The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
MacDaddi
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
At least he apologised
I know. Some would say he's jumped into bed with the Tories for power, but he has delivered a relatively stable majority government which we desperately needed coming out of the financial crisis.

He's probably one of the most transparent politicians there is in the mainstream at the moment, but nobody believes him any more
Will95206
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MacDaddi)
:facepalm2:
Lol, sorry had to be done!

I was actually going to put 'I'm Sorry' for the Libs XD But since they're name change I thought perhaps they didn't want to be reminded... of this...

So what of the greens and Libers? We could even add to the Wikis! (Only joking!)
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know. Some would say he's jumped into bed with the Tories for power, but he has delivered a relatively stable majority government which we desperately needed coming out of the financial crisis.

He's probably one of the most transparent politicians there is in the mainstream at the moment, but nobody believes him any more
I always liked Clegg. You know... before. He stills seems rather competent but I don't like how he's suckied up teh centre-ground and is losing the battle on Europe.

(Original post by Will95206)
Lol, sorry had to be done!

So what of the greens and Libers? We could even add to the Wikis! (Only joking!)
Libers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIfvwwPSHCI
Greens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqgSCENn03Y

MacDaddi
Report 4 years ago
I always liked Clegg. You know... before. He stills seems rather competent but I don't like how he's suckied up teh centre-ground and is losing the battle on Europe.
I do too, I would quite like to meet him. I've seen him in a few interviews and he does know what he's talking. Well there's got to be somebody fighting for the other side. There is only one side at the moment, Farage and the shouty populists are getting their way at the moment.

"Vote UKIP", "LibLabCon", "betrayed", "traitors", "The Establishment", "mass immigration" have now become things you can't argue against; it makes me ill.
MacDaddi
Report 4 years ago

Libers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIfvwwPSHCI
Greens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqgSCENn03Y

Ahaha reminded me of a song for the Libers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pKXcDrmjFk
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
O course Britain is relatively centre but British Liberalism tends to be more 'liberal' than liberalism in the rest of the world. I perhaps should have said the death of the Liberal Party, as UKIP gains traction on Tories and Labour either veers to the right or left (as can be execute over the next few elections) the centre ground begins to feel like a decidedly lonely place.

By damaging his personal credibility Clegg has also damaged the faith in what he believes in, namely EU membership and integration.
Ah.

I guess the question is what happens to the Libs post Clegg. Personally I don't expect them to get below 14% anyway (what they've managed in locals) so they'll probably rise to 20% again once he goes.

With that said I don't think liberalism requires the center ground per say, parts of the left in Labour are hippy like liberals while the Tories have a few pretty pure liberals. Equally I think socially the Libs are as liberal today (or what they'd do with a majority) as they were with Kennedy.

I do wonder if we will see a similar situation to the US with the Tories screwing themselves out of government but then again there's no guarantee they won't screw the right by going for somebody more like Cameron.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do too, I would quite like to meet him. I've seen him in a few interviews and he does know what he's talking. Well there's got to be somebody fighting for the other side. There is only one side at the moment, Farage and the shouty populists are getting their way at the moment.

"Vote UKIP", "LibLabCon", "betrayed", "traitors", "The Establishment", "mass immigration" have now become things you can't argue against; it makes me ill.
UKIP are Neo-Liberal, extra-right wing (both economically and socially), NHS destroying, oddballs. But they're gaining success because Farage has convinced everyone he's an ordinary guy. What's worse is a lot of UKIP support identify as left of centre but are against the 'establishment'. Farage, the scapegoating nonce touts the immigration horn as the reason for all our problems to defend his rich, elitist, friends in the city. The reason we have (in RL) austerity, the reason public services are being mercilessly cut isn't because the strain of immigration its because the bankers cocked up and still we pay for their mistakes. An unimaginable debt (and 40bil interest a year on it) - a gift that should have been a loan. And so, Farage, a wolf in sheep's clothing may well prance into Westminster come 2015. I weep for the unthinking populist foundations of British Politics.

There, rant over.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Ah.

I guess the question is what happens to the Libs post Clegg. Personally I don't expect them to get below 14% anyway (what they've managed in locals) so they'll probably rise to 20% again once he goes.

With that said I don't think liberalism requires the center ground per say, parts of the left in Labour are hippy like liberals while the Tories have a few pretty pure liberals. Equally I think socially the Libs are as liberal today (or what they'd do with a majority) as they were with Kennedy.

I do wonder if we will see a similar situation to the US with the Tories screwing themselves out of government but then again there's no guarantee they won't screw the right by going for somebody more like Cameron.
Hmmm, I think that may be an optimistic outlook. I don't really see anyone lining up to be the leader who can inspire confidence again (except *maybe* the Chairman whose name escapes me).

