Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Sorry if this has been answered, could anyone help?

Last year I got 720, 700, 700, 600 (in DA)

I've always done badly on DA as I could never get my head around it

With DA being scrapped this year, does anyone think the cut offs will go up or down? as without it hopefully my average will go up, but I'm worried the cut offs will too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmills)
    Hello!

Sorry if this has been answered, could anyone help?

Last year I got 720, 700, 700, 600 (in DA)

I've always done badly on DA as I could never get my head around it

With DA being scrapped this year, does anyone think the cut offs will go up or down? as without it hopefully my average will go up, but I'm worried the cut offs will too
    It would be logical to think that the cutoffs would be higher this year because there's one less section. The interim scores suggest this too as the scores this year have gone up slightly. But you don't know what to expect by the end of testing? We'll just have to wait and see!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secondarkhan)
    How hard are the QR sections on UKCAT official test made me cry and got ma test tomz
    Many in this thread have said it's much easier than the mocks so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    My ukcat is tomorrow and i'm dreading it, but at the same time cant wait to get it over😂😂, gonna watch like a season of suits afterwards😂😂
    just did mock 3 on medify and got 596 average, so that put a downer on the 733 and 653 i got on mock 2 and 1😓

Anyone have last minute VR advice?😁 thanks😊x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise427)
    My ukcat is tomorrow and i'm dreading it, but at the same time cant wait to get it over😂😂, gonna watch like a season of suits afterwards😂😂
    just did mock 3 on medify and got 596 average, so that put a downer on the 733 and 653 i got on mock 2 and 1😓

Anyone have last minute VR advice?😁 thanks😊x
    VR is brutal.
    QR and AR is quite easy
    SJT is good

ReputationRep:
    to cover up an average ukcat score of 645, what ucas tariff would be recommended?
    not all unis look at tariff points though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    You would be. Looking at GCSEs isn't part of their selection process. They weigh it 50:50 with ukcat and ucas tarrif. The assumption that the average person has 5A* is not necessarily true and even if we were to assume that over every university that's just because people who tend to do well at gcse apply to medicine, not that it has an effect to whether they get the place or not.
    Have you done the ukcat yet and if yes what did you get???
    what are your other statistics in terms of GCSEs and AS, A level predictions.
    where do you want to apply?
    what is your backup choice?

just curious to know what other medicine applicants are doing

ReputationRep:
    writing an outstanding personal statement is difficult. Any useful tips anybody??? pls

ReputationRep:
    hopefully it is, I ll let u know wat happens tmrw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11...)
    writing an outstanding personal statement is difficult. Any useful tips anybody??? pls
    Medify just released a personal statement course. Worth investing in, it like £10 and they review you PS for you after you draft it. Worth a shot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    You would be. Looking at GCSEs isn't part of their selection process. They weigh it 50:50 with ukcat and ucas tarrif. The assumption that the average person has 5A* is not necessarily true and even if we were to assume that over every university that's just because people who tend to do well at gcse apply to medicine, not that it has an effect to whether they get the place or not.
    oh ok! thanks! i was starting to worry because i have selected mainly london medical colleges which tend to be ukcat and gcse heavy so i was worrying if i wasn't going to get an offer. I am predicted 3 A's so i have some hope! just got to wait for my ukcat to be over and done with

ReputationRep:
    heyy can anyone help me out i am a bit confused about something regarding the ucas application?
    do we apply to 4 medical unis and 1 non-medical or can you do another combination?
    i have 4 medical unis but not sure if i need to pick a 5th option or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    heyy can anyone help me out i am a bit confused about something regarding the ucas application?
    do we apply to 4 medical unis and 1 non-medical or can you do another combination?
    i have 4 medical unis but not sure if i need to pick a 5th option or not?
    You don't have to pick a fifth option but many do just in case they want to do something else if they don't get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    You don't have to pick a fifth option but many do just in case they want to do something else if they don't get in.
    ohh ok thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    can anyone please give some tips for the reading comprehension style questions in VR? do you suggest reading the passage then answering the Q's as its more difficult to look for key words in these qs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    can anyone please give some tips for the reading comprehension style questions in VR? do you suggest reading the passage then answering the Q's as its more difficult to look for key words in these qs
    Don't. I scored 770 in VR in the mocks, not the exam yet, but what I did was flag the difficult or wordy questions and go to the easier ones. Look for the keywords by scanning the passage. You won't have time to read the passage and then read the questions and then answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Go through each criteria:
    • Only steel or cement companies (i.e. no textile companies)
    • Turnover more than 1000
    • Profit more than 10% of turnover.
    First limit stock options with the broadest, less calculation-intensive, criteria:
    • Only steel or cement companies 8
    • Turnover more than 1000: Of the 8-1=7
    • Profit more than 10% of turnover of the 7
    • One of the simpler ways to calculate the number of companies where Profit is more than 10% of turnover is by looking at the graph. Any company with its profit 10% more than turnover, must be positioned above an imaginary diagonal that cuts across the graph. We’ve included an annotated diagram below. The blue dotted shapes are above the line and meet the other two criteria.
    Therefore in total 4 companies meet the Investor’s criteria.

did anyone get similar questions in the real QR section for their ukcat???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    Don't. I scored 770 in VR in the mocks, not the exam yet, but what I did was flag the difficult or wordy questions and go to the easier ones. Look for the keywords by scanning the passage. You won't have time to read the passage and then read the questions and then answer them.
    aren't the majority of the questions wordy though? thats why I'm worried *

ReputationRep:
    aren't the majority of the questions wordy though? thats why I'm worried *
    A few of them are but that's why focus on the easy questions first and come back to those later.

ReputationRep:
    Okay now the important thing here, is to first analyse the questions, are they asking things like "what is the best conclusion", "which of these statements are false", you can't skim and scan the text as you require a deeper understanding of it imo! Either guess, flag and move onto easier ones or quickly skim read the passage and when you do this create a mental map in your head of where everything is.
    For questions like "when was X born" or "How long was the book X published" you can scan the text for keywords after reading the question first!
    Tbh its all based on personal preference. The best thing to do is experiment with different approaches and find out one that works for you. Execute this plan in the real thing

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.