The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why must sleep evade mee.

I haven't actually paid that much attention, has Farron confirmed whether he's standing for leader or not yet? I'm sure he was going to decide by end of this week. Tenseee
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Little Toy Gun)
How can you speak with any authority about how anyone, anything but you feel?

How can you even know Aph is not a fox?
I know that people's brains function in a similar way to my own. I cannot say that about a fox.

When until recently the idea that people were conscious was a toxic subject in biology and Neuroscience to casually talk about a fox's feelings is just silly.
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
I know that people's brains function in a similar way to my own. I cannot say that about a fox.

When until recently the idea that people were conscious was a toxic subject in biology and Neuroscience to casually talk about a fox's feelings is just silly.
It's just an assumption that the feeling you feel is similar to the feeling other people feel. And there indeed are studies on the brains of other animals, whether they have feelings and whether they may have consciousness.

Regardless, it's pretty much established that they can feel pain which is what most people focus on.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's just an assumption that the feeling you feel is similar to the feeling other people feel. And there indeed are studies on the brains of other animals, whether they have feelings and whether they may have consciousness.

Regardless, it's pretty much established that they can feel pain which is what most people focus on.
It's established pain occurs, it's not established they "feel" it.
Blue Meltwater
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
  • I have yet to hear a coherent argument against TTIP, and as such have been given no reason to fear or oppose it.
  • As for the med, it isn't brutal, it's the most sensible solution as I shall go into below
Spoiler:
Show
So, what is the problem in the Med, at least from the liberal perspective? People drowning.
Why are they drowning? Illegal immigration attempts gone wrong.
How do you stop this? Make them not try.
How do you do this? Well, one of three ways:
  1. Wait until they're all here anyway. Improbably going to happen, people will just come from elsewhere, still involves lots being killed.
  2. Go and bring them over ourselves. Not going to happen.
  3. Make them not want to try in the first place by sending them all back. Why would they try to come when they know they're risking their lives probably for nothing? The problem is so bad because they know we won't turn them away.

Send them back, the problem sorts itself out.
Just to address these two points:

My main concern over TTIP is the degree to which corporate power will begin to usurp the power of elected governments. Most concerning is how corporations may be able to sue governments if they take action which threatens their profits - anything from nationalising an area of the economy to introducing plain packaging on cigarettes, the latter of which has been a prominent case in Australia recently where tobacco companies have been able to threaten the Australian government over their policies. Even fi you disagree with these examples, it's surely wrong for transnational companies to wield this much power. I also fear that the 'harmonisation' of regulations will essentially mean losing hard-fought for measures we have today, such as those protecting human rights and the environment.

As for the migrant crisis, I'd suggest resolving the problems which cause people to migrate in such numbers rather than 'stop them trying.' But in the absence of imminent world peace and an end to poverty, I take a humanitarian response: Europe has the capacity to help these people and I therefore think we should, however we can.
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In other news, NATO (at least their foreign ministers) seem to have let themselves go recently...

Putin and ISIS must be shaking in their boots.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How can you even know Aph is not a fox?
He is
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
He is
:yep: rare pic of me on a night out
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
Just to address these two points:

My main concern over TTIP is the degree to which corporate power will begin to usurp the power of elected governments. Most concerning is how corporations may be able to sue governments if they take action which threatens their profits - anything from nationalising an area of the economy to introducing plain packaging on cigarettes, the latter of which has been a prominent case in Australia recently where tobacco companies have been able to threaten the Australian government over their policies. Even fi you disagree with these examples, it's surely wrong for transnational companies to wield this much power. I also fear that the 'harmonisation' of regulations will essentially mean losing hard-fought for measures we have today, such as those protecting human rights and the environment.

As for the migrant crisis, I'd suggest resolving the problems which cause people to migrate in such numbers rather than 'stop them trying.' But in the absence of imminent world peace and an end to poverty, I take a humanitarian response: Europe has the capacity to help these people and I therefore think we should, however we can.
The EU already makes it illegal to nationalise stuff.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
for **** sake. Chucka and Jarvis have stepped aside. labour has no hope. Kill me.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
for **** sake. Chucka and Jarvis have stepped aside. labour has no hope. Kill me.
Chucka's out?

It's gotta be Andy Burnham. For me it wad going to be Burnham vs Chucka

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting that chuka has decided not to go for it.

Gotta ta hope that labour head to its socalist roots. Only way it can win again. They just can't our Tory the torys.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Aww well done! When's your next?
Tuesday, my second Religion paper. How are yours going? I think mine would go better if I wasn't feeling like a crazy person.

(Original post by bun)
I'm not big on sympathy I'm afraid. We don't do emotion in my family So I'll say what I always do when I'm trying to be sympathetic - it be reight

I hope you appreciate the effort it took for me to write that

More seriously though, glad it seemed to go ok - it's the weekend soon!
Hey, I appreciate it.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
Tuesday, my second Religion paper. How are yours going? I think mine would go better if I wasn't feeling like a crazy person.

Hey, I appreciate it.
Mine are going pretty dreadfully so far tbh - economics which was my first was alright I think - M3 disaster, and FP1 was ok I think - just had a shocker on the day!
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Chucka's out?

It's gotta be Andy Burnham. For me it wad going to be Burnham vs Chucka

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know what Burnham stands for though. His speech talked about united people, getting to Labour's beating heart blah blah and not simply moving left or right. What does that even mean? of course Labour have a choice of moving left or right.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mine are going pretty dreadfully so far tbh - economics which was my first was alright I think - M3 disaster, and FP1 was ok I think - just had a shocker on the day!
I heard that Maths has been a disaster, people were crying in my school
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know what Burnham stands for though. His speech talked about united people, getting to Labour's beating heart blah blah and not simply moving left or right. What does that even mean? of course Labour have a choice of moving left or right.
Given he's supposed to be the guy the unions are backing I wouldn't be surprised if it's "I'm going to shift to the left, but not explicitly say it"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
I heard that Maths has been a disaster, people were crying in my school
Awww, well, I knew that M3 was always going to be a disaster, so when it came to the show that questions I did as much as I could, got to an equation way different to the 'show that', and then wrote: "This rearrangement is so easy I'm not going to bother doing it..." then wrote the answer!
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Awww, well, I knew that M3 was always going to be a disaster, so when it came to the show that questions I did as much as I could, got to an equation way different to the 'show that', and then wrote: "This rearrangement is so easy I'm not going to bother doing it..." then wrote the answer!
Fair play!
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Given he's supposed to be the guy the unions are backing I wouldn't be surprised if it's "I'm going to shift to the left, but not explicitly say it"

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was my assumption. To be honest left or right is toxic for labour now.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
10%
No (9)
90%

Watched Threads