The political spectrum isn't quite clear cut. I think this country works as the 3-party system (2.5 if you're feeling cruel). It helps keep people on the straight and narrow and creates some clear dividing lines. I don't however like Left Unity and UKIP sneaking into the fray.

The American Republicans do appear quite unelectable (at least from a British perspective). They're much worse than the Conservatives (no offence) who appear positively hippy next to some of their members. All the Democrats need to do is be sensible to win the next Presidential Election but if there's one thing Republicans know, it's propaganda.
MacDaddi
Report 4 years ago
UKIP are Neo-Liberal, extra-right wing (both economically and socially), NHS destroying, oddballs. But they're gaining success because Farage has convinced everyone he's an ordinary guy. What's worse is a lot of UKIP support identify as left of centre but are against the 'establishment'. Farage, the scapegoating nonce touts the immigration horn as the reason for all our problems to defend his rich, elitist, friends in the city. The reason we have (in RL) austerity, the reason public services are being mercilessly cut isn't because the strain of immigration its because the bankers cocked up and still we pay for their mistakes. An unimaginable debt (and 40bil interest a year on it) - a gift that should have been a loan. And so, Farage, a wolf in sheep's clothing may well prance into Westminster come 2015. I weep for the unthinking populist foundations of British Politics.

There, rant over.
Can't help but agree with you: neo-liberalism is hanging round like a bad smell. People who point the finger at immigrants for all our problems are not only incorrect but the blame game it is being used as a mask to hide deeper problems.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I like Clegg too, he's at least proven the Libs are capable of government.

There, rant over.
I agree with the broad sentiment though not the particular detail. That said, the important thing in this debate is that I do agree that Ukip are socially conservative, I know one or two libertarians are aghast at them tainting the word.

Hmmm, I think that may be an optimistic outlook. I don't really see anyone lining up to be the leader who can inspire confidence again (except *maybe* the Chairman whose name escapes me).

The political spectrum isn't quite clear cut. I think this country works as the 3-party system (2.5 if you're feeling cruel). It helps keep people on the straight and narrow and creates some clear dividing lines. I don't however like Left Unity and UKIP sneaking into the fray.

The American Republicans do appear quite unelectable (at least from a British perspective). They're much worse than the Conservatives (no offence) who appear positively hippy next to some of their members. All the Democrats need to do is be sensible to win the next Presidential Election but if there's one thing Republicans know, it's propaganda.
I like Alexander and Laws myself. Your thinking of Farron. Government has exposed the flaw of appealing to both left and right though so to succeed properly they really need to aim to weaken either Labour or the Tories.

Better the devil you know I say. The main three may not be perfect but I'd rather a moderate government than one who will pull us to the extreme. For all the hate, Labour never nationalized everything and there's still an NHS under the Tories.

Yup. Appealing to the extremes won't win you elections.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmm, if you sit in the standard class section of a split first/standard class carriage on east Midlands trains you still get the first class complimentary wifi. I shall have to do this more often

Posted from TSR Mobile
toronto353
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Hmm, if you sit in the standard class section of a split first/standard class carriage on east Midlands trains you still get the first class complimentary wifi. I shall have to do this more often

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that I might have got a free upgrade to first class from East Midlands trains a while back. Generally, from my limited experience, East Midlands trains aren't that bad, with one exception - the Skegness service is frankly like cattle class.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by toronto353)
I think that I might have got a free upgrade to first class from East Midlands trains a while back. Generally, from my limited experience, East Midlands trains aren't that bad, with one exception - the Skegness service is frankly like cattle class.
You should try abello greater anglia - to say that they're like garden sheds is an insult to garden sheds.

East Midlands are good, but grand central are the best I've experienced

Posted from TSR Mobile
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Let's take a moment to think of those people who have Arriva Trains Wales as their local operator.

Yet another justification for nationalisation.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not sure on that - I'd be having this as Labours:

Ouch lol
Sentiment reminds me of 'The Pink Flag'.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ouch lol
Sentiment reminds me of 'The Pink Flag'.
I was thinking more the lines that criticised Boris, Cameron and Osborne and asked why we'd "hang around with such nobs" tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MacDaddi
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Let's take a moment to think of those people who have Arriva Trains Wales as their local operator.

Yet another justification for nationalisation.
No it isn't, it is justification for fixing the market.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was thinking more the lines that criticised Boris, Cameron and Osborne and asked why we'd "hang around with such nobs" tbh.
Ah, I typed that whilst listening to the bit about posh people pretending to live in slums.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No it isn't, it is justification for fixing the market.
Or that, or anything to get rid of the "worst of both worlds" system we currently have.
Cryptographic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Or that, or anything to get rid of the "worst of both worlds" system we currently have.
Yep, privatisation has to be done right with the trains, there has to be competing operators on each route so that the monopolies are reduced and competition (therefore quality) pushed forwards.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1170)
79.38%
Leave (304)
20.62%

Watched Threads