Maths Uni Chat Watch

SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm definitely an atheist, but I think Lent is a good idea.
Meteorshower
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lent is a similar sort of thing to New years resolutions in my opinion, and they're hardly a religious thing.

I can't really think of what to give up for lent, apart from maybe debating...
SimonM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Meteorshower)
Lent is a similar sort of thing to New years resolutions in my opinion, and they're hardly a religious thing.

I can't really think of what to give up for lent, apart from maybe debating...
Except the whole "end of Lent" makes it so much easier to actually be successful.

I gave up playing games on my phone and Coke (and similar fizzy drinks, not decided on where to draw the line, (I'm practically living off Lucozade Energy atm))
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SimonM)
Except the whole "end of Lent" makes it so much easier to actually be successful.

I gave up playing games on my phone and Coke (and similar fizzy drinks, not decided on where to draw the line, (I'm practically living off Lucozade Energy atm))
The only proper one I can think of is to try and go to all my lectures, but I think that's a stupid idea because sometimes that assessed tutorial sheet that you've spent 9 hours on already just needs that little bit extra time...

(not been a good week :p:)
Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm giving up lager. Unfortunately, this means I am back on the Guinness although on the plus side, this ties in with Paddy's day next week.
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok maybe I should give up bridge/guess whist, been playing like 4+ hours a day.
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Meteorshower)
Ok maybe I should give up bridge/guess whist, been playing like 4+ hours a day.
Mature student? :P
Meteorshower
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
Mature student? :P
No, i'm 19

I get semi-addicted to strange things
assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
Literally, that is the worst notation I have ever seen.
All Actuarial Maths notation is ridiculous. Umlauts, and 'shacks', and 1s hovering over slightly different parts of the subscripts which entirely changes the meaning of the whole bloody thing. Sometimes you just don't put a 1 at all, and instead use a line (which, incidentally, looks a helluva lot like a 1) but which has no meaning related to the use of the 1. Urgh.

Also lololol my AmV lecturer wore his v-neck jumper back-to-front on Friday. SO. FUNNY.
wanderlust.xx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
RHUL maths lecturers seem like they're getting jiggy with each other. Incidentally, our stats lec is married to the stats lec from Kings, and the people who're studying the same fields are pairing off - real analysis, group, graph and algorithmic theory...

Stupid rumours or truth within madness?
CdotS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi there, my name is Shay, im hoping to study mathematics with management at southampton in october...i was wondering if any1 could recommend a good textbook which relates to my 1st year modules that i could use to do sum maths revision in the summer and get a head start ahead of uni...any recommendations?
ForGreatJustice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CdotS)
Hi there, my name is Shay, im hoping to study mathematics with management at southampton in october...i was wondering if any1 could recommend a good textbook which relates to my 1st year modules that i could use to do sum maths revision in the summer and get a head start ahead of uni...any recommendations?
Hello, you should create a serperate thread for this question, in which people would be happy to answer. I'm sure you understand we cannot have this as a general question thread since it would be filled with such questions.
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CdotS)
This is probably best asked in the Southampton subforum - I don't think there are many (if any) Southampton students in this thread so we probably won't be much help to you.
CdotS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ForGreatJustice)
Hello, you should create a serperate thread for this question, in which people would be happy to answer. I'm sure you understand we cannot have this as a general question thread since it would be filled with such questions.
oo ok..sorry i'm new to studentroom
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
RHUL maths lecturers seem like they're getting jiggy with each other. Incidentally, our stats lec is married to the stats lec from Kings, and the people who're studying the same fields are pairing off - real analysis, group, graph and algorithmic theory...

Stupid rumours or truth within madness?
Probably true... maths is incredibly incestuous!
ambience
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At Cambridge, when people get their results for the IA Maths exams, do they include "you came in xth place"?

And do they include merit mark and raw mark as well as class?

ambie
ForGreatJustice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, we get ranked, and get all the marks and stuff
ambience
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ForGreatJustice)
Yes, we get ranked, and get all the marks and stuff
Thanks - and how is the info given to each student? Camcors? Camsis? Email? Pigeonhole? Surely it's not all publicly announced at Senate House?
ForGreatJustice
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The data is on camcors or camsis (I didn't even know there are two seperate things?) Also your DoS gets a more specific mark break down paper by paper and such, which they may choose to give out ( mine did at least)

At senate house, all there is are the class lists, in alphabetical order in the classes, so not much information is there
harr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ambience)
At Cambridge, when people get their results for the IA Maths exams, do they include "you came in xth place"?

And do they include merit mark and raw mark as well as class?

ambie
I've never been told my rank, though some people I know have been. Percentages come up on CamSIS at some point, while your DoS should be sent a breakdown by question (which he'll probably send you).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads