Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Spurs seem to be packing their midfield when they're in need of a striker.

Parker, Dembele, Holtby, Sigurdson, Paulinho, Sandro, Carroll, Huddlestone, Livemore, and I think they signed a new guy from FC Twente.
    Thing is though, they've got some good players there, a good striker would make them pretty challenging if they keep Bale, slightly worrying seeing our inactivity so far.

ReputationRep:
    giroud will bag 21 goals nxt season quote me lads 22nd july 2013 8pm dont piss me off

dont doubt the lad

ReputationRep:
    Giroud is top 4 quality, but is not top 2 quality.

We will consistently finish around the 4th spot if we have Giroud as our main striker.

Giroud should be a quality backup to our main striker. Maybe play two strikers if we are chasing a goal at home.

ReputationRep:
    Giroud has looked good pre season but wait till real footballs back and defenders are getting stuck into him again and see if he still shows the same levels of confidence and composure or if he goes back to moaning at the ref and puffing his cheeks out all game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Giroud has looked good pre season but wait till real footballs back and defenders are getting stuck into him again and see if he still shows the same levels of confidence and composure or if he goes back to moaning at the ref and puffing his cheeks out all game
    what has Giroud ever done to you, he gives 100% every game. It sounds like you want him to fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    what has Giroud ever done to you, he gives 100% every game. It sounds like you want him to fail.
    Are you a Chelsea or arsenal fan btw? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing I am just saying don't get carried away because hes bagging vs pub teams, dunno why you feel the need to passionately jump to the defence of the club/players/manager whenever someone says the slightest thing but carry on because you obviously enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    i've said this before and I'll say it again. Watch Giroud turn out like Drgoba. They've both taken similar path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    i've said this before and I'll say it again. Watch Giroud turn out like Drgoba. They've both taken similar path.
    Wow thats a big call! I do think he deserves a lot more credit than he gets but I think thats just because we have been ****ed over numerous times by players who show so much promise but don't ever deliver. I do think Giroud will become a better rounded player and will score more next season. Regardless of that though we need another striker because without him our team suddenly lacks any threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    Are you a Chelsea or arsenal fan btw? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How dare you associate my name with chelsea, I'm a gooner till I die. I'm joking tho I'm an Arsenal fan in all seriousness

Nothing I am just saying don't get carried away because hes bagging vs pub teams, dunno why you feel the need to passionately jump to the defence of the club/players/manager whenever someone says the slightest thing but carry on because you obviously enjoy it
    I'm aware the opposition is weak but Giroud technique and movement has improved. I appreciate Giroud, he always has a positive attitude and like I said he always gives 100% when he plays for Arsenal which I admire. If the criticism is valid I won't say anything but most people are seeing Giroud's goals a source of optimism rather than negativity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    So you think he'd be good for us then? He's only 5'4 which is extremely worrying for the EPL.
    His size is a worry. But he's very good and has the potential to be very, very good. He COULD potentially be a good buy for us, but 20 mil is a lot to risk on that I agree. I don't even believe he's got any link with arsenal anyway, I think his agent is just trying to drum up interest from European clubs cos its known that he'd like to play there some day and now Atlético have put a 20mil price on his head.

ReputationRep:
    How dare you associate my name with chelsea, I'm a gooner till I die. I'm joking tho I'm an Arsenal fan in all seriousness

I'm aware the opposition is weak but Giroud technique and movement has improved. I appreciate Giroud, he always has a positive attitude and like I said he always gives 100% when he plays for Arsenal which I admire. If the criticism is valid I won't say anything but most people are seeing Giroud's goals a source of optimism rather than negativity.
    I didn't say it was a negative but half his problems last year was that he struggled to impose himself on the game physically and ended up short of confidence and making mistakes and no amount of goals vs Vietnam is gonna sort that out tbh. I certainly dont want him to fail though I dont buy a season ticket to go and root against our players believe it or not

