Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in uncontrolled immigration for practicality reasons. The EU's immigration system (which, contrary to popular belief touted by xenophobes trying to score political points, is not uncontrolled - far from it) is about right IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for mass immigration. I'm just opposed to diversity and have no interest inviting the third world.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm all for mass immigration. I'm just opposed to diversity and have no interest inviting the third world.
    Mass immigration would work if the migrants were from wealthy, Western nations, not poor ex-Soviet, and third world countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Mass immigration would work if the migrants were from wealthy, Western nations, not poor ex-Soviet, and third world countries.
    But then it wouldn't be mass immigration, as in order for mass immigration to take place there needs to be an incentive for hundreds of thousands of people to move. Between two Western countries that wouldn't happen.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    But then it wouldn't be mass immigration, as in order for mass immigration to take place there needs to be an incentive for hundreds of thousands of people to move. Between two Western countries that wouldn't happen.
    Mass immigration is a mass of people moving, there have still been hundreds of thousands of people moving between rich, Western countries in the last five years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Mass immigration is a mass of people moving, there have still been hundreds of thousands of people moving between rich, Western countries in the last five years.
    Mass immigration in common parlance refers to a situation like there has been between the UK and Poland, for example, since 2004, where a load of people of all types from one country move to another to find work with very few going the opposite way. While there is a lot of immigration between rich Western countries, for the most part it's of either retirees or upper- and middle-class people with no pressing financial incentive, and it's not on anything approaching the scale from Eastern Europe, and indeed now the Middle East, to Western Europe.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Mass immigration in common parlance refers to a situation like there has been between the UK and Poland, for example, since 2004, where a load of people of all types from one country move to another to find work with very few going the opposite way. While there is a lot of immigration between rich Western countries, for the most part it's of either retirees or upper- and middle-class people with no pressing financial incentive, and it's not on anything approaching the scale from Eastern Europe, and indeed now the Middle East, to Western Europe.
    I would list the example of a million Britons moving to Australia since the 1970s as an example of mass immigration between Western countries, but I will reword my comment to state unlimited immigration if it would make you happier.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on your definition but i still think we can have a fairly high net immigration rate of 100,000+ while drawing primarily from the developed world. I'd significantly relax border controls with developed Asia, Australasia and North America so that we had a pool of a billion people who were not an ethno-cultural threat while being extremely stringent to those outside these source states.

I'd make it simply that we need..

-Proof of no criminal record
    -Proof of GCSE grade C equivalent
    -£10k per person
    -Born in (insert list of eligible countries)

They'd then be reviewed after 2 years at which time if they have full time employment for 12 months they get permanent residency, if not they get deported.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I suppose it depends on your definition but i still think we can have a fairly high net immigration rate of 100,000+ while drawing primarily from the developed world. I'd significantly relax border controls with developed Asia, Australasia and North America so that we had a pool of a billion people who were not an ethno-cultural threat while being extremely stringent to those outside these source states.

I'd make it simply that we need..

-Proof of no criminal record
    -Proof of GCSE grade C equivalent
    -£10k per person
    -Born in (insert list of eligible countries)

They'd then be reviewed after 2 years at which time if they have full time employment for 12 months they get permanent residency, if not they get deported.
    I'd rather we left the EU and instead ask

~Proof of no criminal record
    ~Ability to speak English (or willingness to learn)
    ~Mandatory citizenship tests within 6 months of stay
    ~Born in the commonwealth
    ~Limit net immigration at 80,000 per year

Personally, I value commonwealth immigration more than any other. I have a severe disliking of elitism and the belief that western countries are superior. We've had a massive cultural boost from commonwealth immigration in the past and even in the present, and there's much more to be gained in the future from it. We would also increase ties with these other countries and gain influence diplomatically as well as use our ID and Foreign aid budget to further induce positive change.

ReputationRep:
    Really? You mostly come across as a straight Green Party type person.

United is more unconventional.
    Can't beat unconventional.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I saved the long drawn out resignation for the Sub so I guess I'll leave the rest of the house with this:

I ain't marching anymore

ReputationRep:
    What are you resigning?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    What are you resigning?
    MP and Chancellorship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    MP and Chancellorship.
    Sorry to hear that. Just don't have the time any more?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sorry to hear that. Just don't have the time any more?
    Yep, I've been doing up to and above 90 hour weeks at work. The money's good but I don't really have the time to spend it or time to spend on here.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I've been doing up to and above 90 hour weeks at work. The money's good but I don't really have the time to spend it or time to spend on here.
    Gross. Well, best of luck. I really hope you enjoy your job with 90 hour weeks.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Gross. Well, best of luck. I really hope you enjoy your job with 90 hour weeks.
    It's alright, a bit stressful and in all honesty this place hasn't really been the bundle of laughs it once was either.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck for the future.

Are you aware of my request to join you yet?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by lustawny)
    Are you aware of my request to join you yet?
    I am, I saw it late last night which means I'm still waiting for the CT to run a dupe-check.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.