average. Like some on here a while back was making a claim for Valdes being a very good keeper etc..COME ON!

Also, don't you think that Pedro benefits from all the 5 opponent players Messi takes away with him.

Ps if people do insist on comparing players, at least compare SIMILAR players, Nasri and Pedro are two completely different type of player. Iniesta on the other hand.
Original post by M_E_X
Come on mate. Sagna better than Alves? Dani Alves? Now I know you're winding me up.

Maicon, Lucio, Eto'o, probably Cambiasso, possibly Chivu, Cesar...quite a few of their players. None of yours would (as almost everybody else in this thread agrees on - someone earlier said Cesc and RVP would get in their squad, but not in the team).

Maicon, Lucio and Cesar are the only 3 who'd be in with a shot, Fabregas, Nasri and a fully fit RVP would all be in with a shot, as would Sagna if Barca didn't allow Alves such an advanced role. Alves would not get in our team ahead of Sagna

Would you give Chelsea or Utd any hope because the only players from their squads that would get in would be Vidic+Evra (possibly Nani) and A.Cole
(edited 13 years ago)
If arsenal win tonight, I'll make sure I'll do 6 hours of self-study. Every day. Including weekends and vacations.
On a more serious note though, how come everytime we play Barca away Bendtner is the only striker available. (I know RvP might be fit but I certainly don't see Wenger risking him by allowing him to start. And I'm sure Wenger will give Bendtner the nod ahead of Chamakh). ITS A MASSIVE CONSPIRACY.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5851
Maicon, Lucio and Cesar are the only 3 who'd be in with a shot, Fabregas, Nasri and a fully fit RVP would all be in with a shot, as would Sagna if Barca didn't allow Alves such an advanced role. Alves would not get in our team ahead of Sagna

Would you give Chelsea or Utd any hope because the only players from their squads that would get in would be Vidic+Evra (possibly Nani) and A.Cole

Maicon, Lucio and Cesar would get in to the Barca team (in my opinion). Fabregas, Nasri and RVP certainly would not - I can't see Barca dropping Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro or Villa for one of those three.

For ManU or Chelsea: Van der Sar, Cech, Essien, A Cole, Evra, Vidic, David Luiz, Rooney would all have a good chance of getting in - better than any Arsenal players, anyway. Obviously Barca have a very strong attack and a relatively weak defence (apart from RB) so that's why most of the players I've listed have been defensive players - I do not think any of the offensive Arsenal players you listed would have a chance.

I know that football isn't just a series of 1v1 comparisons, I just thought it was interesting that (in my opinion) not a single Arsenal player would get in to the Barca team. Tonight should be a cracking game, pancakes and then this, what could be better!
Reply 5852
Original post by pinda.college
Lionel Messi has scored 46 goals in 44 games this season.
Xavi completed 153 passes against Zaragoza
Iniesta had the greatest precision and accuracy during the World Cup (passes)
David Villa was joint-top of the score sheet during the World Cup
Barcelone are generally one of the most successful European clubs

Yes, one statistic on its own doesn't count for anything on the pitch but all these combined do great a leathal squad!

The last statement you made is correct and NO ONE sane will argue against the last statement.

But, statistics don't give 1/10000000000000 of the picture.

For all those Messi goals, show me statistics that shows David Villa's/ Pedro's movement off the ball taking away the defenders to create that extra half a yard for him. What this aren't relevant?

Which statistics shows how many of the goals are scored when the opposition are demoralised having done a marathon in chasing after the ball?

For all those passes, how many were over 20 yards and also, how many were good/effective passes. I can remember reading a Tim Vickery (very good footballing blog) blog on BBC a few years back and it was about statistics. Basically,he went on about how in a match, one player made a terrible pass to one of his team mate leading to the team mate giving the ball away to the opponents but the player was still credited with a successful pass.

This is just one example on how statistics NEVER really give a fraction of the picture in a football match. If statistics is anything to go by, you can probably find something that'll suggest Heskey is better than Messi.

Also, World Cup is really irrelevant to club football- a players talent can never really be judged based on a 6 weeks competition.
Original post by M_E_X
Van der Sar, Cech, Essien, A Cole, Evra, Vidic, David Luiz, Rooney would all have a good chance of getting in - better than any Arsenal players, anyway. Obviously Barca have a very strong attack and a relatively weak defence (apart from RB) so that's why most of the players I've listed have been defensive players - I do not think any of the offensive Arsenal players you listed would have a chance.

Yeah, about as much hope as Bendtner, Denilson and Squillaci would :laugh: , can't be bothered to argue anymore, that post has shown you up
Rooney and Essien have been pretty poor this season. Rooney's scored like 3 goals which weren't penalties so far. I'm sure most Man Utd and Chelsea fans would agree
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5855
Yeah, about as much hope as Bendtner, Denilson and Squillaci would :laugh: , can't be bothered to argue anymore, that post has shown you up

You don't think David Luiz or Essien are fantastic players? Both are considered to be amongst the best in their positions in the EPL I think (I know David Luiz has only been here a short time).

And Rooney is world class, but ok. Lump him in with Bendtner and Chamakh if you must.
Reply 5856
Original post by M_E_X
Maicon, Lucio and Cesar would get in to the Barca team (in my opinion). Fabregas, Nasri and RVP certainly would not - I can't see Barca dropping Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro or Villa for one of those three.

For ManU or Chelsea: Van der Sar, Cech, Essien, A Cole, Evra, Vidic, David Luiz, Rooney would all have a good chance of getting in - better than any Arsenal players, anyway. Obviously Barca have a very strong attack and a relatively weak defence (apart from RB) so that's why most of the players I've listed have been defensive players - I do not think any of the offensive Arsenal players you listed would have a chance.

This is a very biased statement.
Original post by M_E_X
You don't think David Luiz or Essien are fantastic players? Both are considered to be amongst the best in their positions in the EPL I think (I know David Luiz has only been here a short time).

And Rooney is world class, but ok. Lump him in with Bendtner and Chamakh if you must.

where do you get this kind of insight from?
Reply 5858
Original post by Hantheman
Rooney and Essien have been pretty poor this season. Rooney's scored like 3 goals which weren't penalties so far. I'm sure most Man Utd and Chelsea fans would agree

I still think he's probably the best in the world in his position.

Ok - this is getting way off topic now :frown:. I realise you guys are bound to have different views to me regarding the quality of the Arsenal players, just like I probably regard Liverpool players higher than you do.

Enjoy the match tonight!

Original post by 419
This is a very biased statement.

I'm a Liverpool fan, so not sure how biased towards ManU I'm likely to be, but ok.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5859
Original post by M_E_X

I'm a Liverpool fan, so not sure how biased towards ManU I'm likely to be, but ok.

You can be biased AGAINST a team you know.

Latest