Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    can someone help with this bio question pls??

"suggest why maltose is much more soluble in water than starch" [3marks] [OCR exam board]

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! Another current year 12 here! Taking OCR Chemistry and Physics, and AQA Biology and Psychology A. The end goal is Medicine.

Anyone else taking OCR Physics and struggling a bit at the moment? I'm learning everything in all my other subjects really quickly but finding Physics quite daunting and I need stuff explaining like 2 or 3 times :/

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else involved in the Debating Matters competition? We had our qualifier tonight. My team won, but my two friends lost, so we didn't get through. At last I can relax now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MollyMcFly1)
    Hiya! Another current year 12 here! Taking OCR Chemistry and Physics, and AQA Biology and Psychology A. The end goal is Medicine.

Anyone else taking OCR Physics and struggling a bit at the moment? I'm learning everything in all my other subjects really quickly but finding Physics quite daunting and I need stuff explaining like 2 or 3 times :/
    Yup physics is horrible atm and my only subject that I am struggling with, but I think that's just because of the massive leap from gcse that my other subjects don't initially have , most of my friends aren't finding it particularly easy don't worry about it ! It should get better with practise and will make more sense when we learn more stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    Anyone else involved in the Debating Matters competition? We had our qualifier tonight. My team won, but my two friends lost, so we didn't get through. At last I can relax now!
    My school is entering it I think, and I sort of want to be on the team but debating lessons clash with Critical Thinking for me, which is a pain considering how well the two go together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pabblethefish)
    Ah, I'm similar! But I'm geography, chemistry, physics and maths
    That really is similar! Any idea what you plan to do degree-wise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cluck)
    Ah, that's it - ours are 65 minutes. I miss the 50 min ones we had at secondary, they were a better length for concentration, for me at least!
    I find 50 minute lessons to be a good length for concentration - the majority are doubles, so 100 minutes, but we tend to have a short 'break' in the middle. The teachers are quite nice about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsjmcgrath)
    My school is entering it I think, and I sort of want to be on the team but debating lessons clash with Critical Thinking for me, which is a pain considering how well the two go together.
    It's tough work and a long evening, but was definitely worth it! I get a badge out of it too so I'm happy enough.

ReputationRep:
    It's tough work and a long evening, but was definitely worth it! I get a badge out of it too so I'm happy enough.
    It sounds really fun to me, because I love arguments and debating. But it's just that I'm in one of the two Critical Thinking classes which clashes with "enrichment" lessons, so I have to do debating after school and sort of ad. lib. with a few of the other stranded "Critical Debaters" if I want to fit the two in. It's really annoying though as the debating teacher is amazing. Ooo, I'd like a badge.

Completely off topic, but I'm also set to take up Conducting classes tomorrow, should be interesting. I've always admired conductors in orchestras and what-not, it looks incredibly complex but I can imagine it would also be quite rewarding. Hopefully it'll improve my sight reading too so I can actually play in the bands as well, not just conduct them or listen to them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeFailFish)
    I find 50 minute lessons to be a good length for concentration - the majority are doubles, so 100 minutes, but we tend to have a short 'break' in the middle. The teachers are quite nice about it.
    Oh do I have quite long lessons then. My doubles are 120 minutes and its dependant upon the teacher if you get a break or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsjmcgrath)
    It sounds really fun to me, because I love arguments and debating. But it's just that I'm in one of the two Critical Thinking classes which clashes with "enrichment" lessons, so I have to do debating after school and sort of ad. lib. with a few of the other stranded "Critical Debaters" if I want to fit the two in. It's really annoying though as the debating teacher is amazing. Ooo, I'd like a badge.

Completely off topic, but I'm also set to take up Conducting classes tomorrow, should be interesting. I've always admired conductors in orchestras and what-not, it looks incredibly complex but I can imagine it would also be quite rewarding. Hopefully it'll improve my sight reading too so I can actually play in the bands as well, not just conduct them or listen to them!
    Debating has taken up a lot of my time recently, but it definitely is worth it!

Oh lordy I hate classical music and orchestra. :s

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like something I'd be interested in, but nobody else in my school is interested in debating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pabblethefish)
    I haven't been on here in too long! How is everyone? Are you happy with your GCSE results? What subjects are you all doing now?
    I'm okay with my GCSEs, changed a levels though...

Three sciences and french!

You?
    The author is Albert Camus, one of the most famous French writers. I have this at the house and we study it at A2 French and English.Lit.
    Oh yeah! Sorry, dull moment

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody had mocks yet ? -- like little class tests... but all the topics you have covered so far ?

I think we have some for all of our subjects near the end of half term.... it has flown by...

We have finished around/nearly... 4 topics out of 6 .. in bio and chem
    a fair chunk of physics is done....
    and the FM class are well into it....

i think all of the first few modules e.g. B1 C1 P1..for he sciences and C1 M1 and a bit of FP1 .... will be finished by half term

how is everyone elses lessons panning out ?

Ryan
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    Has anybody had mocks yet ? -- like little class tests... but all the topics you have covered so far ?

I think we have some for all of our subjects near the end of half term.... it has flown by...

We have finished around/nearly... 4 topics out of 6 .. in bio and chem
    a fair chunk of physics is done....
    and the FM class are well into it....

i think all of the first few modules e.g. B1 C1 P1..for he sciences and C1 M1 and a bit of FP1 .... will be finished by half term

how is everyone elses lessons panning out ?

Ryan
    Had a maths mock on the first 5 chapters of C1 - got 100% on that but it was basically just on topics from Gcses.

Had my first economics test today and everyone in the class struggled for time. I finished ( with about 10 seconds to spare) but I only filled about a quarter of the space for some of the questions because I was struggling for time so much - not looking forward to getting the mark back for that one. The only consolation is the teahcer said last years class did the same test and the highest mark in the class was 20% !!!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    X
    You can put me down for AQA English Lit and Geography and Edexcel Economics and maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    :facepalm: don't even...
    (Original post by twisted)
    Yep and they run out way too fast, bad investment
    Tried it and thew it away after 5 mins of using it... Strange experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mccrae01)
    Had a maths mock on the first 5 chapters of C1 - got 100% on that but it was basically just on topics from Gcses.

Had my first economics test today and everyone in the class struggled for time. I finished ( with about 10 seconds to spare) but I only filled about a quarter of the space for some of the questions because I was struggling for time so much - not looking forward to getting the mark back for that one. The only consolation is the teahcer said last years class did the same test and the highest mark in the class was 20% !!!
    Well done on your maths test!

i had a bio exam like this ... i did well and truley fail ...
    but thats not as bad as some of my physics practical lessons .... we have done around 4 practicals....and i think i have around 3 2 3 3 out of 10 respectuflly ...
    so you can see i am not getting too far lol
    you lose marks for accuracy and silly little things .... grr

Ryan

ReputationRep:
    I've now lost my only free of the two weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    Tried it and thew it away after 5 mins of using it... Strange experience
    Wasn't too bad, nothing like a real pipe though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.