ReputationRep:
    How do you find a player competent enough to perform at CB for Arsenal and willing to be 4th choice ? .
    Buy a player with ambition and tell him of he performs well, he won't be 4th choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    I guess so, but having a large sum of money shouldn't mean you should overpay for players which is what it seems Napoli have done. Arsenal were flirting with the £20M figure while Napoli have gone right in with a £30M offer. No doubt Real are laughing.
    Tbfh just because Arsenal have bid 20mil, doesn't mean that Madrid were going to accept anything near that figure. Higuian wants to leave but Madrid seem relatively keen to keep him. Maybe Napoli have had more luck with negotiations and got closer to the mark that Madrid would accept?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say it was a negative but half his problems last year was that he struggled to impose himself on the game physically and ended up short of confidence and making mistakes and no amount of goals vs Vietnam is gonna sort that out tbh. I certainly dont want him to fail though I dont buy a season ticket to go and root against our players believe it or not
    Fair enough, But Giroud must have improved the weak areas of his game in training. A strike partnership of Suarez and Giroud would be beast imo

(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Buy a player with ambition and tell him of he performs well, he won't be 4th choice?
    Verm can't even dislodge the Mert-Kos partnership when will the player get an opportunity to perform. He may have the ambition but I doubt a player like that has the ability. Much like a second choice Goalkeeper

ReputationRep:
    I'm becoming very worried.

Spurs have signed Paulinho and looks like they're going to get Soldado now as well .

If they sign those two players, I think they have a better squad than us.

Hopefully we'll get Higuain but if not, why don't we just go in for Soldado?

ReputationRep:
    I think at least in part that this is due to the process of settling in to the EPL. It's definitely a more physical league, and he has the attributes to do well in it, but it is a change in mentality which takes time. A lot of great strikers, including Henry and RvP, had shaky first years. What I do think is that in his first season his link up play was excellent and that, at the end of the season when he got sent off and had the suspension for those 3 games, we really missed him. You could notice that without him there wasn't really a focal point to the attack so much. Even without him scoring so much, he was doing a good job of creating play off him (I think Walcott particularly enjoys this as, with defenders being sucked on to Giroud, there is space behind and Giroud's flick-ons and links have been very good). If he's adding goals to his game, and pre-season definitely suggests he is, then he can be a very good striker indeed.

What most of us are saying, I think, is that Giroud is a good player getting better, and we all expect him to have a better season this year than last, and I think a lot of people who don't follow Arsenal so closely don't quite get this. However, I think we all agree that he alone isn't going to get the job done. We need strength in depth, and we also just need a bit of exceptional quality in the squad. Our truly exceptional player is Wilshere. A couple more of these, and a Suarez would classify as that, could give us title chances I think. I still see this as being a transitional year. If we can be in the running for it, then even not winning will give the boys great belief and experience for the year after, particularly if we can strengthen again. What's killing us just now is that we're not even close and I think a lot of belief has been lost inside in the club. A couple marquee signings might just give us back that belief - certainly seems so from what I've read from the players in the press over the last month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Ideally, you'd want a young player coming through the academy for 4th choice. Like Miquel but I'm not sure if he's ready yet. Man UTD have a good scenario with Jones and Smalling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    I'm becoming very worried.

Spurs have signed Paulinho and looks like they're going to get Soldado now as well .

If they sign those two players, I think they have a better squad than us.

Hopefully we'll get Higuain but if not, why don't we just go in for Soldado?
    Soldado would be a complete panic buy He's 28 years old and not going to take us to the next level. Heard they're paying 25m which is more than RVP cost...

I know alot of Arsenal fans have the attitude that 'we must buy someone, anyone!'' but if we cant get a player who can take us significantly closer to a title then I'd prefer we just let Giroud have a go and bring in some outstanding midfielders.

---

This does beg the question of where exactly Spurs get the dosh from? 25m already this summer with no CL football and limited commercial/match day streams. And they've been doing it for a decade, theyve outspent us by about 4 times IIRC which is crazy. Their chairman is loaded though so I'd actually call Spurs, like Liverpool, as a semi-sugardaddy club. Only Utd and AFC genuinely pay their own way.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.