The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I have yet to hear a coherent argument against TTIP, and as such have been given no reason to fear or oppose it.
TTIP needs to be fair for both European countries and the USA, whereas at the moment it is one sided towards the USA. In the context of aviation, American companies can enter the EU to buyout European aviation companies or start up a competitor, however, European companies are blocked from owning majority stakes in the U.S. market or from operating inter-USA flights. The imbalance of markets freedom and the rights companies have from both the USA and EU give a competitive advantage to the USA. Secondly, in the context of wider business, American companies can invest in Europe, buyout European companies and American citizens can be business leaders in the Europe. However, in the USA European companies can not own an American company fully, there must be x percentage owned by Americans, and Europeans cannot become the CEO of the company. When Tesco started its USA adventure, the law prevented the formation of a Tesco USA headed up by a longtime Tesco executive in Britain, implementing an international clubcard as was planned. Tesco had to settle for a majority owned semi-subsidy headed up by an American ho had no experience of Tesco; the venture has failed. In a trade and investment deal this inequality cannot exist if you want European companies to benefit from it.

The argument Blue Meltwater brings has a great topical point behind it. When the Royal Navy has new ships built the work is nearly always handed to a British shipyard to maintain British shipbuilding skills. Under TTIP another non-British, European or American shipbuilding company can sue the British government for illegal business aid. There was uproar when the British government awarded a contract to build trains to a German company; imagine if the government would be sued if it not award the contract to a German company. TTIP is too vague on the conditions for a business to sue a government which is part of the reason I oppose it. The government should be sovereign, not a treaty which allows a business to sue a government over a law.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Given he's supposed to be the guy the unions are backing I wouldn't be surprised if it's "I'm going to shift to the left, but not explicitly say it"
If Labour stay where they are now or move to the left the party will not see a majority until it become more centre again. Under FPTP only the middle to upper classes earning above the national average matter, capable of returning a majority for any party who targets them.

This article summaries my hatred of modern Britain.
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
Tuesday, my second Religion paper. How are yours going? I think mine would go better if I wasn't feeling like a crazy person.

Hey, I appreciate it.
Good luck for Tuesday!
I always find it's better to feel like a crazy person it's what's getting me through my finals at the moment haha!!
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm pissed off, and I need a drink!
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
I'm pissed off, and I need a drink!
Whats wrong? I'll join you for a drink

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe he isn't gonna be an MP this term?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I don't think that's a reason to be pissed off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd be annoyed, especially given how many seats the torys have this term.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need to be writing a manifesto and everything. Been too busy.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I vowed that I would never ever ever wear glasses - now I've got to for near sighted work and screen work - so that's only about 24 hours a day...
(Original post by Aph)
Ahh, you'll be glad to know I will be an MP this term!

(Original post by James Milibanter)
Good luck!
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I vowed that I would never ever ever wear glasses - now I've got to for near sighted work and screen work - so that's only about 24 hours a day...

Good luck!
I've always worn glasses, honestly they are great and you never notice them...

ahh, so when will we be hearing the Tory MP announcement?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I've always worn glasses, honestly they are great and you never notice them...

ahh, so when will we be hearing the Tory MP announcement?
Well, I'll look ****ing stupid in glasses - I just had to tell the advisor to pick some that he thought would suit me - tried em on, and had him tell me which were best lol - he could've been a massive **** and given me ****ty ones xD
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Good luck!
Glasses aren't so bad. I wore them for like 6 months, but I don't need them anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Glasses aren't so bad. I wore them for like 6 months, but I don't need them anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mmm, maybe a sneak peak of them why they're ready!
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, I'll look ****ing stupid in glasses - I just had to tell the advisor to pick some that he thought would suit me - tried em on, and had him tell me which were best lol - he could've been a massive **** and given me ****ty ones xD
No you won't I guess you'll go with wire frames though because chunky plastic ones would look awful on you...
everyone looks better with glasses on.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
No you won't I guess you'll go with wire frames though because chunky plastic ones would look awful on you...
everyone looks better with glasses on.
They're kind in between actually - not massively chunky, but not wire ones - I actually hated the wire ones the optician had!

At least very few people will ever see me wearing them!
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're kind in between actually - not massively chunky, but not wire ones - I actually hated the wire ones the optician had!

At least very few people will ever see me wearing them!
You have me intrigued now...

i wanna see you wearing them!!!
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
You have me intrigued now...

i wanna see you wearing them!!!
Maybe
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe
I expect an updated profile so definitely.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads