Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The government should consider itself lucky...... You could of been out by few votes ....... Hopefully it will be the kick they need to start actually doing stuff....... May it be a warning to you

ReputationRep:
    Apparently fake and pie in the sky 'optimism' is more important than realism.

ReputationRep:
    So the leave camp again claiming any expert is an establishment project fear elitist conspiring against Britain but any expert that supports them is apparnelty a beacon of truth.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Khan's positive message promised in the opening statement lasted about as long as his promise to have no fare increases in London

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Lucas thinks the eu brought democracy to eastern Europe. I thought it was the demos and collapse of the USSR that did that...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "Brought" is the incorrect term, but it certainly secured it by making democracy the pragmatic choice. Spain and Greece had a similar logic for joining.

Though why Lucas is making those kinds of arguments is beyond me. Practically no-one in Britain has any time for the idealistic claptrap associated with the EU. The only consideration is whether Britain and the British people will be better off in or out The idea that we should stay in through some humanitarian notion of spreading democracy, peace and freedom is not going to appeal to anyone save the kinds of hippies who vote for Lucas.

ReputationRep:
    It was a big mistake to not have Gove on the panel, Johnson should not have been there.

I must say Ruth Davidson made quite an impression. I may disagree with what she was saying, but she certainly was passionate, confident and articulate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    It was a big mistake to not have Gove on the panel, Johnson should not have been there.

I must say Ruth Davidson made quite an impression. I may disagree with what she was saying, but she certainly was passionate, confident and articulate.
    After Cameron she's your biggest asset.
    I hate Tories but she'd make me think twice, especially against Corbyn.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    After Cameron she's your biggest asset.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shame she wants to remain north of the border.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Johnson may well have been there to bait remain into personal attacks based on "him only doing it to become PM"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    http://order-order.com/2016/06/21/re...ela-gschaider/

Image if it were a brexiteer making a similar comment about s remainer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    So the leave camp again claiming any expert is an establishment project fear elitist conspiring against Britain but any expert that supports them is apparnelty a beacon of truth.
    To be fair, many are the same experts who said that Britain should join the euro - they were wrong then, what makes them right now? In addition, taking the IMF, for example, they have previously criticised Osborne's austerity budgets, only to be proved wrong by growth and record employment rates. The problem with so-called 'experts' is that they have so often turned out to be wrong.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    http://order-order.com/2016/06/21/re...ela-gschaider/

Image if it were a brexiteer making a similar comment about s remainer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I saw that - perhaps it'll be reported on the BBC like the trouble in Calais...oh wait.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    The government should consider itself lucky...... You could of been out by few votes ....... Hopefully it will be the kick they need to start actually doing stuff....... May it be a warning to you
    Can we say we're under the strict rules of purdah for the EU referendum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    To be fair, many are the same experts who said that Britain should join the euro - they were wrong then, what makes them right now? In addition, taking the IMF, for example, they have previously criticised Osborne's austerity budgets, only to be proved wrong by growth and record employment rates. The problem with so-called 'experts' is that they have so often turned out to be wrong.
    That's a myth, most experts did not support the Euro.

IMF were right and Osborne actually scaled back austerity to get improvements after too much austerity was failing. Also we may well have grown quicker had we had less austerity and inveted more.

But you want to trust a man down the pub more than heavily qualified experts?
    Doctors sometimes get things wrong , does that mean you should never trust them and instead trust a man in the pub?

Mechanics sometimes get things wrong, does that mean we should never trust them and listen to non mechanics instead?

ReputationRep:
    I thought remain loved net figures?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So that funding will be matched from the Treasury then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    So that funding will be matched from the Treasury then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is up to the treasury and how much they want to win the next election

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Change in eligible no. of voters for the EU referendum for...
    ENG: +220,678
    SCO: -111,040
    WAL: -11,011
    NI: +24,190
    GIB: +24,117

Good figures for leave

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that in comparison to the general election?

Remain were always going to win, the question was by how much.

Many of the people who want to vote leave are questioning themselves on the economic implications, especially after the FTSE 100 lost £100bn in 4 days.

I am passionately for Brexit, however if I were able to vote I'd question myself in the polling booth on whether the economic shock would be worth it.
    I'd certainly avoid basing my vote from movements in the stock markets (i'd not be shocked if trading is suspended before lunch) simply because of the panic but your right that for those of us who are not obsessed with immigration it comes down to whether you think the potential for higher long run growth and employment is worth a few bad years.

What's your motivation for leave?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Is that in comparison to the general election?

I'd certainly avoid basing my vote from movements in the stock markets (i'd not be shocked if trading is suspended before lunch) simply because of the panic but your right that for those of us who are not obsessed with immigration it comes down to whether you think the potential for higher long run growth and employment is worth a few bad years.

What's your motivation for leave?
    I believe it's compared to the general

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Decided it was time to shift profile photos, especially as the last one was maybe a little too cute for this place

ReputationRep:
    That is up to the treasury and how much they want to win the next election

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Indeed, a no then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.