Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    I wouldn't really rate Spain or Italy as complete big dogs any more, both are second in their group to complete poverty sides (Slovakia and Croatia), but then again so are Germany.

I'd go as far as saying France are favourites, their team is simply brilliant and signs of progress were shown in WC, as well as home advantage.

Tbh, on their day England should beat Italy or Spain, we should be aiming for at least Semis if not final, anything less and Woy should be sacked.

It'd be interesting to see what pots all the home nations would be in if they all progressed, if all the other 3 were in pot D (probable), it'd be more likely that we'd (England) get drawn against one of them than not
    You don't rate Spain? It's only one WC they flopped they are still Euro 2012 holders. If you think England is better than Spain then you should go and live moon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    You don't rate Spain? It's only one WC they flopped they are still Euro 2012 holders. If you think England is better than Spain then you should go and live moon!
    I'm not saying we're better, but an England team on their day should be beating Spain when they're playing average. It's not just the WC, when the going gets tough they have no plan B. Teams have started to figure them out and they're too set in their ways to alter their system

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying we're better, but an England team on their day should be beating Spain when they're playing average. It's not just the WC, when the going gets tough they have no plan B. Teams have started to figure them out and they're too set in their ways to alter their system
    That's the definition of a top team. Spain need an off day and the opponent to have the whole team on song and a bit of luck.

Spain have so much quality, heck even their bench would make most teams in the world.

England will lose to the first good team and lose. I don't think England will beat Italy tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Top teams can win a World Cup and be excused for crashing out of the next World Cup early, whereas a team that has never won a World Cup but went close several times just doesn't have what it takes to last the distance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icecream1)
    That's the definition of a top team. Spain need an off day and the opponent to have the whole team on song and a bit of luck.

Spain have so much quality, heck even their bench would make most teams in the world.

England will lose to the first good team and lose. I don't think England will beat Italy tomorrow.
    Nah, Spain don't need an 'off day' for us to beat them, I'm not saying they aren't a good team, but they certainly won't be favourites next year. If I was guessing the final now (assuming any combination of teams is possible), I'd pick Germany vs France, with England Spain and Italy fighting for the other 2 semi final places.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, Spain don't need an 'off day' for us to beat them, I'm not saying they aren't a good team, but they certainly won't be favourites next year. If I was guessing the final now (assuming any combination of teams is possible), I'd pick Germany vs France, with England Spain and Italy fighting for the other 2 semi final places.
    You're vastly over-estimating the England team. England are ****. Even if Spain and Italy aren't favourites for the final, they're still far superior to England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    You're vastly over-estimating the England team. England are ****. Even if Spain and Italy aren't favourites for the final, they're still far superior to England.
    Genuinely think Wales could turn us over, if they qualify they'll get further than us.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry what? Lay off the pipe Leinad. You're hitting that thing a little too hard.

ReputationRep:
    England fans are split between massively overestimating and massively underestimating the team. I'm not saying we're as good as Spain, I'm saying if the team performed we could beat them.

We can't grasp how good the team actually is from these ****ty meaningless victories against league 2 quality sides and friendlies, but we are still definitely a good national side. I would expect QF at a minimum which means we should be aiming for the SF at least, is that such as stupid statement to make?

ReputationRep:

We can't grasp how good the team actually is from these ****ty meaningless victories against league 2 quality sides and friendlies, but we are still definitely a good national side.
    You're right, we can't. So let's judge them on the actual competitive games they played 9 months ago... Oh yeah, they got 1 point out of 9.

ReputationRep:
    England could beat Spain? Lol and I'm the wum??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Lol and I'm the wum??
    That's twice you've said that in two days on this thread, so let me clear this up: yes, you are. There is a difference between holding a controversial opinion (leinad) and stating *******s for the sake of winding others up (you).

As for leinad's point, it is possible for England to beat Spain, but, as he said, only if England have a blinder and Spain have a shocker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    You're right, we can't. So let's judge them on the actual competitive games they played 9 months ago... Oh yeah, they got 1 point out of 9.
    Yet we don't judge Spain off their last competitive games where they took 3 points and lost to Slovakia a few months ago?

Look, I'm not going to say we're as good as Spain, we simply aren't, but they certainly aren't the team they used to be now the likes of Puyol and Casillas are gone. Whether players like De Gea and Costa can fill the gaps left, only time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    England were at one point of this decade the third best national team in the world. I'd have thought that was only because of John Terry and Ashley Cole
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...chester-united

scroll down and go to "most accurate passes" who would have thought :lol:

ReputationRep:
    We should never have got rid of Terry, I hate to admit it but we should have just told Ferdi and his brother to **** off for the good of the national team.

Our issue now is the midfield, Carrick Hendo and Llama have about as much penetration capability as a pre pubescent 10 year old midget with erectile disfunction...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...chester-united scroll down and go to "most accurate passes" who would have thought :lol:
    It helps that he only gets played at the end of games, when other teams are too tired to chase the ball. It also helps that most of his passes are sideways/backwards. He drops back between the CBs when he is on, so it makes sense his accuracy is about similar to other CBs.

Love seeing Welbz's shot conversion rate. Dat accuracy doe.

ReputationRep:
    We should never have got rid of Terry, I hate to admit it but we should have just told Ferdi and his brother to **** off for the good of the national team.

Our issue now is the midfield, Carrick Hendo and Llama have about as much penetration capability as a pre pubescent 10 year old midget with erectile disfunction...
    Carrick is massively underused for the national team. He seems to be lumped in with the useless players United have carried over the years, which is unfair to him. He is actually crucial for the national team, because he can sit in front of defenders, and has an incredibly good passing range, most of which is forward. Yes, he isn't exactly Wilshere, who loves to take the ball and run forward with it (usually into an opposition player), but he doesn't need to be, because that's not his playing style.

ReputationRep:
    Old habits die hard :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    Old habits die hard :rolleyes:
    Don't take this the wrong way, because it's definitely not meant to be offensive, but do you not have a Leeds thread to comment on? I say that as a person who's dad is a Leeds fan, and I keep up with them most weeks, so I'd be interested to see one on here, or is there just not enough support for it to be worthwhile?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.